Cat pees on things outside litterbox- but it's only my stuff

anakhnu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow cat owners! Some background: We got this cat like 7 years ago at 2 yrs old while we lived in one house. We had her in that house for ~6 years and all was well and good - except within the 7th year or so something set her off and she started pissing on most anything fabric I left on the floor.

I.

It was never my mom or my siblings' stuff. She would be indiscriminate about mine, though. A pillow I laid on downstairs, any towel I had used and left on the floor, clothes on the floor. And I know someone might say "Then just pick your stuff up off the floor!" but that's not what this is about. Sometimes I could leave something on the floor to lay on (pillow) or on the floor to make my bed (clothes, sheets), and she'd just go ham. I don't know why. But that was in the old house.

In August, we moved to a new house. It's bigger, and has two floors, kinda. My room is on the first floor, the exact same distance from the stairs as the room with the litter boxes in it. But the thing is that she's been totally fine in this new house up to this point. I've left stuff on the floor to pick up and put in a laundry basket later because of how my room is set up, and she hasn't touched it... until today, when she peed on a towel robe on the floor. Nothing has changed in the house since August - in fact it has only gotten less stressful in here, catwise -, the litter boxes are clean, all doors are open to them, nothing should be stopping her from peeing in the right place - and yet?

It's only ever things I have touched and have my smell on them. Nothing stops her from using the litter box. This did not happen in this house before now. There is nothing stressful for cats - we make sure of it.

Why is she doing this to me???

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have not taken her to the vet yet, you need to go ASAP. Urinary infections are no joke and you need to rule that out first before a behavioral issue is considered.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! I actually have no idea of my own, but I did find an article about it so I will share the link here (see below). It is pretty blunt about some of the possible issues, so please don't 'shoot the messenger' (me) - I just thought it might give you some ideas.

I would agree with A Azazel about the urinary infections - but, since you have had the issue off and on and if she has not been treated in the past for one, it is likely something else. However, you probably still should consider getting her urine tested to see if there could some related issue there.

Is Your Cat Peeing on Your Stuff?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anakhnu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I actually have no idea of my own, but I did find an article about it so I will share the link here (see below). It is pretty blunt about some of the possible issues, so please don't 'shoot the messenger' (me) - I just thought it might give you some ideas.

I would agree with A Azazel about the urinary infections - but, since you have had the issue off and on and if she has not been treated in the past for one, it is likely something else. However, you probably still should consider getting her urine tested to see if there could some related issue there.

Is Your Cat Peeing on Your Stuff?
I will try to get her to the vet! Thank you (and previous commenter) for being so blunt. I worry about her a lot. I have trouble picking up human cues, so cat cues are totally lost on me... So I'll try out all the things in this article alongside the vet checkup and see what works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anakhnu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm back from this(Cat pees on things outside litterbox- but it's only my stuff) thread. She's completely healthy! With that said, I have realized literally just now as she did it again, just now, she only does this when I'm watching her. This was the first time since I made that post, which was the first time since we moved in, and both times she looked me right in the eye and peed on my stuff. This time it was a robe that was slightly too long and was a little bit on the floor. I know she's healthy; does she just not like me?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So, this has happened only twice so far, and both times within the last 2-3 weeks? And, both times it was while you were watching her? But, she used to do this in your old home before, yes? Only when you were watching her - or other times as well?
Either way, I would say that she was getting her bearings in the new house, and because of that she stopped peeing on your stuff. Now that she has settled down in the new house, she has resumed this odd behavior. But, what about you has changed from old house to new house to now? Medication changes, soaps/perfumes/lotions, detergents/cleaning products, etc. that you might have only just recently resumed since moving to the new house - that you were previously using at the old house? Things that only you use and no one else in the household does?

If it isn't something like those things mentioned above, then it has got to be something that is only happening intermittently with you that is causing her to react, or she would be peeing on your stuff more regularly. I have to go back to the article I shared with you earlier. Did you read it, and find any possibilities at all in it that might apply?