cat not eating prior to I131 treatment

SueH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Dora was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a year ago, but was allergic to the medication. She has lost a lot of weight (now under 4lbs , down from 7+lbs). We are struggling to get her to eat, we have tried all the options, baby food, nutritional yeast, supplements etc. We are getting the I131 treatment in a couple of weeks but we are so worried that she will be too weak even after the treatment and won't go back to eating normally. Does anyone have any experience with cats not eating before the treatment, going back to eating afterwards? we are worried that there might be something else causing the lack of appetite, but our vert hasn't found anything.
Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I can understand your concern about Dora's weight loss and would be worried too. Our cat did not have a problem with eating before or after the treatment so I can't comment on that question. However, I was curious if your vet performed all the necessary tests prior to receiving the I-131 injection to determine if she is a good candidate. These are generally done one month before. The specific tests I'm referring to are Urine Analysis, Full Chemistry Panel/CBC, T-4, Lung/chest x-rays, etc. The reason I asked is because you mentioned your vet has not found anything. My suggestion would be for your vet to consult with the radiologist who will be administering the I-131. Best of luck and please keep us updated on Dora's progress.:crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SueH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, we got all the tests done and sent to the clinic. On paper she looks like a good candidate. The nearest (I-131) clinic is 3 hours drive away, but we are going there tomorrow (A week ahead of the procedure) so that their vet can check her out and reassure us (hopefully) that this will make a difference, and that she is not too weak to benefit from it. Our own vet was not aware of the improvements in the radiation procedure, otherwise we would have done this earlier.