Cat Paw- Black Yucky Infection

Vcasimer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trying to find anyone whose cat has experienced this before! My cat has had black crusty infected paw/nail beds the past month or so. It started with both of his front middle claw beds- they were black, crusty, and kind of just dirty looking. I assumed it was just dirt and didn’t think too much of it, but then one of them started getting infected and bloody.

I took him into the vet, they cleaned all of his paws, and gave him antibiotics which cleared up the front paw infection. They also gave us some antifungal wipes to use on them nightly. I wasn’t super great about using them everyday because he really doesn’t like us touching them, and so he freaks out and bites/kicks/scratches us (and I’m 8 months pregnant so it’s hard to wrangle him and hold him down).

We noticed this week that now one of his BACK paws is also getting black and infected. See picture attached. We’ve been being more diligent about the fungal pads, and I also tried soaking the paw in warm soapy water (which lasted maybe 2 minutes).

We will be taking him back to the vet this week but does anyone have any idea what this could be? He eats the green pea and duck food because my other cat has allergies, so I don’t know if it could be an allergy to that specific brand? I’ve used the same litter since he was a kitten, so I’m not sure it could be the litter. Is he not cleaning himself right? Thank you!!!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Congrats!
Oh my goodness, it looks so swollen and ouchy! Poor baby.
He is indoor only?
Is he somehow walking through a chemical, or ? ....you're wondering if he's leaving urine on his feet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vcasimer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he’s an indoor only cat. Never goes outside ever! And we just moved into a new apartment and honestly I haven’t even really had to clean the floors or anything yet. When I do I just swiffer them, never use anything super harsh like bleach or whatnot.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He got this after you moved in? That really makes me wonder what the floors were cleaned with before, but you have other cats so I don't know....or, maybe just watch where he walks...

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The redness and swelling look like allergies to me.

Winnie'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trying to find anyone whose cat has experienced this before! My cat has had black crusty infected paw/nail beds the past month or so. It started with both of his front middle claw beds- they were black, crusty, and kind of just dirty looking. I assumed it was just dirt and didn’t think too much of it, but then one of them started getting infected and bloody.

I took him into the vet, they cleaned all of his paws, and gave him antibiotics which cleared up the front paw infection. They also gave us some antifungal wipes to use on them nightly. I wasn’t super great about using them everyday because he really doesn’t like us touching them, and so he freaks out and bites/kicks/scratches us (and I’m 8 months pregnant so it’s hard to wrangle him and hold him down).

We noticed this week that now one of his BACK paws is also getting black and infected. See picture attached. We’ve been being more diligent about the fungal pads, and I also tried soaking the paw in warm soapy water (which lasted maybe 2 minutes).

We will be taking him back to the vet this week but does anyone have any idea what this could be? He eats the green pea and duck food because my other cat has allergies, so I don’t know if it could be an allergy to that specific brand? I’ve used the same litter since he was a kitten, so I’m not sure it could be the litter. Is he not cleaning himself right? Thank you!!!
Hi! Wondering if you ever got a resolution to this? My kitten had this a few months back and very similar thing - the Vet said maybe an allergy and eventually it went away. Now it is back again though and I'm not really satisfied with just letting it fester and hoping for the best. I am going back to the vet and will suggest the probiotics like another article suggested, but wondering if you got any closure on this? Thank you very much!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! This is an old thread and the OP has not been back to the site for almost 3 years to the day, so I don't think that you will get a response. Checking with your vet is probably the best option.

Winnie'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! This is an old thread and the OP has not been back to the site for almost 3 years to the day, so I don't think that you will get a response. Checking with your vet is probably the best option.
Thank you, I figured as much but thought I'd take a shot. We actually just got back to the vet and thinks this is "pillow foot" linked to a generalized allergy issue (my cat has other symptoms such as swollen lip that have been recurring). We are doing steroid and antibiotics to immediately address his pain and swelling, putting him on a special diet and ran an allergy test. I will report back if I find out anything more. Also, due to the threads here, I asked the vet whether probiotics could help and she said why not try, so we're doing that too in addition to fish oil. Good luck to me getting my cat to take all of these things. Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank your for posting and please let us know what transpires with your baby. We have lots of information on getting meds into cats if you need that as well. Hope for a quick recovery.

Catstorulethemall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I figured as much but thought I'd take a shot. We actually just got back to the vet and thinks this is "pillow foot" linked to a generalized allergy issue (my cat has other symptoms such as swollen lip that have been recurring). We are doing steroid and antibiotics to immediately address his pain and swelling, putting him on a special diet and ran an allergy test. I will report back if I find out anything more. Also, due to the threads here, I asked the vet whether probiotics could help and she said why not try, so we're doing that too in addition to fish oil. Good luck to me getting my cat to take all of these things. Thank you!
I know this post and your response Winnie'sMom is also very old, but I'm curious what you found out about your cat. I'm trying to figure out what may be at issue in my cat as well.