Cat panting heavily after walk

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I take my cat out to walk from time to time since he really enjoys it, but today when I took him for one he started to freak out and ran like crazy in every direction (I’d like to clarify that I obviously had him on a leash, and he was wearing a harness). When I’d pick him up, he’d instantly jump out of my hands and keep running even though the leash was pulling him back. Eventually I managed to carry him home but when he got home he was panting very fast and breathing very rapidly. As of writing this his breathing is back to normal and he’s no longer panting but does anyone know what that was? Was he overheating, stressed, or is this a sign of a disease I should get checked out?? Any help would be very appreciated.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think SOMETHING panicked him, so it all sounds normal. From 'time to time' on his walking must not have been enough for him to remember and he panicked. Never take a cat any distance from home, they do tend to panic if they are in strange surroundings. If he forgot what it was like, even his own yard could panic him. i would either take him on walks more often just around the yard, or keep him indoors.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he smelled a predator on the same path you guys were. Are there coyotes in your area? They'll snatch small dogs and their leashes, probably same for cats. Maybe racoons, or dogs. If you're in the southeast possibly gators or large snakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, if it doesn't happen again, I'm thinking he smelled or heard something that scared the dickens out of him.
That actually might’ve been it because he started to panic after we started hearing a bunch of baby birds chirping very loudly and the sound of children playing, the noises were overlapping with each other so I think that might’ve really overwhelmed him?

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think SOMETHING panicked him, so it all sounds normal. From 'time to time' on his walking must not have been enough for him to remember and he panicked. Never take a cat any distance from home, they do tend to panic if they are in strange surroundings. If he forgot what it was like, even his own yard could panic him. i would either take him on walks more often just around the yard, or keep him indoors.
Thank you for the advice! He’s very curious and likes exploring so I thought it was a good idea to let him go out a bit every once in a while, but I see now that I might be overwhelming him by leaving the area he’s familiar with, especially in such a noisy neighborhood. I’ll keep in mind to just walk him around the front of our house or in the yard next time so he doesn’t get overwhelmed.

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he smelled a predator on the same path you guys were. Are there coyotes in your area? They'll snatch small dogs and their leashes, probably same for cats. Maybe racoons, or dogs. If you're in the southeast possibly gators or large snakes.
We don’t have coyotes or anything here, but there’s a lot of dog owners and he gets really freaked out by dogs, so I think he might’ve gotten overwhelmed by the scent of so many different dogs and from all the loud noises.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the noise bothers him, and it probably does, you could try walking him when the children are in school. You could also take a soft=sided carrier in case he suddenly decides he needs to climb you or hide a good distance from home. Beware, some cats, when they panic, will drag you through holly bushes. There are no holly leaved down where the cat is, where you are...

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the noise bothers him, and it probably does, you could try walking him when the children are in school. You could also take a soft=sided carrier in case he suddenly decides he needs to climb you or hide a good distance from home. Beware, some cats, when they panic, will drag you through holly bushes. There are no holly leaved down where the cat is, where you are...
Sorry for the late reply but I’ll definitely make sure to keep that in mind. Since the time I made this thread I’ve made sure to only take him out when the noise level is very low and there’s not a lot of people or animals around, and to turn back home immediately if I notice that he’s starting to get overwhelmed. Thanks so much for the tips!