Cat Scooting

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I need some advice. My youngest kitty (3 1/2 years old) has this habit of scooting his behind on some of the carpety surfaces in my home for quite a few months, possibly more than a year, now. When I took him to the vet last time for his vaccine renewal, I mentioned this to him and asked if he could check my cat's anal glands, as it is often the cause of such behaviour. He did have a look and said they were fine, and thought nothing of the issue. Since then, my cat has kept doing this on a regular basis, and I'm sad for him if he has some degree of discomfort. I tried cleaning his behind thinking he might be annoyed by dried up poop back there, but minutes after, he was doing it again. Reading on the subject, it seems there could be other causes, such as parasites. I highly doubt that's the case as he's been dewormed as a kitten and has been living inside since. He also has none of the other common symptoms like soft stool, vomitting or lethargy. Another cause is allergies which I guess makes the most sense then, however he doesn't seem to be itchy anywhere else or constantly scratching. How do I go about determining what he is allergic to if he is?? Could it be the litter I use? Or possibly his food? Food would be one hell of an issue as he shares kibbles with my other cat that needs a specific diet to treat his CKD, and I cannot forego that.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat that did this also, when we had carpet. I don't know what the issue was, as she was vetted, too. I hope someone comes along that has more information on the subject.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all - I would suspect the litter. Litter should not have any fragrance nor perfume and ESPECIALLY not Febreeze, even unscented. Sometimes litter labeled as unscented/fragrance-free will have residual chemicals because it is processed in the same equipment as scented litter. Until a solution is discovered, you could try a thin layer of coconut oil on his rearend. Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all - I would suspect the litter. Litter should not have any fragrance nor perfume and ESPECIALLY not Febreeze, even unscented. Sometimes litter labeled as unscented/fragrance-free will have residual chemicals because it is processed in the same equipment as scented litter. Until a solution is discovered, you could try a thin layer of coconut oil on his rearend. Please keep us posted!
In the attached images is the litter I use. It's sold at Costco here in Canada. It doesn't look to be scented, though it says "Fresh Scent" whatever that means. I was already thinking of changing litter for something more eco-friendly in the future, like vegetal litter, so when this box is done, I'll try switching and see if that makes any changes. I also occasionally use Arm & Hammer litter deodorizer, which is basically baking soda, though it does look to be strongly scented. I could use straight up baking soda instead for odour absorption. As for the coconut oil, is that something made for cat use? Do you have a brand in mind? Is it supposed to alleviate itching? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:disappointed: Fresh scent is fragrance and the A&H deodorizer contains chemicals as well. I would discontinue both immediately. You can add straight baking soda to the box instead. Smart& Final and Costco have 3lb plastic buckets at a good price.
I use raw, organic coconut oil that is made for human consumption. Cats can eat coconut oil & often do when they instinctively know that they need it; you can ask your vet. Here's a link from a vet hospital:
Coconut Oil...a Natural Remedy | Prairie View Animal Hospital

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
valou999 valou999 did you ever figure out what the issue was? My cat does this too and I haven’t taken her to the vet about it. She’s done it for a while, originally bc of constipation and she’s now somewhat regular but continues to scoot. Let me know if you ever found anything possible resolution to this.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I need some advice. My youngest kitty (3 1/2 years old) has this habit of scooting his behind on some of the carpety surfaces in my home for quite a few months, possibly more than a year, now. When I took him to the vet last time for his vaccine renewal, I mentioned this to him and asked if he could check my cat's anal glands, as it is often the cause of such behaviour. He did have a look and said they were fine, and thought nothing of the issue. Since then, my cat has kept doing this on a regular basis, and I'm sad for him if he has some degree of discomfort. I tried cleaning his behind thinking he might be annoyed by dried up poop back there, but minutes after, he was doing it again. Reading on the subject, it seems there could be other causes, such as parasites. I highly doubt that's the case as he's been dewormed as a kitten and has been living inside since. He also has none of the other common symptoms like soft stool, vomitting or lethargy. Another cause is allergies which I guess makes the most sense then, however he doesn't seem to be itchy anywhere else or constantly scratching. How do I go about determining what he is allergic to if he is?? Could it be the litter I use? Or possibly his food? Food would be one hell of an issue as he shares kibbles with my other cat that needs a specific diet to treat his CKD, and I cannot forego that.
Try not to let him eat the kibble. If it is prescription it is low protein and especially for a male he needs canned for moisture. It will help him use the litter box. Does he have any trouble going pee?