Cat Playing/toys

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They come ten to a package but tend to get shoved under everything like mousies do. So you will want several packages.
I second this suggestion! My boys keep tossing them under the oven or under the door of a VERY full closet, and I'm too lazy to dig them out often. So I've bought like 4 or 5 packages of them, and then when they've all disappeared I will go spelunking under my oven and in the closets to gather them all up again.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My current cat isn't much into the springy things, but she loves her laser pointer and her collection of little catnip stuffed toys. She also has a little ball made out of krinkly material that makes noise when you squeeze it that she's obsessed with. And she tends to like the Cat Dancer better than her 'regular' wand toys, although she's only interested in chasing it if I make it "hide" under things...the edge of the couch, the couch blanket, etc.

But as my reward for indulging her play preferences, she is an epic butt-wiggler, and is developing some really amazing pouncing skills. If I play with her for awhile, she gets really hyper and will do some crazy leaps through the air, too.

We're hoping that, with enough 'training', she can help us with the moth population in our apartment.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I bet she will! You should have seen the mayhem that ensued when a sparrow found its way into my old apartment! I think it actually followed me in! There was a tornado of feathers and fur swirling around my living room for a good half an hour! It finally ended when the bird took off in a straight line from one side of the room to the other, with Hek in hot pursuit. Bird crashed into the wall at the top of my media tower, cat crashed into the wall at the bottom, and BOTH were knocked silly. I managed to grab the bird and get him tucked into the tree outside, and Hek was SO disgusted. It was the best "toy" she'd ever had. THAT SAID, I don't recommend turning wild birds loose in the living room. At all.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so funny! She likes the box better than the toy. My cats prefer the brown packing paper. :D

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My previous cat loved cardboard boxes! We get a lot of packages, and tend to take them downstairs once a week to recycle. In the meantime, she'd inspect them and pick a favorite and we'd let her keep it until she found a replacement the next week. My current cat shows absolutely no interest in them whatsoever. Go figure.

My kitten likes to tunnel underneath the blankets we keep on the couch, so I thought she'd love a cat tunnel. We got her one and she found it really scary for a couple of weeks, but slowly worked up the courage to use it, and now she likes it. We have it stashed under a table, so it's her little hidey-hole within a small, confined space. It's also in a corner, and she actually prefers to hide behind it (in the y-shaped bendy part) in the corner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patches definitely likes going in/under things. I often catch her under a throw I have on my chair. She's gone in bags, and in that cardboard box. I may try a cat tunnel, or even one of those sack toys, but I don't know that she's too into toys in the traditional sense.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a cat tunnel, which Patches uses occasionally. She also uses the Tower of Tracks occasionally (she seems to be using this a bit more as time goes on), and the box seems to be getting old (so I can finally recycle it as planned). But, I've finally found (or, rather Patches has found) the toy that she really likes. She found a few cat balls, and a catnip mouse that Denver, my previous cat had stashed somewhere undetectable for a human (I was never going to find these things!), and she just loves this little blue mouse! She throws it, bats it, and chases it! It's definitely that one toy that she seems to go crazy for!

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that Patches likes to chew. She finds things that can't be good for her to chew on (her laser pointer, pens, small remote for my aquarium light), and she chews on them like a dog chews on a bone. This behavior is new to me. Is it normal, or is this truly odd? Are there any toys that would be a better choice than the objects she's chewing on?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There are cat chew sticks and strings that she might enjoy. I would also try a few dog toys to see if she will play and chew on them.