Cat Scab?

dvgcii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys!

I have a female 3 year old cat and I was cleaning her ears one day and noticed that she had this red scab looking underneath her ear. It's a bit raised but not that much as you can see from the photos. She also has one on underneath her other ear but it isn't that red. She shakes and scratches her ears pretty often. I also have 2 other cats; another male 3 year old and a female 3-4 month old. They usually hang out in a room that has cracks and slits to the outside but we don't let them out. The little one does play a bit rough and wrestles with her and I figured that that might be it but I'm not too sure. IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2099.JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Any suggestions, including mine, are mere guesses as there could be many reasons for the scabs. Ear mites, ear infection, food/environmental/seasonal allergies, to name a few.

Try using a grocery store chamomile tea bag (no other additives), steep it, cool it, and then dab it on the sores with a cotton ball. The chamomile has both soothing and healing properties. If it doesn't get better, or you find more scabs, you are probably best off to make a vet visit. They can either tell right off what it is or take a skin scraping (sounds worse than it is) and test for possible causes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dvgcii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Any suggestions, including mine, are mere guesses as there could be many reasons for the scabs. Ear mites, ear infection, food/environmental/seasonal allergies, to name a few.

Try using a grocery store chamomile tea bag (no other additives), steep it, cool it, and then dab it on the sores with a cotton ball. The chamomile has both soothing and healing properties. If it doesn't get better, or you find more scabs, you are probably best off to make a vet visit. They can either tell right off what it is or take a skin scraping (sounds worse than it is) and test for possible causes.
Thanks for responding! No for sure. I just wanted to know what other people think about it or had any similar experiences. I'll give it a couple days to see if it gets better. We took her to the vet a couple months ago (when she didn't have the scab) due to shaking her head a lot and the production of a ton of earwax, but they didn't really say anything helpful :/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then, I think she might have more earwax. That too can cause scratching and head shaking. So, if that is the case the vet needs to look further into what is going on with the constant ear wax. If they don't want to, time for a different vet.