Cat neutered today - looks like testicles still there?

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just picked up my kitty Wonton fro his neutering about an hour ago, and I looked at his surgery site to see what it looks like so I know what normal is. It looks as if his testicles are still there, which i was surprised by. Is that normal?? I attached a photo so you know what i mean (sorry haha!!). It looks red with a bit of blood, i guess that must be ok if the vet left it like that?
20200618_164210.jpg

Also i was told he needs to wear a cone for 10 days but i did a lot of research regarding that and almost everything I read said that isnt necessary unless they go crazy on his incision. I took it off and so far he hasn't bothered it... but im really scared to sleep without it in incase he gets at it. What did you guys do in that situation?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like you have a very competent vet who has done a very nice job.
Vets gone cone crazy last few years..i wouldnt bother about it unless cat is worrying at the incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like you have a very competent vet who has done a very nice job.
Vets gone cone crazy last few years..i wouldnt bother about it unless cat is worrying at the incision.
Definitely wasn't trying to sound like I thought they did it incorrectly! Haha. I just was wondering how normal it was for the testicles to still be there like that, as I'd never heard of it. Sorry If there was any miscommunication :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have left the bag which makes the cat look semi complete which is a lot nicer way of doing it.
I get way too paranoid over every little thing with my kitties!! :frustrated:Thanks for letting me know.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just picked up my kitty Wonton fro his neutering about an hour ago, and I looked at his surgery site to see what it looks like so I know what normal is. It looks as if his testicles are still there, which i was surprised by. Is that normal?? I attached a photo so you know what i mean (sorry haha!!). It looks red with a bit of blood, i guess that must be ok if the vet left it like that?
I agree with Silver Crazy Silver Crazy that your vet did a good job. The swell will be there for a week or so as it is filled with blood. It'll slowly subside and flatten out. Just make sure that the incisions are kept clean and dry. Some blood will still be present but will soon be gone.

Look out for any pus or foul smell and if there is, it means that there's an infection or the slit opens u, please bring you boy in to the vet immediately. Wearing of the E-collar is not necessary as many cats does not like it. Just as long as your boy don't lick too much on he incision should be ok.
Make sure he doesn't jump or run too much for the next few days. Use a slightly damp warm soft towel and gently dab the incisions after he use litterbox to clear the litter dust. Keep it dry and clean for a faster healing.

It take 6 - 8 weeks for the testosterones to leave the system. After a few weeks, fur will grow back and the surgical area will be soft and flat to touch.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, most vets now leave the sack, and right after surgery things are kind of swollen so it looks like the testicles are still there. But they aren't. It'll flatten out as it heals and the sack shrinks up.