Cat-safe Houseplants

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Sorry if this is not the right forum but can you cat experts tell me what indoor plants are safe for cats? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information when I Google, so thought maybe I can get a better answer here. Also most people talk about dangerous-for-cats plants, not safe ones, but that’s not what I want to know.

Oh, and no flower plants, don’t like them.

My next question will probably be ‘How to keep cats off plants?’ in the behavior forum haha.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of plants in my house, and most of them are on the "unsafe" list. The key for me was training them to leave them alone. I did that with "booby trap tape"

Spider plants seem to be the most tempting for them. I think because they resemble grass. So, I tend to keep them in difficult to reach areas (hanging, or on inaccessible shelves)

They seem to leave the Ficus alone, for the most part. Occasionally they will play with the dead leaves, but they don't go after the green. They also seem to leave the Rubber plant alone, as the leaves are just too thick and awkward for them to care about.

It's a good question, I've never really investigated a "safe" houseplant list.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of houseplants, too. Some of them are on the toxic plant list, but they must not be very toxic because Mingo chews on them. One is a peace lily (it's not a true lily), which is very chewed up with no reaction from the cats. Mine is the size of a shrub and the cats love to hide behind it and ambush each other. They also chew on my spider plant with no ill effect. One type of plant you might enjoy are succulents. I don't know if they are toxic, but the cats have zip interest in them. They also don't bother my orchids, although one is so large they bang into it playing and break off pieces.

Putting the plants up high solves the problem. My ivy is on the mantle (I'd move it if I had a fire), and the pothos is in a hanging planter.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Orchids, christmas cacti, gerbera daisies, spider plants, and lavender are all plants I have had that are safe. There are also many herbs you can grow that cats can safely eat like basil, dill, rosemary, catnip, and parsley :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My plants may be cat-safe, but my cats aren't plant-safe :lol:.

While spider plants and pothos often show up on "not safe" lists, they're only mildly irritating, not toxic. Might make the kitties throw up, that's all. They don't care, lol. Christmas cacti are good too, but take a long time to come back from being eaten, as do most succulents. Spiky cacti are usually pretty safe ;).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. Spider plants seem like a good shout.

I'm kinda bummed that there's no actual vetted list of safe plants out there, coz I won't even consider plants that are not proven to be completely safe.

I have zero plants right now, so it'd be easier for me to just pick ones from a safe list rather than working backwards from the many toxic/unsafe lists.

Super grateful for the tips to keep them off, though!

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of plants in my house, and most of them are on the "unsafe" list. The key for me was training them to leave them alone. I did that with "booby trap tape"
Very interested in the 'booby trap tape' method... what is it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Artificial plants are obvious and they require no maintenance other than an occasional dusting:) Of course you do need to be aware that some cats will chew on fake plants. Paper plants are quite popular.

There's a list of non-toxic plants here: Poisonous Plants

I have a "Crispy Wave" fern plant (Japanese Asplenium nidus) at home which has been chewed on :rolleyes: It just caused a bit of vomiting. I also have air plants.

Cat grass and catnip are two easy to grow cat-safe plants.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As stated:
There's a list of non-toxic plants here: Poisonous Plants
When I googled it I had to scroll down past the list of toxic plants. I am a breeder and I also have plants ( I am a Certified Master Gardener). I would be lost without plants! There are some that my cats don't bother with - my orchids mainly. I also have hibiscus, bougainvillea, and a stephanotis vine - they don't bother any of them, other than occasionally wanting to sleep in the pots since all are in 12 to 18 inch pots.

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have pothos, ficus, pennywort, water wisteria, duckweeed, and others. My cat only touches and eats the cat grass I planted for her. My other cat doesn't seem to be too interested in plants. If I noticed my cat going to those toxic/questionable plants to chew, I would toss them out. Or put some that are ok with my birds. She has been fine with them for at least a year.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interested in the 'booby trap tape' method... what is it?
It's a method that takes a bit of perseverance...

Lay out 2-3 inch squares of thick packing tape sticky side up around areas you want them to avoid. When they land on the squares, they will stick to the paws. They hate that! They will have to go through all the bother of pulling the tape off their paws. It may be a bit uncomfortable, but it is not really harmful and will make an impression!

You do want to make sure the tape is thick and sturdy, as the cheap thin stuff will tear and not come off easily.

The only trick for humans is not getting the squares on themselves! I've had them get blown on the floor by a passing breeze (person moving swiftly, open window/door). Many's the times I've had to go about picking up tape from the floors.

Also, tape needs to be replaced until kitty gets the message (and some cats are more stubborn than others).

Alternatively, you might figure a way to lay long strips sticky side up, but in such a manner that they will remain in position, so they don't stick to the paws. Kitty still hates the sticky stuff they've landed on, but will not have to hassle with pulling squares off. (Also easier on floors & humans).

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a method that takes a bit of perseverance...

Lay out 2-3 inch squares of thick packing tape sticky side up around areas you want them to avoid. When they land on the squares, they will stick to the paws. They hate that! They will have to go through all the bother of pulling the tape off their paws. It may be a bit uncomfortable, but it is not really harmful and will make an impression!

You do want to make sure the tape is thick and sturdy, as the cheap thin stuff will tear and not come off easily.

The only trick for humans is not getting the squares on themselves! I've had them get blown on the floor by a passing breeze (person moving swiftly, open window/door). Many's the times I've had to go about picking up tape from the floors.

Also, tape needs to be replaced until kitty gets the message (and some cats are more stubborn than others).

Alternatively, you might figure a way to lay long strips sticky side up, but in such a manner that they will remain in position, so they don't stick to the paws. Kitty still hates the sticky stuff they've landed on, but will not have to hassle with pulling squares off. (Also easier on floors & humans).
Thanks this is brilliant! Is it safe to assume that the adhesive from the tape is not toxic for cats? Just in case some get on their fur and they lick it.

As stated:

When I googled it I had to scroll down past the list of toxic plants.
You're right, I missed that you have to scroll past all the toxic plants. Thanks!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks this is brilliant! Is it safe to assume that the adhesive from the tape is not toxic for cats? Just in case some get on their fur and they lick it.
Most of the adhesive stays on the tape. There may be a very slight residue, but it is negligible... just like when you handle it, there isn't much that stays on the skin. It is more likely that they will leave fur behind, but that is not going to hurt them all that much (cat's fur naturally releases with tugging, and it will grow back after training period).

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I lived in a basement apartment with low lighting before moving and so I needed low light + safe for cats. I had a nerve plant, christmas cactus, lemon button ferns and a prayer plant. I did also have aloe and a snake plant, but Amber never touched them.

The only problem I ever had was Amber loves to headbutt literally everything and once she knocked my prayer plant off the kitchen table and broke the vase. Turns out that was more dangerous than the plant itself so maybe put them somewhere smarter than I did where they can't fall over!