Cat poop + stuck hair

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
River is my 7 (turning 8 in two months) maceral male tabby. He's a very well house-friendly cat. I've had him for almost six years, for the first few years him leaving faeces outside of his tray happened but as one-off rare situations. It increased in some frequency a few years ago but still rare, and then over the last two years - again I'd still say it was rare but it did seem more common - I noted down for a while everytime I found faceses outside his tray, and it was roughly monthly but often skipping some months.

The poop is often dry in nature, and usually a single or a couple of 'nuggets' (round, single 'balls'). Very easy to clean, don't appear to leave much stain or marks where they land, and when they do relatively simple to wipe up. Basically could be worse, he isn't leaving loose stool everywhere all the time, but obviously still not ideal from a hygiene perspective (especially if he leaves faeces somewhere not in the open and I don't find it). It's also worth pointing out it's often very near the tray or on the route between the tray and upstairs - very rarely anywhere else - in a way which suggests it happens after he's toileted in his tray.

I wasn't sure really what was causing it - while there've been some changes, none of which match up timewise. However, today I've just caught on to another clue. Just now, spotted a bit of poop next to where he was sitting on the window-sill, with him a sitting a bit uncomfortably. I also spotted some other bits (between his tray and the window-sill he was sat on) when fetching tissues to clean them up with. When I was cleaning, he stood up and I saw a strand of hair exiting his anus. I used a tissue to help with that and I also recalled the only other time I've spotted River in a similar situation where he was trying to sit but clearly something around his butt was bothering him (so he was sitting in a position you'd see a cat in if they were actively toiletting in, and at first that's what I thought he was doing but outside his tray until) I investigated and saw a string of hair exiting him and a nugget of poop on it.

These were the only two times I've seen this happen, but I imagine that's also what has happened the other times he's ended up leaving poop outside his tray - he must've toileted, but the last bit was held on by hair that hadn't passed out of him.

So now I know this is an element, I wonder if there's a way to help him? I dunno why it's become more frequent (although, again, still relatively rare as opposed to daily or anything), maybe age. I mean my first thought my be hydration? He has a water bowl and a water fountain accessible to him though that get changed completely either daily or every two days. He also demands I let him drink from the shower everytime I walk into the bathroom - I dunno if that's an indication he isn't getting enough water elsewhere, but I more often than not oblige him with a drink as I stand there waiting for my turn with the shower. But if it is hydration, I wonder what I can do to help considering he has two water sources at all times - would a third help?? He does drink from the fountain (and less often the bowl). He has dry cat food, so I might try mixing in a single wet meal into that to help.
1661045313863.png

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Does he get canned food? It has more moisture than kibble, plus it's easier to add a teaspoon or so of water to if he's ok with that.

Can you groom him more frequently?

How is the quality of your water? Is it hard water? I've always thought that even without all the extra things lately such as prescription meds in our tap water etc, that cats don't need the flouride that's added, so my Poppycat gets filtered water.

My boy is slobbery so I have to clean his fountain daily or he refuses to drink from it. If I can't get to it right away, I give him a tall water glass or mason jar.

He really likes the baby food soup from this article 😊;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Does he get canned food? It has more moisture than kibble, plus it's easier to add a teaspoon or so of water to if he's ok with that.

Can you groom him more frequently?

How is the quality of your water? Is it hard water? I've always thought that even without all the extra things lately such as prescription meds in our tap water etc, that cats don't need the flouride that's added, so my Poppycat gets filtered water.

My boy is slobbery so I have to clean his fountain daily or he refuses to drink from it. If I can't get to it right away, I give him a tall water glass or mason jar.

He really likes the baby food soup from this article 😊;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles
I should have mentioned that (I'll edit it back into my OP) but yeah he's always been on dry food. Maybe I'll add some wet food in it, it's worked better for me in terms of both money and cleaning, and as he is a cat who eats little bits throughout the day rather than all at once, it seemed better for him to have dry (and my vets have maintained dry food is better for him and his teeth), but I suppose if it is hydration, mixing in wet food is deffo worth a try.

Google says water in Newcastle is hard water. I dunno enough really about water composition haha, guess I can do some reading but maybe buying a water filter for them might be a good shout.

There's some good advice in here, thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe try some hairball gel? The suggestion is typically to put it on a paw which just ends up with gel flung around the room when they shake the offending goo off of themselves lol, so put a swipe of it near his whisker pad so he licks it from there :)

Let us know how things progress :vibes::goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've been feeding River a mix of wet and dry food for around the last week, but today I caught him with the same issue, saw that he had faeces stuck and when I helped remove it, it came with a strand of hair which needed pulling out of him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a hairball gel that cats typically like, it's GNC Pets ultra mega (I didn't make that part up, their marketing department went a little nuts) hairball formula in malt flavor. The malt flavor seems to be the key.

However, is your kitty licking someone's hair, or a hair brush or comb?