Cat proofing kitchen cabinets

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats (2 of them) are obsessed with getting into my cabinets. The first time I saw a paw print in my butter (I moved it's location since), when I could hear rustling I found one of them trying to get to my bread (again, moved it's location), when I found them sitting in my dinner plates, I laughed, but I when I saw the toilet bowl cleaner knocked over that was the last straw. It did not spill and/or get ingested, but I worry. I don't have door knobs on the doors so it seems like these type of locks are my only option.
1580570935150.png

I don't like the ones where you have a strap across the front of the doors. If this is going to be permanent for the lifespan of my cats, I would like something that will be hidden. So have any of you used this type of lock before? Do they work well and are they user friendly? If you know of any other USER FRIENDLY type of child (Cat) proofing lock/latch feel free to post some ideas.

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your frustration! My girls have gotten into nearly every cabinet/drawer/closet in my apartment, prompting me to go out & buy multiple child locks. I’ve got a few that go across the doors but they are muted in color & the straps are clear. You said you didn’t like that kind however, so maybe this might be worth trying.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/safety...Vh7zACh1omgHbEAQYASABEgJhG_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just use a shoelace to tie the cat food cupboard shut and they ignore all of the others, however we use locks like that at work to keep children out of cupboards. I dont know whether they would work for cats though, as a little kitty paw is much smaller than a toddler hand. I can imagine a paw reaching in, catching onto something and ripping it while trying to pull it out.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big problems for me have been the broom closet where the trash can is and the cabinet where the cat food is. I finally had to put the cat food in the oven, which my cats don't seem to be able to get into. As for the broom closet, I tried Velcro tabs to keep it closed but the cats managed to get in just the same. I'm thinking of a new closet door, one that can take some kind of passage door set, one with a latch and knob.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
however we use locks like that at work to keep children out of cupboards.
Are they relatively durable and stay latched even with a little pulling?
as a little kitty paw is much smaller than a toddler hand. I can imagine a paw reaching in, catching onto something and ripping it while trying to pull it out.
I'm not too concerned about a paw getting in, as I don't have anything in reach for them to pull out. They don't really care too much about what's in the cabinets (except for the butter and bread, which are now out of reach), they just like getting into them to hang out. Just as long as a body can't get in, I'm good. :thumbsup:
We've also had to block off access to our laundry room, as Bynx likes to get into drop ceiling...He has already crashed thru the drop ceiling. We didn't know at the time he was getting in there till we heard it happen.:lol: That was a fun mess to clean up!:rolleyes3:

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they seem quite durable. ive pulled on them before when I wasnt used to them and tried just opening it as normal, and everything stayed put.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you may have to install some handles on the doors with these; it's likely to be difficult to pull the door out the little bit that's necessary to get your finger in and release the latch.

When I needed to put some new handles on my kitchen cabinets I went to Home Depot, where I found that the most attractive handles were also the cheapest!

The problem is, to install them you'll need to drill a hole through the cabinet door so that you can thread the screw through from the back.

Margret

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not too concerned about a paw getting in, as I don't have anything in reach for them to pull out. They don't really care too much about what's in the cabinets (except for the butter and bread, which are now out of reach), they just like getting into them to hang out. Just as long as a body can't get in, I'm good. :thumbsup:
We've also had to block off access to our laundry room, as Bynx likes to get into drop ceiling...He has already crashed thru the drop ceiling. We didn't know at the time he was getting in there till we heard it happen.:lol: That was a fun mess to clean up!:rolleyes3:
Maybe you should take them and throw them on the roof at the nearest bank. They may come home with a sack of money!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have door knobs on the doors so it seems like these type of locks are my only option.
View attachment 320407
We had very similar locks for one of our cats who was a Houdini. He was still able to get into the cabinets but could not get out. Once when I was out of town my husband called frantically because he opened a cabinet door and got into the can with grease drippings. Since he couldn't get out he threw up all over inside the cabinet. :eek:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you may have to install some handles on the doors with these; it's likely to be difficult to pull the door out the little bit that's necessary to get your finger in and release the latch.
Nah, we have old cabinets. The doors rest on top of the cabinet frame and they have gaps between them, plenty of room for fingers and paws to pull open the door The wood is also a bit warped so they don't all even lay flat. That's why it's so easy for the kitties to just flick the doors open.
I had plans to replace the old knobs (I took the gross ones off when we moved in) but I really just want new ones so I'm not putting much into these poopers. So I just filled in the holes from the old handles and painted the cabinets until I get the moolah to get new ones.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once when I was out of town my husband called frantically because he opened a cabinet door and got into the can with grease drippings. Since he couldn't get out he threw up all over inside the cabinet.
Oh the poor thing! And poor you (or your husband I guess), that must have been a nice mess!:barfgreen:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just filled in the holes from the old handles and painted the cabinets until I get the moolah to get new ones.
They really are quite affordable at Home Depot; I just spent a few bucks, and my cabinets look much nicer now than before. Which has a grand total of nothing to do with keeping the little moochers out of your cabinets, :lol: .

Margret

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I discovered that one of my upstairs loft cabinets has a service hole in it...that was a shock when Puar disappeared for a couple of minutes. Now of course, that's the only cabinet he wants to get in to. Because it's not one that I regularly use (hence not knowing about the door to cat Narnia), I've covered it with my old yoga mat and barricaded it with a table and some boxes. I wish I had a better solution, but since it's a rental, anything permanent such as child locks or even closing the hole, are not possible. He still claws at the yoga mat, but I'm quite certain he can't get in, so that's what matters...don't know how much access to the building's inside that hole grants him, but don't want to find out either!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a better solution, but since it's a rental, anything permanent such as child locks or even closing the hole, are not possible.
How big is this hole? What if you got some of those picture hanging command strips, and hung a cheap frame like thing over the hole. Making sure to use a strip in all four corners, not just the top two they say to use for hanging a picture.
1581172096291.png

And you could also secure the door closed with this stuff too if you never really use the door.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How big is this hole? What if you got some of those picture hanging command strips, and hung a cheap frame like thing over the hole. Making sure to use a strip in all four corners, not just the top two they say to use for hanging a picture.
View attachment 321556
And you could also secure the door closed with this stuff too if you never really use the door.
Oh thanks for the tip. The hole is just about cat-sized. And I could potentially use the command strips on the doors! My worry there is just how much he'll damage the door trying to get in before he gives up! Though he did give up pretty easily on the big built-in doors that are just plain too heavy for him.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad my cat didn't manage to open doors by himself. But he asks me, and except for the coats cabinet, I comply.
He doesnt' ask to get drawers opened (in Kitchen there are mostly drawers), but he jumps in one if left open :D

I can imagine your frustration - the only place forbidden to my cat is the kitchen counter.