Cat not eating very much lately. I think treats are the culprit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you guys warm up canned food after it has been in the refrigerator? He ate a few bites this morning....but the last few days when I tried to feed him again after the food was in the refrigerator, he didn't touch it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats would prefer to have it warmed a bit - or at least room temp - rather than cold from the fridge. Can't hurt to try. Don't microwave it though. You kind of have to put the food in a dish and set it inside a slightly bigger bowl with HOT water in it. Check it, stir it, until it is at least room temp. If you are adding water to his food, that is another option - add hot water and mix.

Don't want to freak you out, but some cats don't want the food unless it is 'fresh' from the can (already opened cans are like 'leftovers'). Hope that is not your case. What are you feeding him now? There are single serving foods like Sheba Perfect Portions or Nutro. They are about 1.32 oz each serving. A bit more expensive, but might spare you the waste if warming up doesn't work.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the portioned food. I feel like save in the fact that I have less waste. If Delilah liked a flavor 1 week then doen't the next week, I don't have a half a can wasting away, and being the kitty she is, I can try the flavor again in a month or two from the unopened portion. I mix Sheba, Nutro, and Crave, and I try to get them on sale (Nutro and Crave at Petsmart, Sheba in the supermarket with coupons). Her food is always at room temperature that way and to add water I swish a little around the container to get any last bits out before putting it on her food (no pates for Delilah though). For some reason I didn't like the Iams portions when I tried those for her.

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went by PetSmart yesterday after work and bought some of the Sheba portioned food... I bought 3 different flavors....6 servings total as I didn't want to buy too much incase he didn't like them. He ate one last night and a few treats.....And ate one this morning and a few treats... I just got home and gave him some treats and he ate a few, but not all. He is drinking water a little better and seems to be feeling better base on his body language.....Had a few days before where he didn't eat or drink anything and he was always hiding somewhere looking miserable......

Wednesday morning I got up early than normal to try and feed him....He wouldn't come out from under the bed.....I had to crawl under and get him....(This was before I got the Sheba yesterday).......I tried to feed him canned food and some treats to no avail.....But when I came home from work it was all gone....

We are going to the Vet tomorrow at 8a.m. for a follow up.....

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention.....he is used to eating when he wants as I left dry food always for him....so maybe if we get on a routine where I feed him small portions twice a day, he will eventually adjust

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless I have forgotten something in your posts, there is probably no reason not to leave a bit of the dry food out so he can 'snack' if he wants to, but continue to give him meals of the wet food as well. Unless he is an extremely small cat, two daily servings of the Sheba isn't going to be enough by itself. That would be around 80-90 calories in total. Just as a general rule of thumb a cat that weighs about 9 pounds should be getting at least 180 calories a day, if not more.

Is there any way to feed him more often than twice a day? The warming up of the canned food sounds like it might work, given you said you gave him some that he didn't eat right away but had finished it off by the time you got home. Kind of like it warmed itself up? Most any canned food can be left out for multiple hours before being concerned about it spoiling - but, they do tend to dry out within a lot less time.

Wish you both the best of luck at the vet appointment!

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes....I have left a bowl of his dry food available also, 24/7 just in case.....He has not touched it......It scared me when he stopped drinking water for 2 days....I forgot his weight the last Vet visit. ..He is a big boy, not fat but just a big cat.....I'll Post back tomorrow his weight......At this point, I am just happy he is eating SOMETHING consitantly for a few days in a row.....

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son gave him a few treats before he went to school this morning....
After I had left for work....He ate those.....He getting hungry which is good.....I didn't ask my son to do that.....He is 16 and he was worried about Trouble. ❤

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is acting hungry again....I think I will try and feed him another portion of the Sheba....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Disregard my feeding "paper plate"....got tired of washing bowls of food he didn't eat....
Just so you know, sometimes it is recommended that a cat who isn't eating be fed from a paper plate. I have never exactly understood the reasoning behind it, but apparently it has worked for many a member. Maybe one of them will come along and explain that - to both of us!!

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good....I don't even know what I'm doing anymore and why....Just trying to keep this CAT eating at this point.........Things seem better so that is good.......And for the record......My son and I use paper plates all the time.....Cuts back on dishes as we are all "Dudes" in this house......My son, my cat and me....😂