Cat pulling on fabrics

cometbt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Last night, my cat started exhibiting a new behavior that seems to be turning obsessive very quickly. He started pulling at the fabric on his bed with his teeth, over and over again. He doesn't seem to be eating anything, but I'm not sure if that's just because he isn't really getting any fabric off. It was the middle of the night and I was exhausted, so the only thing I could think to do at that point was to remove his bed (he has other sleeping options) and eventually he ended up going over to his window seat and pulling on that fabric. He even tried to do it on my bed at one point. His bed definitely seems to be the most popular though (it is the softest). He threw up last night too, which I'm not sure was related or just a coincidence. Anyone seen anything like this? Doesn't seem to be a trigger for it, he just goes in his bed and starts pulling on the fabric. He's got a cat tree and a bunch of toys that I'd be totally fine with him chewing on, but he really just seems to be interested in a select few areas.

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something is definitely wrong! It sounds like his mouth is extremely itchy or painful, maybe to do with his gums. Try hold him, then lift a cheek at one side to expose his teeth and gums. If they're swollen, inflamed, bleeding or if there is an object, eg a thread in his teeth, you should see about bringing him to the vet if you can, as it could be an infection of some sort

What type of food is he eating? Is he an outdoor or indoor cat?

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not eating could be out of discomfort or pain, and as for the vomit, it could be from a foreign object, like a thread or maybe from pain. He is probably mainly pulling on the fabric of his bed as it is soft, and relieves him of the discomfort while not being too rough on his gums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cometbt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm didn't see anything on his gums, but that was a really good thought. I'll keep an eye out when he starts doing it again. He still has an appetite, in fact after he puked he went over to his food bowl. He's an indoor cat, 10 months old, neutered, that eats Purina kitten dry formula, and a little bit of wet food. Once this bag runs out he'll get switched to Science Diet adult (vet recommendation). My only other thought was that he was just bored. I normally play with him before bed but didn't last night because I was exhausted, so I thought maybe he was just being really mischievous, as he sometimes gets. It was just really odd. He started doing it over and over and over so I was worried it was turning obsessive, like a stereotypy.

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That would make sense i suppose. Maybe he ate something that made him feel sick and lose his appetite, then after throwing up felt better. Make sure your home is cat-proofed. Also,it may be a bit of a long stretch, but it could be his adult teeth growing in, though they're usually finished growing by 8 months. Either way,let us know if he keeps doing it again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cometbt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Being able to catch him in the act while it wasn't the middle of the night definitely seemed to help. I'll keep everything you said in mind though and keep an eye on him.