Cat scratch rabies risk?

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I am very anxious about this so please dont judge me.

One month ago I found a cat which I have been feeding on the street was crawling. I took him to the vet. He got shot by someone. He took a surgery and he was fine. He stayed in vet for 3 weeks. I took him last monday and taking care of him in the garden. In tuesday I was trying to put some cream on him and he scratch me. I clean the wound and got a tetanus shot. But not rabies shot. He was in the garden for almost 10-11 day but now he is missing. I am freaking out that he might died or he might have rabies. He was acting fine besides he is not fully recovered. I dont think he manage the jump from 1 meter wall. But the garden is a mess I looked everywhere but he is not there. What are possibilities?

Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very, very, low. Rabies is transmitted by the saliva of an infected animal. Transferred to a deep puncture wound by a bite. Since it was a scratch and not a bite, the chances are very slim unless you somehow transferred some of his saliva to an open wound you had, and even then it is slim. This is the beginning of the time of year rabies appear, but there would be others in your area reported to be affected. It doesn't just spontaneously appear.
From one that has been bitten deeply by feral cats and then have them disappear, I know what you are going through. Speak to the vet that treated the cat, he would be of some support too. He would know if there were reports of rabies in the area. I really don't think you have much to worry about. Bless you for helping that little guy. You are a champion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very, very, low. Rabies is transmitted by the saliva of an infected animal. Transferred to a deep puncture wound by a bite. Since it was a scratch and not a bite, the chances are very slim unless you somehow transferred some of his saliva to an open wound you had, and even then it is slim. This is the beginning of the time of year rabies appear, but there would be others in your area reported to be affected. It doesn't just spontaneously appear.
From one that has been bitten deeply by feral cats and then have them disappear, I know what you are going through. Speak to the vet that treated the cat, he would be of some support too. He would know if there were reports of rabies in the area. I really don't think you have much to worry about. Bless you for helping that little guy. You are a champion!
I am living this neighbourhood for 2.5 years and I never heard of rabies around this city and the cat just had one night in the garden then scrathed me. The vet thinks it is impossible since he was there for 3 weeks and just for one night he can get. He cant walk or anything he said. And the rabied animal cant jump from your wall he said. And we dont live near any wildlife exposure kind of city. I know I sound crazy but I have anxiety disorder and panic disorder this makes mee feel really bad

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Practically zero risk from a scratch. Like di and bob said it's transmitted by saliva. There may be a tiny chance if the Cat had just groomed his paws before scratching you, but even then it's so remote as to be all but impossible.

If you're worried here is a very detailed article about the disease, including symptoms and incubation period.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Listen to your vet. I had some anxious times too, and I was bitten, so I know how worrisome this can be. Rabies usually come out in hot weather, so depending on where you are, it is too early. You might search for the cat a little more, if you see he is fine, you would feel better. If there have been no reports of rabies present, and you were only scratched, I personally would not worry. The chances are next to zero. The coronavirus is much more worrisome!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am living this neighbourhood for 2.5 years and I never heard of rabies around this city and the cat just had one night in the garden then scrathed me. The vet thinks it is impossible since he was there for 3 weeks and just for one night he can get. He cant walk or anything he said. And the rabied animal cant jump from your wall he said. And we dont live near any wildlife exposure kind of city. I know I sound crazy but I have anxiety disorder and panic disorder this makes mee feel really bad
Rabies is pretty much non-existent in the metropolitan cities of Turkey among pets fyi, and extremely rare in rural regions. You are fine.

And rabies is a very fast-acting disease in animals like dogs and cats. You would see symptoms like aggression for no reason, drooling, loss of balance, etc if the cat had rabies. Sounds like the cat just got scared of the ointment to protect the wound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am living this neighbourhood for 2.5 years and I never heard rabies and the cat just had one night in the garden then scrathed me. The vet thinks is impossible since he was there for 3 weeks and just for one night he can get. And we dont libe
Rabies is pretty much non-existent in the metropolitan cities of Turkey among pets fyi, and extremely rare in rural regions. You are fine.

And rabies is a very fast-acting disease in animals like dogs and cats. You would see symptoms like aggression for no reason, drooling, loss of balance, etc if the cat had rabies. Sounds like the cat just got scared of the ointment to protect the wound.
yeah he was very scarred. And after this scratch accident he was fine for 10-11 days and before that he was in vet clinic for 3 weeks. I think I need therapy for this and coronovirus I am much mooore anxious! :( thanks you all 🙏