Cat not eating - behavioral

mio-nozawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So wasn't sure whether or not to post this in nutrition or behavior.

We have a cat, Honey, who has been diagnosed with anorexia with no underlying cause. We have gone to the vets multiple times (different vets), to try and figure this out.

We have also tried multiple kinds of food, really every kind and brand of food. I don't think there is a brand or flavor or style of food we haven't tried.

She will eat it one day, and then not the next. Or she will love it for a whole week, but then never want to eat it again. Her issue seems more psychological - we have another cat, Nozawa, and she has some kind of weird connection to the way he eats.

Examples:
If he won't start his food, then she won't start her food.
Sometimes she won't start her food until he has finished his.
If we give them the exact same food, she won't eat her food, but once he is finished she will eat his leftovers.
If you give her wet food with some dry food, she will pick out bits of the dry food, but she won't eat dry food by itself.
If we separate her from him, or him from her, she won't eat at all. He also may not eat if we do this.
She is obsessed with Fortiflora powder - if we put it on the food before she sees it, she won't eat it - she has to physically see you put the powder on. But even that eventually stops working.

Every couple of weeks with give her an appetite stimulant that works for a few days, but then she starts being weird again. She's very inconsistent. I am legit hiring a pet psychic to help because I cannot work out what to do with her.

if anyone has any advice, I would be glad to try it.

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since she was diagnosed? Is it recent? I know there are vets who specialize in ethology, they can visit your house and do a check up, maybe there's something in your house that's stressing your kitty out that may be causing this behavior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mio-nozawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s been going on for a couple of years, I think the last time we took her in was November. Nozawa can be aggressive to our other cats, but generally seems to like her, so I am sure it is something to do with that which is causing the behavior.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would try posting this in the behavior forum as well because it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with her actual food. Doesn't sound like it's about being picky.

To me it sounds like she may be afraid to eat before your boy cat just in case he may attack her for her food, but not sure. One would think separating them would be a good thing, but yo said not so. I guess she needs to know for sure that he ate, otherwise she still doesn't feel safe. Who is the dominant cat?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe feed one in a cat carrier? Or feed on different levels, ie one on a cat tree or counter, one not. Has she had an ultrasound done? What types of food have you fed? Have you tried carrageenan free wet food only? How many times a day do you feed them?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So wasn't sure whether or not to post this in nutrition or behavior.

We have a cat, Honey, who has been diagnosed with anorexia with no underlying cause. We have gone to the vets multiple times (different vets), to try and figure this out.

We have also tried multiple kinds of food, really every kind and brand of food. I don't think there is a brand or flavor or style of food we haven't tried.

She will eat it one day, and then not the next. Or she will love it for a whole week, but then never want to eat it again. Her issue seems more psychological - we have another cat, Nozawa, and she has some kind of weird connection to the way he eats.

Examples:
If he won't start his food, then she won't start her food.
Sometimes she won't start her food until he has finished his.
If we give them the exact same food, she won't eat her food, but once he is finished she will eat his leftovers.
If you give her wet food with some dry food, she will pick out bits of the dry food, but she won't eat dry food by itself.
If we separate her from him, or him from her, she won't eat at all. He also may not eat if we do this.
She is obsessed with Fortiflora powder - if we put it on the food before she sees it, she won't eat it - she has to physically see you put the powder on. But even that eventually stops working.

Every couple of weeks with give her an appetite stimulant that works for a few days, but then she starts being weird again. She's very inconsistent. I am legit hiring a pet psychic to help because I cannot work out what to do with her.

if anyone has any advice, I would be glad to try it.
Sounds like one of my cats except she occasionally must have pure bites and will only eat it if she sees me put it on. Sometimes she wants to eat by herself,sometimes with my cats. It can be frustrating!