Cat prefers one area of the home, is it possible to change that?

parranoidmoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a wallflower cat, lily, shes 3 months old and is overstimulated when she is out in the open in the living room. The one exception is in the basement- she spends most of her time there if we let her. I think she likes the couch down there because she’s treating it like a cat tree. I didnt stop her from doing this, instead i spend most of my time there too now and provided all she needs. But id like her to be comfortable upstairs and the third floor too. I have toys and trees in other parts of the house but she cant get used to the kitchen sounds etc. so, ive put up a cat fence blocking the basement stairs to encourage her to build confidence in the other rooms. I remove the fence for a few hours everyday so that she can still go down and relax. What else can i try to build up her confidence? Am i just expecting lily to be fully comfortable way too soon? We got her on october 4 and she only goes up to my room when it’s nighttime so she sleeps in my bed

Attachments

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bet she just needs some time. I’d let her come out at her own pace, but maybe try offering at least one of her meals upstairs to encourage her. I’d still just let her go down in the basement whenever she wants, and keep the gate down all the time. She’s more likely to build confidence if she has control over where she goes. You could try putting some cat hiding places right by the top of the steps so she knows once she’s upstairs she has a safe place to go to. You could also try playing with her on the steps to encourage her to explore and expand her territory. She’s beautiful!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What a cutie! I also agree not to block her off from the place she seems most comfortable - that could likely extend the time it takes her to get used to other locations. It always seems to backfire when you force a cat to be somewhere they don't really want to be. You might try placing some blankets/towels on the couch that she likes and let her spread her scent onto them and then bring one or two upstairs on the main floor to start with. And, maybe place a blanket or two on your bed so that she has both your scent and hers mingled on them to help get her used to other areas.

When she does venture upstairs, be prepared to give her a treat or two and praise her for being there. Move some of the things you have for her to the location where she seems to want to investigate upstairs and perhaps use the blankets/towels that she has used downstairs (or, from your bed) on those items.

What noises are in the kitchen that she seems to dislike or be afraid of? Whatever you can do to stop some of the noises, do so for now when she comes upstairs. You might also use cat music to help drown out those noises. Start of with them downstairs when you are with her and then repeat that music upstairs after she becomes used to hearing it. She should correlate the music with you and how comfortable she feels downstairs.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What else can i try to build up her confidence? Am i just expecting lily to be fully comfortable way too soon?
I agree with what the above posters mentioned.

Cats habits changes as they age and also probably your scents are there since you spend lots of time in the basement and it's your scents that make her feel safe.

Sleeping with you every night is a good sign.