Cat peeing outside the litterbox

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 y/o female cat that goes to the litterbox but decides to pee just outside of it. There are two fresh and clean litterboxes in the area but she's refusing both of them. One has crystal litter, the other has cat attract litter. She chooses instead to pee on the tiled floor. What can I do to stop her from doing this?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this something that just started, or been going on for a while.

If just started, I would recommend a vet visit, as litter box avoidance, can be a sign of a UTI.

If it's been going on a while, it will be more difficult to figure what's causing it, and would need more info, like did something happen before this started, does she seem stressed, eating ok, etc.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you actually seen her do this, or are you just finding the evidence? The reason I ask is because some cats have what I call an “elevator butt”, where they seem to rise up while peeing, so that the pee goes over the side of the box onto the floor. If this is the case, strategically placed puppy pee pads really help with clean up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, peeing outside the box is an earIy sign of a UTI in cats. RuIe that out first. In the meantime, puppy pads outside the box wiII signigicantIy reduce your stress IeveIs, and are far cheaper than therapy! AIso, cIean that area very thoroughIy with a good enzymatic cIeaner. Even if you cannot smeII urine, your cat does, and may be attracted back to that spot.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like all great advice above. I was here to echo those!

Let us know what a vet says regarding UTI and if not, we can help with some further ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been going on for awhile. I couldnt tell which cat was doing it until I finally bought a camera and recorded the literbox area and figured out which one was doing it. She is completely and physically outside the box. She goes near it but puts her rear to a wall or corner then unloads. I bought her some OTC UTI drops I've been administering for about 2 days now but this morning I woke up and there was a pool of piss right infront of the litter box. She doesn't seem abnormal or stressed. She seems pretty ordinary.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A vet visit still might not be a bad idea, even though it's been going on a while. Also, do be careful with the OTC UTI drops, as they might be harmful, if she doesn't have a UTI.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There really is no OTC product that will get rid of an actual UTI. They are designed to help reduce the chances of a cat getting an infection - depending on what might be causing infections to occur - but once an infection has started, antibiotics are really the only thing to get rid of the UTI.

I take it she poops in the litter box(es). That is another sign to suggest a UTI, as an infection can cause discomfort and a cat will correlate the discomfort with the box and not their body. She may not feel any discomfort other than when she is actually peeing.

If your cat were to have a UTI, running a urine culture on the urinalysis to determine the kind of bacteria that is involved will allow the vet to prescribe the most appropriate antibiotic for that bacterium. Further, many types of bacteria that can collect in the bladder to attribute to an infection can be flushed from the bladder with extra moisture in a cat's food, through drinking more water, AND pure D-Mannose can help that flushing process too. It won't help for all types of bacteria, but it does work on many of them. I give my cat pure D-Mannose daily.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even humans can have a UTI for a bit and be fighting it off from getting worse but not actually have it get better.

Best to get another vet check.

Then you can address if a different type of litter or box might encourage her to try. I'd recommend a high sided one, or corner one with high sides and a litter that is neither clay nor wood. Perhaps corn, wheat or paper.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the record, Hekitty Ioves corn Iitter. I've found it to be good with odor, and cIumps very weII, too!
Off topic but....Personally, I miss the arm and hammer corn litter. Not available in my area anymore. Actually wasn't too dusty (black cats are dust mops as you know)!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elseys litter in enclosed self cleaning litterboxes.

I took her to the vet on Thursday last week. They did a Urinalysis and they did find white blood cells in her urine although they didn't specifically mention bacteria. They stated that they would treat it like a UTI and sent me home with antibiotics. I started them that same day. She went outside the box again Friday morning and again this Sunday morning. Any idea how long it should take before the antibiotics have their affect?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antibiotics are typically thought to start helping about halfway through the regimen - and ideally cats should get them for no less than 7 days, but 10 days is better to ensure they are in the system long enough to eradicate an infection. However, if there were bacteria in her urine, the best way to determine the most effective antibiotic is through a urine culture.

If the antibiotics don't make a difference, ask your vet about whether or not there were bacteria in her urine. If they tell you no, then ask about her issue being tied to inflammation rather than an infection. At that point, she might better benefit from an anti-inflammatory, or perhaps even an anti-spasmodic.

Is there any chance she just doesn't like the self-cleaning litter boxes?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes if there's discomfort when the cat pees (or poops) they will associate the litter box with the pain, even after they start to feel better.

So perhaps, try a different type of litter box and see if that helps. You could also try moving it to a different location, as again, she might be associating the litter box in that spot with her pain.

Sending healing vibes she feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask what antibiotic it was? Indy was given convenia for a bladder infection and the vet said it could take up to a week or two for it to take full effect. She was peeing normal golf/baseball clumps in 4 days. Up from pea sized ones with the bladder infection.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SOME antibiotics start to work in as IittIe as three days, but...that varies with antibiotic AND the individuaI cat's system, so you may begin to see changes as earIy as today. Crossing my paws for you!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amoxicillin is what they prescribed her. Comes in a pink liquid. 1ml dose