Cat Safe Insect Repellent

DJJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there anything in off or other products that might be harmful to my cats if they lick me after I spray myself? I would never use a spray (or lotion) on my pets, but I wonder about their safety if it is on my skin.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a product that contains permethrin. You spray it on the clothing you are going to wear outside and let it dry before you put them on. Once dried, it's not harmful, and the clothing can be worn several times, and in some cases even washed without being affected- it depends on the specific product. I use it primarily against ticks and mosquitos.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a product that contains permethrin. You spray it on the clothing you are going to wear outside and let it dry before you put them on. Once dried, it's not harmful,
And I will be looking for just such a product!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DJJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which product do you use?
Thank you.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm interested in knowing as well since we've had non stop rains for a year and rivers completely flooding the mosquitos here are considered very dangerous.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a product that contains permethrin. You spray it on the clothing you are going to wear outside and let it dry before you put them on. Once dried, it's not harmful, and the clothing can be worn several times, and in some cases even washed without being affected- it depends on the specific product. I use it primarily against ticks and mosquitos.
This is a helpful addendum to human use of permethrin --
If You Spray Your Clothes With Permethrin, Be Careful Around The Cat

Is there anything in off or other products that might be harmful to my cats if they lick me after I spray myself? I would never use a spray (or lotion) on my pets, but I wonder about their safety if it is on my skin.
I personally wouldn't let cats lick any skin or clothing that has been sprayed with insect repellents.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since mosquitoes can be a real danger to cats, make sure that your flea product also protects against heart worms. Cats DO get them, and there is no treatment or cure for them in cats yet.