cat peeing on blankets

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
i think now that bowie and bob are in the small room downstairs for a little isolation period the older guys are not really using the litter boxes in the basement cause the rooms are right next to each other. i’m sure we can break them out of that habit eventually. bob does well in the room since he’s been in there awhile bowie not so great when i go see them he just cries at the door to get out. i bought a waterproof mattress cover for our day bed that is in that room should come today so i or my husband can spend a little more time with them the doc said the meds kick in in like seven to ten days so i want to wait til bowie been on meds for awhile to let him out for playtime out here
"i think now that bowie and bob are in the small room downstairs for a little isolation period" -

" the older guys are not really using the litter boxes in the basement cause the rooms are right next to each other." - Really? Hmmmmm, why do you think? I would have thought the older guys would not be bothered by the young ones being down there. BUT any change can be disconcerting. :/

"i’m sure we can break them out of that habit eventually." - Absolutely

" bob does well in the room since he’s been in there awhile" - Yes, that is good.

" bowie not so great when i go see them he just cries at the door to get out." - Totally normal since cats do not like having territory taken away. Just reassure him and make it as positive as possible for him.

"i bought a waterproof mattress cover for our day bed that is in that room should come today so i or my husband can spend a little more time with them" Great

" the doc said the meds kick in in like seven to ten days" - Ok

"so i want to wait til bowie been on meds for awhile to let him out for playtime out here" - Ok. I guess if you can really supervise him and play with him out there etc that would be best but I understand your fear.

Try to make things as positive as possible for them, try to keep things as "normal" and consistent as possible for them. Cats do not like change or territory being taken away or shrunken so we have to reassure them to help them overcome that.

Hang in there. They will get through this. It sounds like Bob is doing well and I think if Bob does well then Bowie will and they can use each other for confidence. SO I think you are probably close to halfway there.

Keep up the great work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
we moved the litter box from the bedroom to the upstairs hallway so hopeful when bowie out it won’t be an issue. they are doing great with the litter boxes in the room the little guys so that’s good. yeah im sure i’m going to go let them out sooner rather than later for playtime cause i want them together as much as possible! thanks again. bowie was a little less anxious to leave this afternoon so he is adjusting.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
we moved the litter box from the bedroom to the upstairs hallway so hopeful when bowie out it won’t be an issue. they are doing great with the litter boxes in the room the little guys so that’s good. yeah im sure i’m going to go let them out sooner rather than later for playtime cause i want them together as much as possible! thanks again. bowie was a little less anxious to leave this afternoon so he is adjusting.
"we moved the litter box from the bedroom to the upstairs hallway" -Oh. I would probably keep the litter boxes in the bedroom and then add one in the hallway. Or if there are two in the bedroom then move just one to the hallway. I am pretty cautious on moving litter boxes as cats tend not to like change. Adding litter boxes is fine but removing can cause issues.

"so hopeful when bowie out it won’t be an issue." - I think if Bob is around it probably will not be an issue but it is good to think about adding an option in the hall.

"they are doing great with the litter boxes in the room the little guys so that’s good." - Perfect. That tells me it is an insecurity thing fgoing on upstairs.

" yeah im sure i’m going to go let them out sooner rather than later for playtime cause i want them together as much as possible!" - Great. Just keep a close on on them and reassure them if they are sniffing, etc.

"thanks again." - You are very welcome

" bowie was a little less anxious to leave this afternoon so he is adjusting." - Great, I thought he would settle quickly but it is great to hear he is. Having Bob probably helps the adjustment a lot.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
so they are still doing good in room using litter boxes and playing. i think we will try it a little out of the room time in a couple days and see how it goes! i’ll keep you informed. and thanks

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
so they are still doing good in room using litter boxes and playing. i think we will try it a little out of the room time in a couple days and see how it goes! i’ll keep you informed. and thanks
Terrific, thank you for the update. That is fantastic. Tells me we are dealing with something very fixable.

Sounds good on the "out of the room" time. When you do just keep them engaged, make it positive, build confidence through play.

Thank you very much and I will keep a watch for the next update. Keep up the great work!! :rock:

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
i’m so conflicted as to letting them out for awhile i don’t know if it would confuse them more to let them in and out and that might be more stressful for them. they are doing great in here.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
i’m so conflicted as to letting them out for awhile i don’t know if it would confuse them more to let them in and out and that might be more stressful for them. they are doing great in here.
If they are doing well and you are a little worried let's just keep them where they are and keep loving them and building their confidence. We can get them up in the rest of the house in a few days or next weekend. As long as they are doing well I don't think we have to rush. We don't want to wait too log though as the older cats might have an adjustment issue. You might want to get the new guys scents on some old clothes and place those cloths were the resident/older cats hang out comfortably and where the new guys hung out before they went downstairs..

Don't worry, all will be well.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
oh my husband and i take turns laying down with them in the room and they lay on top of my legs and then after dinner the big guys are sitting on our laps so while they may be a little taken aback they have their scent. next weekend for sure. and thanks again. they even seem like they are eating better down there they used to puke fairly often and haven’t since they have been down there so that might be an issue i need to address whether eating with the big guys stress them out too

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
oh my husband and i take turns laying down with them in the room and they lay on top of my legs and then after dinner the big guys are sitting on our laps so while they may be a little taken aback they have their scent. next weekend for sure. and thanks again. they even seem like they are eating better down there they used to puke fairly often and haven’t since they have been down there so that might be an issue i need to address whether eating with the big guys stress them out too
Perfect. GREAT job. THAT is why they are doing so well.

Sounds good on next weekend.

"they even seem like they are eating better down there they used to puke fairly often and haven’t since they have been down there so that might be an issue i need to address whether eating with the big guys stress them out too" - Interesting. Maybe they do have a few minor issues.

DO they eat slower downstairs?

How did they get introduced when they came in the house?

We'll handle whatever comes our way. Keep up the great work!!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
it was a very difficult introduction. we got a new house at the same time i found them and then my husband decided not to retire so we had two homes(he had to live in city) so i was kind of doing it myself and the big guys were adjusting to a new home and two new cats. it’s weird the little cats would eat just a tiny bit and then immediately puke. the other cats would not bother them at all but maybe they thinks they are going to and ate too fast? i think they are eating more too so maybe their stomachs are adjusting. the little cats were in the room downstairs in same room they are now when they first got here and after work i did all the things they say to do like feed them with baby gate on door etc. but one of my older cats literally stayed in my closet for almost six months it was heartbreaking.