Cat prone to crystals

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy is turning 5 years old in April :rbheart:

In April last year, I took him to the vet after seeing him straining in the litter box even though he wasn't crying in pain. The vet performed x-rays, ultrasound, urinalysis but didn't find stones. He was diagnosed with cystitis and was ordered to eat Hills Prescription Diet for a month. Another urinalysis a month later was fine, so I stopped feeding the prescription diet because he didn't like it at all, often refusing to eat and developed diarrhea.

Since he was a kitten, I have fed him and his sister home cooked raw chicken diet with all the supplements (taurine, vitamin B-complex, E, lite iodized salt, etc.) as well as chicken necks. I suspect too much bones from chicken necks and dry treats are responsible for cystitis but am not sure. I reduced the amount of chicken necks given to him from maximum two to one neck a day, or less.

Things were back to normal until yesterday, almost a year later, when he left a few blood droplets on the lawn after he squatted. In the last couple of weeks I had actually noticed a pink-ish color in clumping litter a few times but wasn't very much concerned because he was peeing fine and his appetite was excellent. Just to be safe, I took him to the vet and after the urinalysis, the vet told us that he had crystals in his bladder and possibly bacteria. They said blood was in his urine. They gave him metacam and methone injections.

The results of his urinalysis:
BLD: 4+
pH: 7
LEU 3+
PRO: 3+
GLU: neg
KET: neg
UBG: norm
BIL: neg

Now, how can I put a stop to this recurring episode? I can entice him to drink more water by adding chicken broth to the water but don't really want to eliminate chicken necks entirely for his dental health. I can also switch treats from dry to wet forms. It might not look like it but he might also be stressed due to changes in surrounds, and to make things worse we are moving overseas in less than a month!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Having him drink more water is a good idea. Also, this product was specifically formulated to support cats with Flutd, maybe it would help? It's called Purina Hydra Care, you might ask your vet about it.

Are you using any calming products?
If you haven't seen this already, it might have some info;
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite Articles

• Purraise
Reactions: F+V
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. The article you linked also led me to Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite Articles
We used to use Feliway diffusers and sprays but didn't see any changes unfortunately. Recently another cat comes into our property every night and my boy gets stressed out, but this won't be an issue much longer because we are moving but that will trigger more stress :sigh:

I also saw online that Juniper berry, cranberries, parsley leaf, uva ursi leaf, and marshmallow root can be incorporated in the diet to prevent the recurrence of struvite crystals. Source: rawznaturalpetfood.com/cat-urine-crystals-struvite/

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be very cautious adding any of the parsley, cranberries etc. without checking with your veterinarian first. In the urinalysis it looks like those are the results from the urine dipstick. The Leukocytes on strip tests are not valid. Did they do a microscopic? There should not be a question about bacteria if a microscopic was done because you can see the bacteria and identify by looking at it, same with the white blood cells (leukocytes). If they sent the urine to the lab, they should still have results regarding white blood cells and bacteria,

The pH of the urine is a little alkaline for a cat that has a tendency to form struvite crystals. You should have it around 6 or 6.5. The pH is going to be diet related.

I wouldn't have chosen Metacam for this. I wonder why they did. Metacam has a black box warning on it. Just look it up and you can read about the risks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet and unfamiliar with medicines, so I didn't question on the spot why they were giving Metacam. I took him to a cat clinic and assumed they knew what they were doing. I also see now on the invoice that they gave him Metacam when I took him there in April last year. They probably did give it, just because they could charge extra $70 for a shot. When I took the other cat to the vet for limping, they prescribed oral Metacam too. I wouldn't trust the vet to know about all these mysterious ingredients because most of them wouldn't even hesitate to feed dry kibble to cats. When I see a holistic vet next, I will ask them about the diet.

As for the urinalysis, it was done in house under 10 mins, so it wasn't sent to the lab. They did a more thorough testing last April, but I don't have the results. They did not do a microscopic to confirm the bacteria either. The diagnosis was deduced from his past cystitis episode. Once we move overseas, I will ask for a comprehensive lab test.