cat peeing on blankets

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks they have been out since yesterday i forgot to hit post. gizmo is ok just a little angry. they made it through the night without incident although i was afraid bowie was going to pee on bed but i think i was just being a little anxious. he jumped in the litter box then on the bed and kind or lifted his tail so i grabbed him and just put him in the room for an hour. other than that so far so good
"gizmo is ok just a little angry." - Please reassure him. try to make it positive. If you can get him to focus on something positive that would be helpful. If we can get Gizmo to feel more calm and comfortable I think that will help the young guys.

"he jumped in the litter box then on the bed and kind or lifted his tail so i grabbed him and just put him in the room for an hour. " - Hmmmmm. If possible if you can reassure him or distract him and then redirect him to the litter box that might be helpful.

I typically don't like taking territory away and try to make it as positive as possible instead. But we don't want him peeing. If he was going to pee he was feeling stress or some territorial insecurity. Was Gizmo around or was there any negativity in the few hours before that incident on the bed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no i don’t think so. they all just ate a bit before that though but gizmo and ruffy were already hunkered down in the family room. i was in the bedroom bathroom putting contacts in when he did that and bob may have been around. unfortunately the only thing that makes gizmo happy is good or treats but he doesn’t seem too bad with them he certainly will eat treats next to them

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
morning is their more grumpy times and feeding time is a little more frantic so it could be the time. last time he peed though it was basically the very early morning hours like when they start getting up but before i’m willing to get up to feed them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no i don’t think so. they all just ate a bit before that though but gizmo and ruffy were already hunkered down in the family room. i was in the bedroom bathroom putting contacts in when he did that and bob may have been around. unfortunately the only thing that makes gizmo happy is good or treats but he doesn’t seem too bad with them he certainly will eat treats next to them
"no i don’t think so." - Ok. :/

" they all just ate a bit before that though but gizmo and ruffy were already hunkered down in the family room." - Hmmmmmm. Does Ruffy and Gizmo spend time in that bed?

" i was in the bedroom bathroom putting contacts in when he did that and bob may have been around." - Was he "needy" before that at all?

" unfortunately the only thing that makes gizmo happy is good or treats but he doesn’t seem too bad with them he certainly will eat treats next to them" - Ok, let's use food or treats and if we have weight issues we will deal with that later. I want to make those positive associations and then after feeding next to them give some reassurance, love and redirect them to make it a Positive Encounter.

"morning is their more grumpy times and feeding time is a little more frantic so it could be the time." - Yes, that time they can get a bit anxious wanting to be fed and the stress could get up a bit and bad things can happen (for someone I am helping now the one cat chases the other). But peeing could be an outcome as well.

"last time he peed though it was basically the very early morning hours like when they start getting up but before i’m willing to get up to feed them. " - Ok, that (above) could be it where he was anxious, wanting to be fed and that stress caused him. BUT it of course could be something else. It is like a puzzle, putting pieces together.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
gizmo does like to be held he’s like a little baby lol. bowie was following me around a lot but he usually does. the little cats are not overly excited about food they come out to get it of course but they are rarely overexcited or wake me up to be fed gizmo and ruffy go in that room and they actually all lay in there a lot during the day i always open blinds in there cause it gets the good sun so they all hang in the sun

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gizmo does like to be held he’s like a little baby lol. bowie was following me around a lot but he usually does. the little cats are not overly excited about food they come out to get it of course but they are rarely overexcited or wake me up to be fed gizmo and ruffy go in that room and they actually all lay in there a lot during the day i always open blinds in there cause it gets the good sun so they all hang in the sun
"gizmo does like to be held he’s like a little baby lol." - You can use this (if safe) to make a positive association and positive encounter with the young guys.

"bowie was following me around a lot but he usually does." - Ok, was it different this time?

" the little cats are not overly excited about food they come out to get it of course but they are rarely overexcited or wake me up to be fed " - Ok. I did know some of that but kinda makes my theory about the pee incident less likely.

" gizmo and ruffy go in that room and they actually all lay in there a lot during the day i always open blinds in there cause it gets the good sun so they all hang in the sun" - Ok, and they get along well? I am assuming so.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no i think bowie was his usual self. sometimes he just has so much energy he’s sound asleep but if i get up he gets up and follows me and makes little squeaky noises. he does sometimes annoy the older ones at good time cause he gets in their faces but in a nice way like he wants to rub against them and lays in front of them and rolls around. not on the day he peed though. maybe he gets a little discouraged when they don’t reciprocate. sometimes gizmo will give him a lame lick on the head and sometimes rufffy will run around with him but they just kind of don’t want to be bothered. maybe when he peed when bob was downstairs he did not have anyone to hang with?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no i think bowie was his usual self. sometimes he just has so much energy he’s sound asleep but if i get up he gets up and follows me and makes little squeaky noises. he does sometimes annoy the older ones at good time cause he gets in their faces but in a nice way like he wants to rub against them and lays in front of them and rolls around. not on the day he peed though. maybe he gets a little discouraged when they don’t reciprocate. sometimes gizmo will give him a lame lick on the head and sometimes rufffy will run around with him but they just kind of don’t want to be bothered. maybe when he peed when bob was downstairs he did not have anyone to hang with?
"no i think bowie was his usual self." - Ok

" sometimes he just has so much energy he’s sound asleep but if i get up he gets up and follows me and makes little squeaky noises. " - Yes, they will do that.

" he does sometimes annoy the older ones at good time cause he gets in their faces but in a nice way like he wants to rub against them " - Yes, that is common. Rubbing is really positive.

" and lays in front of them and rolls around." - Wow, he LOVES the older guys

" not on the day he peed though." - Interesting. Maybe there is something there.

" maybe he gets a little discouraged when they don’t reciprocate." - It could cause stress.

" sometimes gizmo will give him a lame lick on the head" Awwwwwwwww. sweet

" and sometimes rufffy will run around with him" That is good

" but they just kind of don’t want to be bothered." - Yep, different energy levels, etc.

" maybe when he peed when bob was downstairs he did not have anyone to hang with?" - It could be that he worried where Bob was. They may give each other confidence and when they aren't together they get a little stressed.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
there is definately a territorial issue i this bedroom at least in the early morning hours. although there are six litter boxes in the house everyone including the older cats want to come in here and uses the litter box in here at about two to three in the morning. so today after the big guys went in there bowie then went and had to go in there. this time he actually peed in there but the problem with bowie is he pees high which means he lifts his body when he pees and ends up peeing on the walls and floor. i switched this litter box now to one with a cover, but hope this is not going to cause problems. we have options all over the house and still one right outside in hallway. not sure what else i can do but at least he went in there. i don’t think gizmo likes covered boxes but downstairs there are uncovered ones as well

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is definately a territorial issue i this bedroom at least in the early morning hours. although there are six litter boxes in the house everyone including the older cats want to come in here and uses the litter box in here at about two to three in the morning. so today after the big guys went in there bowie then went and had to go in there. this time he actually peed in there but the problem with bowie is he pees high which means he lifts his body when he pees and ends up peeing on the walls and floor. i switched this litter box now to one with a cover, but hope this is not going to cause problems. we have options all over the house and still one right outside in hallway. not sure what else i can do but at least he went in there. i don’t think gizmo likes covered boxes but downstairs there are uncovered ones as well
"there is definately a territorial issue i this bedroom at least in the early morning hours." - Ok

" although there are six litter boxes in the house everyone including the older cats want to come in here and uses the litter box in here at about two to three in the morning." - Are you sleeping in there or is it just for the cats? If it is just the cats which ones are sleepng in there? It could be that is just the most convenient. Maybe they don't want to go downstairs? And maybe they don't want to use the other ones because someone is near, or they can see outside when using it and animals might be walking by.

" so today after the big guys went in there bowie then went and had to go in there." - Yes, they will do that and that can be a sign of wanting to "own" it as well.

" this time he actually peed in there but the problem with bowie is he pees high which means he lifts his body when he pees and ends up peeing on the walls and floor." - Yes, I have a girl like that. Is he pretty long?

" i switched this litter box now to one with a cover, but hope this is not going to cause problems." - I hope not. Change can cause isseus.

" we have options all over the house and still one right outside in hallway. " - Which is the exact right thing to do.

"not sure what else i can do" - On litter boxes not much. BUT I would really step up play with Bowie in there. And I would add a cat tree and/or a scratching post so he can get his scent on things in other ways (to own more things).

"but at least he went in there." - AGREED!!!

"i don’t think gizmo likes covered boxes but downstairs there are uncovered ones as well" - I would think (and hope) that he would then chose to go downstairs.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that’s where the little guys usually sleep with me. i think the older guys stopped using the two litter boxes in the laundry room while the little guys were isolated in the room right next to it so hopefully they will start using again. bowie has literally stood by the door of the bedroom and kind of like almost blocked entry to the older cats not physically but they get annoyed by it. there are still open litter boxes downstairs so closed ones are not the only option gizmo will just have to walk a little further. bowie has a ton of stuff in my bedroom his cat tree and the two little beds he and bob sleep in so he should feel comfortable it seems he’s more blocking the older ones from me in there as opposed to the space.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that’s where the little guys usually sleep with me. i think the older guys stopped using the two litter boxes in the laundry room while the little guys were isolated in the room right next to it so hopefully they will start using again. bowie has literally stood by the door of the bedroom and kind of like almost blocked entry to the older cats not physically but they get annoyed by it. there are still open litter boxes downstairs so closed ones are not the only option gizmo will just have to walk a little further. bowie has a ton of stuff in my bedroom his cat tree and the two little beds he and bob sleep in so he should feel comfortable it seems he’s more blocking the older ones from me in there as opposed to the space.
"that’s where the little guys usually sleep with me." - Ok.

" i think the older guys stopped using the two litter boxes in the laundry room while the little guys were isolated in the room right next to it so hopefully they will start using again." - Very well could be, would not be surprising.

" bowie has literally stood by the door of the bedroom and kind of like almost blocked entry to the older cats not physically but they get annoyed by it." - Really, interesting.

" there are still open litter boxes downstairs so closed ones are not the only option gizmo will just have to walk a little further." - Ok good.

" bowie has a ton of stuff in my bedroom his cat tree and the two little beds he and bob sleep in so he should feel comfortable it seems he’s more blocking the older ones from me in there as opposed to the space." - Yes, maybe it is a bit territorial. Keep playing with him in there. I wonder if he thinks that is your and the little guys space.

Interesting. I would step up play with him in there. You also might want to give all of them some treats in there to make some positive associations in there.

We will solve it, hang in there.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think he does. the older guys always hang with us while watching tv but never were big on sleeping with us, so the little guys started to and i think they think that is their time. they have started hanging more with us during tv time but right now our couches are kinda dismantled waiting for new foam so we only have a couple chairs in their so the older ones are always on our laps there but the little guys usually find somewhere in there to sit, back of chair, on the back of the cushion less couches but they have never been big on sitting long period of time on our laps just like to sleep on top of me. but 48 hours and no incidents!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bob just peed all over i don’t know what to do.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he peed on the couch just while we were all watching television last night. we have been playing in there and trying do do everything right.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he peed on the couch just while we were all watching television last night. we have been playing in there and trying do do everything right.
Ughhhhhhhhh. Ok.

"he peed on the couch just while we were all watching television last night. we have been playing in there and trying do do everything right." What exactly happened? Were the humans gone? Were the humans with the older cats on the couch before this happened? Was he on the couch and did you get up and leave? And if so, where were the older cats?

How was Bob acting before? Any odd nervous, walking around, tail low, etc?

Where was Bowie when Bob peed?

Confidence does take some time to build so it wouldn't happen in 48 hours so it does take some time.

Do you think he is attached more to you than your husband? In other words, do you think you are a part or a big part of their confidence? Especially Bob's? And if you leave him he might get anxious?

"i think he does. the older guys always hang with us while watching tv" - Ok. Do you sense Bob wants to be with you while watching TV and just doesn't feel confident that he can with the older guys there?

" but never were big on sleeping with us, so the little guys started to and i think they think that is their time." - Yep, that makes sense.

" they have started hanging more with us during tv time but right now our couches are kinda dismantled waiting for new foam so we only have a couple chairs in their so the older ones are always on our laps there but the little guys usually find somewhere in there to sit, back of chair, on the back of the cushion less couches but they have never been big on sitting long period of time on our laps just like to sleep on top of me. " - So the little guys are close to you and the older guys? Do they seem comfortable or do they seem like they want to be with you (even though they may not stay with you)?

"but 48 hours and no incidents!" - Was there anything that you can think of that ight have happened? Any change in how Bob was acting, interacting (with humans or cats). Did he throw up his food or not eat as well as he has been? Anything that might have been stressful (includes not feeling well in addition to anything with the other cats).

I am so sorry but we will figure this out and solve it.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes bob was kind of trying to get ruffy off of the chair that ruffy was sitting on. we were all just watching television and bob started messing with ruffy and was on the back of the chair he was on swiping at him. all of a sudden he went on the couch where ruffy sometimes sits and started peeing there. it seems in retrospect that a lot but not all of the times he has peed it has been in areas ruffy likes to sit. i’ve never noticed problems between them before but jealousy?

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
right now too with no couch there are only two chairs at least before when our couch was there there were areas to sit. i may watch tv in the basement for a few days to see if they want to hang with me there

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes bob was kind of trying to get ruffy off of the chair that ruffy was sitting on. we were all just watching television and bob started messing with ruffy and was on the back of the chair he was on swiping at him. all of a sudden he went on the couch where ruffy sometimes sits and started peeing there. it seems in retrospect that a lot but not all of the times he has peed it has been in areas ruffy likes to sit. i’ve never noticed problems between them before but jealousy?
"yes bob was kind of trying to get ruffy off of the chair that ruffy was sitting on. we were all just watching television and bob started messing with ruffy and was on the back of the chair he was on swiping at him. all of a sudden he went on the couch where ruffy sometimes sits and started peeing there" - Oh, ok. That makes some sense. Yes, it sounds a bit territorial. If you sense that just step in and try to distract in a positive way. Don't panic or get loud or anything just try to calmly reassure, distract, etc. Try to make it as positive as possible.

We'll try to make sure that Bob has some more positive encounters with both Rufus and Gizmo and make some positive associations (using food) and positive encounters (so try to have them near each other but focused on something else, something positive).

"it seems in retrospect that a lot but not all of the times he has peed it has been in areas ruffy likes to sit. i’ve never noticed problems between them before but jealousy?" - I think there may be some issues. :/ So just try to do some things to help them make those positive associations and to have positive encounters to build trust. I am thinking Bob is just lacking a bit of confidence for some reason so just keep working on the above and keep playing with him, give him treats there after play, be loving with him. You might want to consider adding a cat tree around there to give another ownership opportunity.

"right now too with no couch there are only two chairs at least before when our couch was there there were areas to sit." - Ok

" i may watch tv in the basement for a few days to see if they want to hang with me there " - Ok.

I think we just have a little confidence issue between Bob and the older guys so try to get them to do things positive together and to make every encounter between them as positive as possible distracting and reassuring them in a positive way as needed.

I think I ma understanding what is going on better. Let me know what questions you may have. We will fix this, hang in there.