Cat Pooping On Floor

squince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All -
I'm new here but thought I'd see if y'all had any suggestions.

My darling blind Tillie (Facebook.com/MyTillieGirl) has always had this weird habit of spurts of not pooping in the litterbox. She always pees in it, just fine. And then she'll poop in it just fine, but she never buries it, which is weird.

Here's the facts:
-I have 4 cats, including Tillie. I have 2 huge litter boxes, one in basement and one in the top floor of my home. Then one large one on my main level. They're all kept clean and scooped.
-Tillie will only poop on the floor in the basement. The area varies. Sometimes right outside the box. Sometimes on a rug near it. Sometimes on this "Ripple Rug" that's on the floor. Once on top of her toy box. Also just on the carpeted floor. There is no same spot she does it.
-The last time it was chronic, it seemed the poop was harder, so I thought maybe she was constipated. So I got the cats another water fountain, so they have 3 -- one on each floor, and she seemed to improve then. But then a couple weeks ago, when it was chronic again, the poop was normal with bits of loose on it and bloody. That's when I figured something was off, so I took a sample into the vet. They found Clostridia in her stool and put her on a med for it. She was on it for a week, ended this past Tuesday and Tillie went poop in the litterbox shortly after and I thought we were good to go and found the solution.

Now she's pooped twice more on this rug, neither has blood or is loose. I called the vet and they're now going to put her on a probiotic for a couple days to see if that helps. They were going to do an anti-diarrhea med until I clarified that it's not diarrhea this time.

ANY ideas?! It's so weird because it's always been an ongoing issue with her since I adopted her. But it'll be like a week or less of pooping on floor, then goes away for a while. Then comes back. Do I need to get her on a constant probiotic? Any recommendations?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my cat Petie. Also blind, never buries. We have lots of cats so one of them always buries for him.
Maybe try adding an extra litter box? Being blind her scent of smell which would already be acute is probably a bit more enhanced than the others.
It is nice to meet someone else with a blind cat.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The rule of thumb is one litterbox PER cat, plus one. So perhaps another box (or two) would be appropriate. And, indeed, a permanent probiotic wouldn't hurt, IMHO. I have been giving my guys probiotics for years, and the only time they have bowel issues is when they are on antibiotics :wink:. The one that I use for my cats (and US) is Natural Factors Acidophilus and Bifidus Double Strength. I give them 1/2 capsule in the morning and 1/2 in the evening mixed into their wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The rule of thumb is one litterbox PER cat, plus one. So perhaps another box (or two) would be appropriate. And, indeed, a permanent probiotic wouldn't hurt, IMHO. I have been giving my guys probiotics for years, and the only time they have bowel issues is when they are on antibiotics :wink:. The one that I use for my cats (and US) is Natural Factors Acidophilus and Bifidus Double Strength. I give them 1/2 capsule in the morning and 1/2 in the evening mixed into their wet food.
Yes -- I always did that, but then when I got these giant litter boxes -- literally the size of 2 large ones, I got rid of one. I suppose I could add another down in the basement to see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone know about this probiotic? It has excellent reviews on Amazon:
Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats, 44 grams

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never used it for my furries, but it doesn't sound bad. Worth a try. I did read one review where they said it didn't mix well in food. If you have that issue you might try dissolving it first in a little bit of water, then mixing it in her food. That's how I do it for my guys so there is no gritty feeling in their food.

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone know about this probiotic? It has excellent reviews on Amazon:
Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats, 44 grams

I was sorting through the forum and had the same question, how did it work out for you? Any positive reviews?