Cat Playing/toys

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My last cat was a big cuddle bug, especially as he got older. There was a time when he was playful, but I feel like less so than my new little girl (they do say Torties have an extra big personality). She's young, too (a year and a half), and is far more playful/energetic, and curious than a cuddler.

Anyway, I'm curious to learn more about cat play and toys. I'm wondering if there are any types of toys that are especially good if a cat is going to have just a few toys. She's got a 4 and a half foot tall cat tree with two scratching surfaces on it, that she enjoys. I also have a wand toy that she seems to like, but not love. I plan to get her one of those circular tracks with a ping pong type ball and a cardboard scratcher in the middle. I'm wondering if there's another type of toy that I should get her, too, or if this is good. I have a medium sized dog, so I want to be cautious not to get anything he's likely to swallow. Thanks in advance!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MOST cats are nuts for laser pointers, but not all. What kind of wand toy do you have? Different cats have different type of preferred prey. If the toy has feathers, and she's a "mouse" kinda gal, she isn't going to be nearly as interested. My cat gets tired of one, so I have a Da Bird with a selection of "prey" that I can change out. The trick is that YOU must "become the prey" for them, mimicking whatever it is' natural movement. Catnip mice are big with most cats, as are little balls with bells in them. Or empty toilet paper rolls with a few treats inside and the ends plugged up with paper wads. That's big at my house...with BOTH of us! She gets a kick out of "killing" the roll to get to the treats, and my budget gets a break.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MOST cats are nuts for laser pointers, but not all. What kind of wand toy do you have? Different cats have different type of preferred prey. If the toy has feathers, and she's a "mouse" kinda gal, she isn't going to be nearly as interested. My cat gets tired of one, so I have a Da Bird with a selection of "prey" that I can change out. The trick is that YOU must "become the prey" for them, mimicking whatever it is' natural movement. Catnip mice are big with most cats, as are little balls with bells in them. Or empty toilet paper rolls with a few treats inside and the ends plugged up with paper wads. That's big at my house...with BOTH of us! She gets a kick out of "killing" the roll to get to the treats, and my budget gets a break.
Amen - you can't just swish a wand toy back and forth. Make it jump and wiggle and hide under stuff and poke around corners. Have it zip around and then stop. Watch your cat's butt and figure out what gets him ready to spring and what gets him "winding up"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I misspoke about the wand toy. Maybe mine isn't actually a wand, or if it is, it's much more simple than your's. I've seen the ones you describe, but mine is just a "stick" that doesn't retract, and rather than the changeable prey, mine is just a blue fluffy thing (looks like the tail of a long haired cat). I hear what you're saying about getting more into it for her. Admittedly, I haven't done this.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get foam soccer balls on Amazon. They are about the size of a ping pong ball, but soft foam. They bounce pretty well; my cat loves to chase them and to knock them down the stairs--sometimes to watch ME go after. They are too big to swallow. They are soft enough that won't damage walls or hard floors or you or the cat. And, the cat can catch them in mid-air.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys go wild for the "Ethical Pet Wide Durable Heavy Gauge Plastic Colorful Springs Cat Toy" on Chewy. I toss them down the length of my apartment and they bounce and spin and spring all over, and the cats race to grab it first. Even when I'm not actively throwing it for them, they like to pounce on them. So it's a great 'play together' AND 'play alone' kind of toy!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget the kickaroo :) I drag it along by it's tail, toss it & when my bud is latched onto it I wiggle it ... sometimes doing a high pitched "help me help me" voice ... or chanting how he is the best ... no wonder his ego is so big ;)

I'm going to try that toilet paper tube thing.

They also like crumpled tissue paper or newspaper, just give it an occasional wiggle or toss.

I buy my hair bands at the $ store. So I buy extras for my bud. (They are the solid circle kind no metal thingy holding the band together.) I toss them, he fetches it, I toss .... and I replace the hair bands when they start to get worn out.

I'm getting these for my guys on my next Chewy order: Petlinks Catnip Caterpillars Crinkle and Catnip Cat Toys, 3 count

The stuffed toys are kinda hit & miss .. however this toy works great. I drag it by a feather limb and I can even play with my hyper punk. Both my cats love it :) Petlinks Cutie Mouse Long Legged Crinkle Cat Toy It crinkles has feathers and strings :)

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I buy my hair bands at the $ store. So I buy extras for my bud. (They are the solid circle kind no metal thingy holding the band together.) I toss them, he fetches it, I toss .... and I replace the hair bands when they start to get worn out.
I know my boys like hairbands, when I accidentally drop them. But some emergency vet show I watched a while ago had an episode where a cat was brought in for tummy trouble and it turned out it had been eating hairband every so often until it formed a huge ball of them in the stomach! Freaked me out and now I panic if I drop a hairband and the boys snatch it before I can.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all! I'll look into some of the suggestions from above.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the info and suggestions! I got a laser pointer this evening, and it's been fun! I'll continue to look into the other suggestions, and decide what to else to get.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boys go wild for the "Ethical Pet Wide Durable Heavy Gauge Plastic Colorful Springs Cat Toy" on Chewy. I toss them down the length of my apartment and they bounce and spin and spring all over, and the cats race to grab it first. Even when I'm not actively throwing it for them, they like to pounce on them. So it's a great 'play together' AND 'play alone' kind of toy!
Well, it took me about 2 minutes after reading that to have 'one click'd' them on Amazon...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it took me about 2 minutes after reading that to have 'one click'd' them on Amazon...
These springs are the number one toy for my current cat, my previous cat and my mom’s cat. They come ten to a package but tend to get shoved under everything like mousies do. So you will want several packages.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my boys like hairbands, when I accidentally drop them. But some emergency vet show I watched a while ago had an episode where a cat was brought in for tummy trouble and it turned out it had been eating hairband every so often until it formed a huge ball of them in the stomach! Freaked me out and now I panic if I drop a hairband and the boys snatch it before I can.
The kind the cat swallowed are most likely rubber hair bands, terrible toy for cats. The ones at the dollar store are thick and cloth wrapped, not likely to be chewed upon.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think with any toy, you should do a supervised "introductory" play session, to see if your cat might chew up and eat any parts of the toy they aren't supposed to eat... for example, my cat Milly would totally chomp on and break apart those plastic colorful cat spring toys!
:nono:

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Just wanted some thoughts on how many different types of toys, and what types are best to have. I had forgotten about all of that crazy kitty energy a young cat has!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two go crazy for some small plush mice that they use as hunting "training". They also like things they can baff around and chase: i.e. balls - especially balls with bells in. Feather wands are always good stimulators too, especially for house cats (at the moment my two are house cats but we'll introduce them to the outside once the weather warms up) who wouldn't get as much exercise from the outdoors.
There are all sorts of great toys for cats. I've heard that tunnels and lasers are meant to be popular with our feline friends too. And house items can act as good toys too, especially pens and pencils.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe I misspoke about the wand toy. Maybe mine isn't actually a wand, or if it is, it's much more simple than your's. I've seen the ones you describe, but mine is just a "stick" that doesn't retract, and rather than the changeable prey, mine is just a blue fluffy thing (looks like the tail of a long haired cat). I hear what you're saying about getting more into it for her. Admittedly, I haven't done this.
QUOTE]

Try getting a Da Bird, or Jackson Galaxy's similar toy. HOWEVER, you might find yourself getting a real upper-body workout! Hekitty has no problem grabbing the stick and towing it over to me, demanding play time!

Just pinned it on Hekitty's Wish List!

And yes, kittens have crazy energy levels! Hang in there. You might even consider getting a GOOD harness (I like the Holsters) and leash-training him. That way, the two of you could walk off some of that. I'm all in favor of as many interactive activities as can be managed. It strengthens the bond between you.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's not a kitten, but she's young enough to still act like one!

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'm going to go with the Tower of Tracks Cat Toy from Petsmart. With the wand toy and laser pointer, she has a few toys that are dependent on me being able to play with her. With this, she'll be able to entertain herself, and I can play with her using it, too.