Cat safe house plants

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recommendation on house plants (not flowers) that are safe to cats AND cat's won't chew. 3 out 4 really like tearing leaves off of plants. I had to keep a palm tree on top of the fridge to keep it from being shredded. It finally got too big, had to give it away. I tried some small potted basil and lentil plants, I thought the were out of reach, but I guess they figured out a way to get to them when no one it watching.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish I could help you. The half life of a potted plant around here is about two days. They'll eat them right down to the dirt. They even got into a covered garden plant starter and ate the seedlings!

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like bird's nest fern, prayer plant, Swedish ivy, pancake plant, and African violets! My cats eat my bamboo palm and spider plant but they're hardy and nontoxic so, hey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like bird's nest fern, prayer plant, Swedish ivy, pancake plant, and African violets! My cats eat my bamboo palm and spider plant but they're hardy and nontoxic so, hey.
They leave the ivy, fern, prayer plant alone?

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With my young cats, I have been unable to find any sort of plant which could be classified as "cats won't chew"

But I have a Bamboo plant and a Pachira Money Tree which aren't technically toxic to cats. Lucky Bamboo is though, so gotta be careful there choosing that plant.

I discovered plant stands when my 'don't chew yucky sprays' didn't work, and my plants are enjoyable at eye level, and cats can't get to them! I still would only do it with plants I'm comfortable with my cats somehow getting a hold of though.

An effective plant stand:
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.19.48 AM.png

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They leave the ivy, fern, prayer plant alone?
Yup! They don't have dangly bits - the Swedish ivy (also called Swedish begonia) leaves are really wide and unexciting I guess. The fern is dense and upright (unlike a bamboo or parlor palm), and the prayer plant also has wide, close-to-the-stem, boring leaves.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn’t care about rubber plants, and I believe they’re also non-toxic. I guess the leaves aren’t dangly enough? Zebra haworthia and echevarias are fine too, if you like succulents. My cat mostly ignores my succulents and cacti.

Another good solution is hanging planters that aren’t near shelves/cabinets that cats could use to get to them.