Cat randomly attacking me unprovoked

hazelbeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I'm having a strange problem with my Maine Coon. He has been making a high pitched snarl, and then biting me, and when he bites he pulls the skin (or hair, in the case that I'm lying down he'll bite my head) and tries to tug me away. This is all completely unprovoked (but if I try to pet him he almost always does this now). He is about 8, and I've had him for 1.5 years. Up until 2 weeks ago, he was super friendly and lovey. Now he is suddenly extremely aggressive toward me. Moments after he lashes out he might purr and nudge up against me, it is really really strange. 

No changes in the house or in diet etc. The only thing that has changed is that he used to be allowed up on our stairs, but our housemate has asked us to keep him off the stairs now.

Anyone dealt with this before? Any advice??

Thank you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hazelbeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention- He is not aggressive in this way toward my husband. I am the one who feeds him, but besides that we both have had a similar relationship to him in the past.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi HazelBeet and welcome to TCS

I'm not so sure about the stair thing... does that mean he used to be able to go up to a second storey but now is not allowed?

I'm also wondering whether there may be a health issue as normally affectionate cats who suddenly turn aggressive may have a problem.  The fact that he nudges straight afterwards makes me feel this is an instant response that may be motivated by  pain.

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I go on vacation for a weekend or my cat is just bored, he does the same thing. I think that barring a medical condition, your cat may be looking for more attention from you. My cat is very young and likes to play a lot, and I also spend a lot of time with him at home. So when his routine is interrupted, he tends to lash out at me. You know your cat's body language--when he gets that mean look on his face, try to clap your hands or yell NO. Maybe you're touching him somewhere sensitive, or somewhere threatening that makes him think you wanna fight or play? 

You might want to pay close attention to his body language right before these incidents occur to figure out if he's just playing aggressively or really wants to fight. I learned a lot from http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior , there is an Aggression Issues section that is really helpful. 

santa fe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats will lash out if he thinks you're on the phone too long -- and it's invariably 20-25 minutes -- then he jumps in your lap, or on a nearby table, gives you "the look," and lunges for the wrist of the hand holding the phone.  So I also think, barring a medical condition, it's a matter of the cat wanting more attention, and (in this case) the phone is interrupting his routine,  What I don't understand is . . . how does he know when exactly 20-25 minutes is up????!!!