Cat scared of interactive play toys

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Frida is 5 years old and we've had her since early January of 2016. My boyfriend and I adopted her from a shelter and don't know much about her past family, but we did "foster" her for a couple weeks before we could finalize her adoption because she needed to be spayed. (This is our first post so I put some pictures at the bottom!)
She is the most loving cat we could ask for. She nudges us for pets, rolls over to get belly rubs, and cuddles with us at night. She is a little skittish though, and unfamiliar people frighten her, particularly men. We have been trying for a while to figure out the best toys to use to play with her, because we found out quickly that most toys will not interest her or will actually scare and stress her out.

The first few toys we tried all were no good. We bought a little ball that rolls around with a couple feathers on it and a bell inside: this was the first one and it just didn't do it for her. The next was a wand with a plush mouse on a string with a squeaker inside: this still scares the crap out of her (the noise particularly). We thought for sure a laser pointer would grab her attention but even that red dot scares her. She'll run away from it or cower in a corner until it's gone.

When those failed we went back to the drawing board and just started watching her behavior. She loves attacking paper laying on the ground or plastic rings, so we figured she's definitely more of a ground hunter and tried to find some toys that cater to those needs. We found plush mice that have catnip pouches and she loves batting those around and pouncing on them. Jackson galaxy has little foam cube-ish things that bounce in different directions she likes as well. We got a flat mouse with crinkle paper inside and feathers on the corners that she's not interested in (but not scared of!). She also is crazy about attacking things moving under the covers, like feet, if she's feeling energetic. (I might have accidentally encouraged this because it was one of the few times I could be engaged in her play sessions, but now it can be frustrating at night if she has too much energy, especially because I move my feet a lot)!

What I want the most is to use interactive toys with her so that we can help stimulate her and give her more exercise than she's getting now. We bought another wand toy without a squeaker attached that had a purple wormy thing attached, but she cowers when we hold it. We even attached one of her favorite mice to it but she still is scared of it. An interesting observation I made was that if I'm in bed playing with her, I can hold a plush mouse by the tail and cover my arm with the comforter and gently move the mouse to pique her interest. She almost always pounces when I do this because she thinks it's actually the mouse moving since I'm hiding my arm. If I have nothing hiding that it's me moving the mouse, she becomes disinterested. I tried the same comforter technique with the wand toy, but I feel like she was suspicious and didn't want to play because of the wiry line attached to the mouse, but I don't know for sure.

I want her to be able to hunt something "alive" but I don't know what interactive toys she won't be scared of. I feel like an electronic toy may make noise or be too intense for her. She just isn't as stimulated as she should be and we both feel frustrated that we're trying different types of play with her with more failures than successes.

TLDR: Do you have suggestions for interactive toys that don't make noise that might not scare an easily frightened ground hunter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the long nature of this post, we just really need some advice from dedicated cat lovers, so I wanted to be thorough!
:rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:
I'm Emily by the way!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's adorable!  Some kitties just aren't fans of feathers.  My favorite interactive toys with my kitties are DaBird, The Cat Dancer, and the Cat Charmer.  However, most of the time, I drag them on the floor and they like to pounce on it.  Since she likes paper, make some paper balls and let her bat those around. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Frida looks so much like my brown tabby girl [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ When I adopted my kitty, I did not know much about her history but I suspected there were some issues with trauma. She would cower if I raised my hand or if there were loud, angry voices on the tv. My kitty is a lot like Frida in that she loves things that crawl on the ground vs. flying things. Da Bird has a mouse attachment that my cat is nuts over....when I pick the wand up to use it, I never hold it up higher than waist high and it's always pointing down towards the ground. My cat also loves to chase balls. In addition to paper balls, I buy mini sized balls that are for small dogs: they roll far but there are no bells or noisemakers inside.
I think in time with lots of consistent love and stability, Frida will move past the things that trigger her fearful responses. I have had my kitty almost four years now and though she is still a bit of a scardy cat; her responses to things that used to trigger a fearful response, no longer do. She will continue to blossom under your love and good care [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stephanie, I've seen lots of people recommend Da Bird so I'll go look that up after this! And I like the paper ball idea, it's cost effective! :)

And HelloMissKitty, your cat does sound a lot like Frida! I'll take your advice on how I use the wands so I can reduce the chance it frightens her. I hope my Frida will come more out of her shell over time like your lovely kitty!

Any ideas about her seeming disinterested when I'm the one making a toy move?

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: Today I caught her in a playful mood and was able to entice her with the wand toy with her favorite mouse on the end for a couple minutes. Since she was on the bed, she was about level with where I was holding the wand so I don't think that frightened her, but she heard a noise outside and it seemed to take her back to reality and she got scared. I tried to get her interest back in the mouse, but she would only follow it with her eyes and wouldn't pounce. Her body was still a little tense since she was very alert after her scare, and she hopped under the bed after I couldn't keep her interested. Baby steps!

Would rewarding her with treats help? I just worry that she would lose interest in the toy when I present a treat and not know that the treat is encouraging the playing.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Today I caught her in a playful mood and was able to entice her with the wand toy with her favorite mouse on the end for a couple minutes. Since she was on the bed, she was about level with where I was holding the wand so I don't think that frightened her, but she heard a noise outside and it seemed to take her back to reality and she got scared. I tried to get her interest back in the mouse, but she would only follow it with her eyes and wouldn't pounce. Her body was still a little tense since she was very alert after her scare, and she hopped under the bed after I couldn't keep her interested. Baby steps!

Would rewarding her with treats help? I just worry that she would lose interest in the toy when I present a treat and not know that the treat is encouraging the playing.
Yay!!
I think rewarding with treats is a great idea. It will help her associate the wand or whatever might typically frighten her with good things. Another idea would be to feed her a small meal of a yummy wet food that she loves after a play session..again, association with something good.

One trick I do with my kitty and her mouse/wand toy to get her very excited to play is I move the mouse around and then let it go still, then move it around, let it go still (trying to mimic how a mouse would really move around). A lot of the time my cat will actually pounce on the mouse when it's still...she gets super excited when it goes still[emoji]128570[/emoji]

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay!!
I think rewarding with treats is a great idea. It will help her associate the wand or whatever might typically frighten her with good things. Another idea would be to feed her a small meal of a yummy wet food that she loves after a play session..again, association with something good.

One trick I do with my kitty and her mouse/wand toy to get her very excited to play is I move the mouse around and then let it go still, then move it around, let it go still (trying to mimic how a mouse would really move around). A lot of the time my cat will actually pounce on the mouse when it's still...she gets super excited when it goes still[emoji]128570[/emoji]
I like the wet food idea, she goes nuts for her favorite so that would be a great reward! I'll try letting the mouse go still more, I just get too excited when she plays that I move it a lot lol. And a few minutes ago she was playing with the whole thing and was "killing" the wand handle, so it was great to see her already a little less afraid of the toy itself! [emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the wet food idea, she goes nuts for her favorite so that would be a great reward! I'll try letting the mouse go still more, I just get too excited when she plays that I move it a lot lol. And a few minutes ago she was playing with the whole thing and was "killing" the wand handle, so it was great to see her already a little less afraid of the toy itself! [emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji]
It takes expirementing to figure out what each cat likes. Every cat is so different. Since Frida like ground things, bug toys are great options. I have this one and my cat freaks out when I bring it out:
https://www.chewy.com/neko-flies-katarantula-spider-cat/dp/39188

Different companies like Neko Flies and Da Bird will sell the wand and then you can buy all different types of attachments depending on your cats taste in prey. The Neko Flies is a little more expensive than Da Bird or some others but they seem to be a little more well made...my kitty had yet to destroy any of the attachments yet [emoji]128572[/emoji]

Glad you are having fun expirementing and playing with your girl...sounds like she has a wonderful forever home with loving guardians [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]