Cat peeing outside the litterbox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having major problems now. She is absolutely refusing litter of any kind regardless if its in a box or the automatic litterbox cleaner. I have to keep her in a kennel and manually place her in the litterbox otherwise she will prefer the floor anywhere in the house. When I put her in the box manually sometimes she will go, most times she will not. If I leave and let her roam she will almost immediately go and do it somewhere on the floor.

The antibiotic prescription is finished. I gave it to her for 7 days. The vet only prescribed 5.

I took her back to the vet and they told me it may be stressimiticis or something of that like that of which causes her in some way to swell in the urinary tract and cause pain. They gave me a sedative (Gabentine) but she's still doing it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear things have gotten worse. Did the vet say how long to wait for results from the Gabentine before checking back with them? Meanwhile, maybe get some puppy pee pads, for easier clean up.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm having major problems now. She is absolutely refusing litter of any kind regardless if its in a box or the automatic litterbox cleaner. I have to keep her in a kennel and manually place her in the litterbox otherwise she will prefer the floor anywhere in the house. When I put her in the box manually sometimes she will go, most times she will not. If I leave and let her roam she will almost immediately go and do it somewhere on the floor.

The antibiotic prescription is finished. I gave it to her for 7 days. The vet only prescribed 5.

I took her back to the vet and they told me it may be stressimiticis or something of that like that of which causes her in some way to swell in the urinary tract and cause pain. They gave me a sedative (Gabentine) but she's still doing it.
Did the vet run a second urinalysis to check if the infection is gone? If yes, are they doing a culture?

It can certainly be FIC as well. Usually my vet prescribed Metacam for that and some anxiety medication.

Gabapentin might make her a bit loopy so it might be harder to get to the box. You may want to request alternative pain management. Gabapentin for Cats: Uses and Side Effects - GoodRx
Gabapentin | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Re:metacam do not use the oral form of this medication. It carries a FDA black box warning not to use it for cats and only a single injection. It can cause renal injury and even kill cats and small dogs.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear things have gotten worse. Did the vet say how long to wait for results from the Gabentine before checking back with them? Meanwhile, maybe get some puppy pee pads, for easier clean up.
Problem is, she's going everywhere she wants, including the carpet. When I took her out the Kennel I stood by and watched her every move and I caught her trying to go in the living room and I picked her up and took her to the litterbox. She used the litterbox that time, but I can't trust what she'll do if left unsighted.

What is a culture? I don't think they did a second urinalysis yet, but I go back Wednesday Oct 4th.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor baby. And poor you. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
Sending healing vibes that she feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Problem is, she's going everywhere she wants, including the carpet. When I took her out the Kennel I stood by and watched her every move and I caught her trying to go in the living room and I picked her up and took her to the litterbox. She used the litterbox that time, but I can't trust what she'll do if left unsighted.

What is a culture? I don't think they did a second urinalysis yet, but I go back Wednesday Oct 4th.
A culture is when they keep the urine sample in a place to let whatever bacteria is in there grow, so that they can detect what kind of bacteria it is and use an antibiotic that is most responsive to that specific kind.

Sometimes, before a culture, the white blood cells in the urine have killed so much of the bacteria that the infection isn't detected even though it's there causing issues. A culture will also help to detect this kind of infection.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elseys litter in enclosed self cleaning litterboxes.

I took her to the vet on Thursday last week. They did a Urinalysis and they did find white blood cells in her urine although they didn't specifically mention bacteria. They stated that they would treat it like a UTI and sent me home with antibiotics. I started them that same day. She went outside the box again Friday morning and again this Sunday morning. Any idea how long it should take before the antibiotics have their affect?
About 24-48 hrs they cat should experience some relief. I hope it's a one off for you guys.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

FIC?

Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) in Cats | PetMD

We have a male who has been dealing with this for 3-4 yrs.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just in case you aren't familiar with the terminology, "ideopathic" means "undetermined origin." Or, "danged if we know where it comes from, but there it is." In some cats, it seems to be stress-related, but not all.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I found out that it was not the female cat like I originally thought, it was my male cat (Toby). I did send him to the vet along with 2 other cats including the female cat who was originally suspect (her name is Rosie) ... Originally the vet I sent him to said the ultra sound said his bladder was slightly swollen, but they didn't detect anything abnormal in Toby's Urine.. ..so he has been peeing outside of the litterbox every day.. ..I even put him in a kennel overnight, take him out, put him in the box.. ..he won't use it, then I come back later and find a pool all over the floor. I took him to a different vet for a second opinion, this vet said that they did detect white blood cells in his urine so they prescribed me a antibiotic. The antibiotics did nothing after 2 weeks.. ..he's still peeing outside the box. Sometimes he'll use it if I put him inside the litterbox but most times he'll just wait for me to go away and pee on the floor.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M MikeAW2010 Did the vet do a urine culture to ensure the antibiotics they prescribed are ones suitable to fight the infection he has? If you don't know, please call the vet to find out.

- he may need different or more antibiotics

Please check out the following to understand more about Feline urinary issues. Since you are having multiple cats in your home have urinary issues (even though it was at different times), you need to address the underlaying causes or your cats will continue to have urinary issues.
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care