Cat Obsessively Cries And Scratches At Door.

lalalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently I decided to try and take my cat outside using a hardness. It has been great so far! She is still a little awkward with the harness but once she gets used to the feeling she has a good wonder around the backyard. There is only one problem: once I bring her back inside she won't stop crying and scratching at the back door!

I know that she just wants to go back outside again, but I also have things to do and can't stay with her outside all day. She will stay at the door and cry and scratch for a good hour. When she comes back inside with me I have her some treats to show her that it is something positive. I've tried spraying water, clapping at her loudly and ignoring her to get her to stop but nothing seems to work. It is driving me up the wall! I understand her want to stay outside since she was once a stray, but like I said, I can't be out with her all day :( She doesn't want to wear a collar so I can't leave her to wonder on her own, and frankly I wouldn't let her anyway.

Any ideas?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her treats or wet food when she comes in & gets her harness removed. After that if she scratches at the door, calmly pick her up and place her in a room for 30-60 minutes (with litter/bed/food.) Repeat that behavior every time she does that to the door. She should get the message within 1-4 weeks.

Lastly cats LOVE routine. So set a time & stick to it :)

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you need to drop the concept of "outside at your convenience". If you let them out they're not going to understand why they can't go out other times. If your gonna let them out your gonna need to let them out all the time.
I went thru a similar thing with my 18mnth female. She was outside during the day and inside at night. She became more and more difficult to bring in at night and was attacked by a Tom. Now she's inside only.
Initially it was hard, she did the same whining and scratching.
1. Be clear. Let her no clearly that not going to be let out. State "no".
2. Don't give in to her. Every time you do it trains her to do it again.
3. Pick one, in all the time or outside regularly and relinquish control.
Sorry you'll have to pick one or the other. They're not going to understand or accept selective trips outside.
Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll think carefully about how/when I should let her out from now on.

lalalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you need to drop the concept of "outside at your convenience". If you let them out they're not going to understand why they can't go out other times. If your gonna let them out your gonna need to let them out all the time.
I went thru a similar thing with my 18mnth female. She was outside during the day and inside at night. She became more and more difficult to bring in at night and was attacked by a Tom. Now she's inside only.
Initially it was hard, she did the same whining and scratching.
1. Be clear. Let her no clearly that not going to be let out. State "no".
2. Don't give in to her. Every time you do it trains her to do it again.
3. Pick one, in all the time or outside regularly and relinquish control.
Sorry you'll have to pick one or the other. They're not going to understand or accept selective trips outside.
Good luck.
Do you think an enclosure connected to the house would be a good compromise? That way she can come and go as she pleases while still being in a safe space?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys know they come in when it gets dark & they get fed. Because of the heat the sliding glass door was open last night (the screen is broken/gone.) I went outside & got Dante 3 times... every time he went out last night (for 1-3 minutes until he went back inside.) When he was thinking about it I did my warning "Dante' in that mom tone. He knows. I never scold them or 'punish' them for coming back, I just go outside and call them/meow for them and slowly follow them around. It is more of an annoyance thing. When he comes in? I praise him and pet him. The door is usually closed at night we just had a record breaking heat wave & I was keeping an eye on him (he wanted to chase moths outside ;) )

It took me years to train them to stay in the backyard, that when it gets dark the sliding glass door gets shut and they might get locked out (for a half hour because I search for them but it has happened a couple of times,) the sliding glass door gets opened in the morning & they are not allowed out the front yard. It takes LOTS of time & consistency. From the very beginning I decided to always reward them for coming back so they wouldn't hide/run away from me. A harness & a consistent outside time would be easier to implement.

lalalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boys know they come in when it gets dark & they get fed. Because of the heat the sliding glass door was open last night (the screen is broken/gone.) I went outside & got Dante 3 times... every time he went out last night (for 1-3 minutes until he went back inside.) When he was thinking about it I did my warning "Dante' in that mom tone. He knows. I never scold them or 'punish' them for coming back, I just go outside and call them/meow for them and slowly follow them around. It is more of an annoyance thing. When he comes in? I praise him and pet him. The door is usually closed at night we just had a record breaking heat wave & I was keeping an eye on him (he wanted to chase moths outside ;) )

It took me years to train them to stay in the backyard, that when it gets dark the sliding glass door gets shut and they might get locked out (for a half hour because I search for them but it has happened a couple of times,) the sliding glass door gets opened in the morning & they are not allowed out the front yard. It takes LOTS of time & consistency. From the very beginning I decided to always reward them for coming back so they wouldn't hide/run away from me. A harness & a consistent outside time would be easier to implement.
Thanks for the advice! I have only had my cat for a little over a year and she is my first pet, so there is a lot of learning going on :(

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hahaha she likes being outdoors! i would try distracting her whenever she does it, for example, offering her toys or having her chase a laser or something. worse case scenario, put something big and heavy to obstruct her view of the door and she'll probably eventually stop.

i do have a question though! is she spayed? unaltered kitties will howl and try their hardest to get outdoors if they smell a potential mate in the area.

lalalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hahaha she likes being outdoors! i would try distracting her whenever she does it, for example, offering her toys or having her chase a laser or something. worse case scenario, put something big and heavy to obstruct her view of the door and she'll probably eventually stop.

i do have a question though! is she spayed? unaltered kitties will howl and try their hardest to get outdoors if they smell a potential mate in the area.
Even her favourite toy is no match for the great outdoors. Yes she is!

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
okay, she definitely just loves mother nature then! :lol: i hope you can figure out how to deter her!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 balconies 1 floor up. She likes to on both when I'm home and I'm putting a cat door in one of the Windows so she can access when I'm not home. Ive been fortunate that she has not been interested in jumping down and is content with that.
But an enclosure, a view out the window and a cat tree will help curb her interest.