Cat not eating very much lately. I think treats are the culprit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did some blood work. He is very dehydrated. His anal glands were full He possibly could be diabetic. His liver numbers were high... He did eat a little canned food at the vet. It's not normal food but something they give cats after surgery. Forgot the name.

They also gave him 300ml IV of something called Vitavex. Guess who gets to give the IV the next two days? Me. Yikes. I used to give my cats shots when I was a kid but this will be interesting as he has to stay close by for 5-10 minutes...He did good at the vet with it ...I also have some pills called Cerenia. I believe it is for nausea.

The vet is more concerned about his eating for now so we have to go back next Friday. She said it's possible once he starts feeling better he may start to eat his old food. If not, I will have to try some canned food mixed in with the dry maybe. Not sure how I'm going handle that. I may pick up some canned food tomorrow after work.

What really sucks is money is tight right now. A crappy year for everyone I am sure. UGH!

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't qualify. I have a good job. I work for a major Airline.....Due to Corona, they cut our hours to 30 hours per week which is equal to a 25% pay cut. Then my ice make quit working....then my AC quit working.....Then my son was diagnosed with ADHD and Dr's and medicine... Then I had hernia surgery after and with insurance I paid almost $4k out of pocket .....Just a bad year for sure...I have lots on my plate....I'm blessed for sure as many people are without jobs and many businesses have folded....So trying to be thankful with my situation and what I do have....not easy. I'm sure we all have suffered this year to some degree.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now he is dipping his paw in it and licking his paw....bit sure what that means
Feeby (16+ yo) has been doing this for a while now too! Have no idea why, but I could never pinpoint it to mean anything. I hope it is just a new 'quirk' for him as it has been for her.

Also, about the food, in case I haven't already said it (probably did, sorry), even baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) are a big draw for cats. Been using them to get some meds down Feeby. Canned tuna or chicken in water also works for her. I have a list of other things I have tried with Feeby as well, if you want them.
Here are some TCS articles on the subject as well, just in case they give you some ideas.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight – TheCatSite Articles

Did I miss his name?

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice....Going to hide the pill in some canned food tomorrow and see what happens........just hide the pill in a tiny part of the canned food the vet gave me and let him eat it off my finger so I know he swallowed it. 🙏...........When I had my dog it was much easier ...coat the pill in peanut butter and away it goes. 🤗

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of my cats lick water from their paws. I think it is more about checking where the water level is in the bowl or just an easy way to lap it up compared to putting their face in the bowl. I have discovered that my cats much prefer a glass bowl. :dunno: Or even a flat saucer. :dunno: Naturally! I have dozens of stainless bowls. I am slowly replacing them with glass.
I am wondering if he was simply dehydrated from eating those treats and just dry food. Cats are not great about drinking. In nature they seek out running water if possible. Supposedly they see this as fresher in nature. IDK When I have a sick cat, I let a FSU et drip. Some love that! Others , not do much because they like to lay in the bathroom sink. Lol
I had to do fluids through IV at home too. Unh. A week! We got through it though. It’s a bit tricky to do it and hold the cat but Smokey forgave me. It made all the difference for her so it was worth it. Our hearts are with you and kitty! Please keep us updated.

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's funny because as a kid growing up with all kinds of pets ....I used to let the water drip from my bathroom sink as my cat loved that........a slow drip.....When I went to visit my parents, I would turn on the sink as the cats like that.....❤....even today when I was filling up his water bowl, he started drinking from the bowl as I was filling it up

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was 16.....I woke up one morning and our cat was circling my bedroom.......following the walls ......with his whiskers....... I remember we took him to the vet.....He lost his vision.....and was blind all of a sudden......we had a dog at the time and they hated each other........the cat did well being blind.....one day he went to the back door to be let out to go potty.....where the dog he hated resided ......it started raining....the cat was wet from the rain.....our dog at the time was a Collie mix....end of the story was the the dog snuggled the cat under the back porch roof and licked the rain off the cat ....they were snuggling.....so love is blind is what I learned from that as a teen ...

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate a little bit of wet food. After the IV...I gave him some treats and he ate a little but left some treats on the floor . Wish he could tell me what's going on. ☹....He doesn't feel well

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He stopped eating his treats. I went and got him some different treats and some canned food and he ate a little of that. I didn't even worry about mixing in his old dry food with the new at this point as I was afraid he wouldn't eat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's probably time to reach out to the vet and let them know what is going on.

Have you tried any of the foods listed in the articles above to see if that would at least get him to eat something?

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm am calling tomorrow as our appointment is not until Friday. He seems to like the canned food I bought and treats...I just bought some Science Diet canned food. A variety pack incase he didn't like one flavor.....I'll try and get him to eat a little more this evening....I was just glad he ate SOMETHING at this point as he ate nothing yesterday.....

He didn't drink any water though so that is concerning.....I have been filling his water bowl with fresh water several times a day.

Heelfan71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate a little this morning.......an hour later he drank some water ........I had car trouble this morning and had to stay home......can 2020 suck anymore???1...He is next to me now purring.

Attachments