Cat pooping out of the box

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel our youngest cat always has issues. I will never give up on her. Since she was very sick with FIP last year she has not pooped in the box on her own. I don't know if its behavioral or something else. She has been to the vet a multitude of times , we are there at least once a month. We finally have her scratching under wraps, she is bringing treated with atopica and that seems to help.
If I put her in the box she will poo but does not want to stay in the box. I have a litterbox graveyard because we have tried every style box and litter out there. We even have a litter robot which she likes to pee in.
I have tried pee pads, low boxes, high boxes, covered , uncovered , square , round
I was going to start putting her in our bathroom when i go to work as it is very small , and she wont be around our other cat, I feel terrible leaving her in there all day? Could doing this make things worse? I have tried leaving her in our bedroom with a litter box and that didn't help.
She poos on the floor she doesn't even stop to go, she poops while she is walking and anywhere she doesn't always go in the same spot, she had neurological FIP, could there be something neurologically wrong with her?
Like I said I wont give up on her, I know I have asked for advice her before. Tried all the tips. I'm on the hunt for a cat behaviorist, but how do I know they are not a quack? I hope I am not making her worse. I don't scold her , or yell or anything but I really would like to not spend the next 20 years picking poo off the floor

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is great that she recovered from FIP!!! How was she treated for it? I ask because there may be some stats/studies you can search for related to this being seen in other treated cats. It is one thing to not use a litter box fo poop in, it is a whole other thing to just poop while walking, IMO. I suspect this is neurological rather than behavioral.

In the meantime, you could consider seeing if she would wear a diaper during the day as opposed to confining her to the basement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is great that she recovered from FIP!!! How was she treated for it? I ask because there may be some stats/studies you can search for related to this being seen in other treated cats. It is one thing to not use a litter box fo poop in, it is a whole other thing to just poop while walking, IMO. I suspect this is neurological rather than behavioral.

In the meantime, you could consider seeing if she would wear a diaper during the day as opposed to confining her to the basement.
I can look that up, I should have mention the only reason why I wanted to try the bathroom ,was it was suggested to try that to force litter box train her. ( I really hate the word force...maybe encourage is better)
When I am home , just by looking at her I can tell when she is going to start to go so I can get her to the litterbox

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is one thing to not use a litter box fo poop in, it is a whole other thing to just poop while walking, IMO. I suspect this is neurological rather than behavioral.
Yes, this. It is so worth looking into. IF it is neurological, you may be able to correct it somewhat, and over time. However, diapers will also make her so easy to live with until, and can be used forever if it is not correctable.