Cat Owners: What is the most ANNOYING thing, and what is your BIGGEST FEAR about owning a cat?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do not respond to physical punishment like a dog, they just become afraid of you. They are too intelligent to discipline this way, you have to do it using psychology. My cats understand NO because they know I am not happy by the tone and the loudness and the fact that they get locked up in a room for 10 minutes. (no more than that or it is a punishment for something they forgot they did.) Just like a two year old human toddler they are stubborn and don't understand what we are trying to do. Kittens (cat under a year old) are very time consuming and get into everything. But their cuteness and antics make up for their naughtiness. Older cats are more laid back and don't get into near as much trouble. You earn a cats love and respect, and it is very much rewarding.
My biggest fear is the road out front, DON'T let your cat roam if it is at all possible. I've buried 8 strays and watched my soulmate die on that street, it is not something I would wish on anyone.
Just enjoy your new addition to the family, He/she will bring you much pleasure and joy, enjoy!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The most annoying thing about having a cat for me is that momment arround 4 in the morning/night when my cat decides that the best thing he could possible do is jumping on my boobs from a high place.
It is more painful than annoying, though.
My biggest fear is that he may die or suffer any illness which may obly me to take a difficult decission.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most annoying are the Mutant Ninja Teenaged Cat months that start around 6-8 months old and last through 14-16 months old. Adolescent kittens often get the middle-of-the-night zoomies around the house, knock things over, get fussy with food, pretend they don't like you anymore, and other "adorable" antics. That phase usually makes me wonder "Why did I get a kitten, instead of an adult cat???" Then it's over, and they turn into wonderful affectionate adult cats for life.

Biggest fear: Don't want to think about it until/unless it happens. Enjoy them while they're here.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Most annoying are the Mutant Ninja Teenaged Cat months that start around 6-8 months old and last through 14-16 months old. Adolescent kittens often get the middle-of-the-night zoomies around the house, knock things over, get fussy with food, pretend they don't like you anymore, and other "adorable" antics. That phase usually makes me wonder "Why did I get a kitten, instead of an adult cat???" Then it's over, and they turn into wonderful affectionate adult cats for life.

Biggest fear: Don't want to think about it until/unless it happens. Enjoy them while they're here.
Ugh yes Indy is in this phase she is a little <bleep> sometimes.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most annoying thing is people pointing out to me that I am covered in cat hair.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh yes Indy is in this phase she is a little <bleep> sometimes.
My little Farrell is just at the age where she is starting to bounce back and forth between sweet precious kitten and teenage disaster zone. Not full blown. Yet. Wish I could hit "fast forward" a few months on a remote or invent a kitty time travel machine, zapping her into the future cat.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most annoying thing is when she looks so cute you want to cuddle her (especially when she was tiny) she won't let me ! I get a little nip and she will start hitting me with her front paws when I finally put her back down ! We then have a little boxing match which my partner thinks Is hilarious! I fear her getting out and being hurt as she Is my fur baby! I panic when I can't find her knowing shes in the house hiding somewhere !

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biggest fear - illness/injury (of course)
Annoyance - I had to think for a long time on this one. I couldn't think of anything. ( They really are such sweet babies ) Then it hit me. Waking up at 2am to pee and stepping in cat vomit on your way to the bathroom. Uugghh! :eek: :barfgreen:

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
Annoying: Our cats taking up space on the bed as my husband and I sleep. As a kitten, Kiki would run around on my bed, not caring how sleepy I am or how sharp her claws are. When I was single, the fact that she slept on the same bed at night is overwhelming, as there is little to no room for me to move. Also, our cat Molly tends to wake me and my husband up at inappropriate times, pawing at our faces and rubbing her body against ours.

Fearful: I know that there are people who take pleasure in harming cats, and that disgusts me. All my cats are indoor cats not just because of this, but also because there are cars and wild animals that could harm them, and I don't want them getting lost. What's even more scary is when it's time to say goodbye, as we don't know when it would happen, and I consider them as a family member/friend. To say goodbye to a beloved animal is just as hard as saying goodbye to an actual person.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Biggest fear - illness/injury (of course)
Annoyance - I had to think for a long time on this one. I couldn't think of anything. ( They really are such sweet babies ) Then it hit me. Waking up at 2am to pee and stepping in cat vomit on your way to the bathroom. Uugghh! :eek: :barfgreen:
:yeah:
I almost fell two nights ago precisely because of that.:fireblob:

krazykatjenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratz on adopting your first cat friend!

If you haven't adopted a pet before, I think the biggest change is the feeling of responsibility. Just knowing that this life is completely dependent on you. Whether they'll be happy, sad, loved, healthy, comfortable. It's a huge thing to process. I still have nightmares about failing my pets. (Actually, I had a nightmare not long ago that an alligator tried to eat Alice and I flew into a rage, fought the alligator with my bare hands, and won. Woke up and told my fiancee about it and he said he pitied the alligator who tried to hurt my cat. :D)

Most annoying thing: you have to remember that the cat will be its own life with a head full of ideas and plans that won't always line up with your ideas and plans. Sometimes your plan will be to get some sleep before work and your cat's plan will be to jump on the human until the human wakes up and plays. Sometimes the cat will get sick as you're late and trying to rush out the door.

To me, I know every pile of puke I've had to clean up, every late night trip to the emergency vet, is all worth it when she bumps her head against my hand and looks at me with a kitty face shining with love and affection.

Oh, and definitely get pet insurance. Those emergency vet visits get expensive!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ You have to be careful not to get a cat bite . Very unlikely if your pet is tame and friendly. Male cats like to pee wherever they like to leave their 'mark' . Not good ! Neutering avoids the problem most of the time - but not always .
Keep kitty cat's claws trimmed to avoid being scratched when they play. It's for the cat's safety as well - sharp claws get stuck in fabric like curtains and pillows.
All the best !

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the most annoying thing is making cat food.
My bubba Tommy ended up with a FLUTD diagnosis. Ultimately ended up having surgery. It takes me about 2 hrs to make 20+lbs of raw food for him and my other bubba Stewart.
I tried store bought raw but there were fillers in it. I could order from Darwin's Pet as their formula looks reasonable and it's an autoship thing, but the boys have been on a strict diet for years and I know what I'm putting in their food right now. I'm not sure the calories or fat if I ordered it only knowing that their duck formula is the leanest.
I know they will eat duck too. Right now though their food is turkey and rabbit.
The other annoying thing is the worry.
Tommy blocked three times and could have died. The first was the worst. I worry even after surgery if he'll end up down the road with stricture and block back off again. I don't want my cat to be in pain and I definitely don't want him to be in pain leading up to his death.
At least kicking the boys off kibble reduces their risk for kidney disease even though they are very familiar with their water fountains around the house.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My biggest fear is that she'll follow me into the garage or outside and die (though I'm super careful and had a door isntalleld so that there were multiple doors between her and danger (sort of like a kitty airlock)

most annoying? She doesn't stop when told "No!" and she darned well DOES understand the word, since she'll yell it at me when she doesn't like what I am doing!(ie nail trimming )

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My greatest fear is losing them - either really lost outside or by dying. It is really, really hard to lose a beloved kitty.

Mingo doesn't have any annoying habits. He's an active adult, and so much fun to have. He does everything I do, and has to be in the middle of everything. I don't mind; I enjoy the companionship. Lily has the annoying habit of jumping on tables and counters, but we are working on this. She has learned what "No!" and "Get down!" mean and will now hop down, but I wish she wouldn't jump up there in the first place. She will also eat absolutely anything, so food of any kind is not safe left on a counter. Mingo also knows what "no" means and is really good about obeying.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha . I love this thread ! My extra annoying thing is at 7 months old gracie still likes to bite (it's more like a nip ) for attention and when she's in a mood! Yes and we have tried absolutely everything apart from waiting for her to grow out if it ! :evilgrin:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Haha . I love this thread ! My extra annoying thing is at 7 months old gracie still likes to bite (it's more like a nip ) for attention and when she's in a mood! Yes and we have tried absolutely everything apart from waiting for her to grow out if it ! :evilgrin:
Freya sued to be really bad about it, and still has a long way to go, but, slowly but surely, she's gotten better ( rarely biting feet was her first improvement), but now she seems to "get" that I don't like her biting me, and at least 8tries* to bite less ( she loves biting sooooo much, so she isn't always successful in her goal of not biting me :> ) Giving her a 5 minute timeout when she got really bitey seems to have helped, but, mostly i think it is just an age thing.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The most annoying thing about owning cats is the people who hate them. When you say you live with them, the scowling looks and comments. For no good reason. People who hate cats, don't even know them...
The most fear is having someone take them away. So I not in favor of authority originations because of this.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Akat92 congratulations on wanting to be a responsible pet owner and for wanting to learn about the challenges you may face. Too many people get a cat on a whim and dont realize they will be responsible for that animal, likely for many years. Then they run ads on the internet to give the pets away when they have lost interest or are having difficulties.

I add my voice to others. My greatest worry is they get sick, hurt or lost. I do take my boys outside. They are on harnesses and leads and I am outside within 30 or 40 feet of them and they are always within my sight. They love to explore and hunt and I dont want to deny them that pleasure.

When its time to come in, one of the cats almost always growls and hisses at me. He never bites or scratches me, and almost as soon as he is inside, he seems to have forgotten about it. But it annoys me as taking them outside is a very big time commitment for me and I have to make sacrifices to do it. I have come to learn that unlike most cats, greg's growling and hissing (at least at me), doesnt mean he is about to attack. But it's a nimor issue and i am learning to live with it....like the parent of an ungrateful child......but then he flops on the ground and purrs.

Our second cat, arnold, really has no annoying habits, other than me having to wash his butt once a month due to his long hair.

I think cats really respond to the environment they are in. If you have stress and tension in your home, they sense it and react the same way.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The most annoying thing about owning cats is the people who hate them. When you say you live with them, the scowling looks and comments. For no good reason. People who hate cats, don't even know them...
The most fear is having someone take them away. So I not in favor of authority originations because of this.
By the same token these organizations that take animals away have a reason. The animals are being abused or neglected.