Cat Meows And Meows And Meows And 2nd Cat Thoughts

daremo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10 month old kitten/cat who meows and meows and meows and meows and meows. I don't mind it most of the time unless he pokes his paw in my back trying to get my attention. I have bought him lots of toys and trying to fill his life with some things to do. I thankfully work at home so am able to spend some time through out the day and play with him.

He meows and I turn on one of chase toys. He gets sick of that in a minute and he meows again I try picking him up and in a couple of minutes of petting he wants down. I clean his litter box once a day. He gets food twice a day. I give him cold water and he has toys strewn in the apartment. He has a cat tree. He lives better than I do!

I have read all over the place "the experts" talk about get a second cat. When I read the experiences here and else where, it sounds like that it is not an easy solution and can be frustrating. It sounds like it is a lot of work to introduce a cat and also no guarantee that the cats like each other and then they both end up tag teaming needing attention. I am not sure I want a second cat unless it will really help Max.

I am wondering if my cat is just still in it's kitten/teen phase and likes causing problems or there is something I am doing wrong? I guess I should be happy he is not out on the street corner smoking cigarettes, getting tattoos and selling drugs. Maybe he doesn't like having to wear a tie and a feather all day long.

What are people's thoughts?
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Max wants that red feather replaced with a blue one. ;)

No, seriously, it sounds like you're doing great with him regarding the entertainment factor. I, like you, am not necessarily sure that a second cat can be a good idea in some cases. But I did read that you feed him just twice a day, and at 10 months old, it might be that he is just getting a bit hungry sometimes. I'd suggest adding in at least one other smaller snack or meal during the day/night. That might help.

Max is sure a handsome fella!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are rewarding him for meowing. You have to ignore him when he meows. And lavish him with attention when he is quiet. It will drive you totally crazy for awhile, but it works. I also think he would be better off with a playmate.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello daremo daremo , at 10 months old, Max is pretty still a kitten till he's one year old when he is considered an adult but it may take a little while more for some cats to really hit the maturity even if they are supposed to be an adult by a year old. Some breeds takes up to four years to reach maturity.

So I would feed him more or as much as he can eat. His meowing could be due to hunger. His food intake will taper down as he past his one year old. Since you are home mist of the time, it's easier for you to feed him more times a day.

Well, getting a second cat does not always solve the problem. It takes time for proper introduction and it may add on to your frustration. Maybe you take it step by step and don't rush into the second cat thought as for now.

Try to increase the food intake and work from there. Sometimes the meowing is just seeking attention and he wants something else or to do something else. My boy does that when he wants something. He'll meow to get attention and sit at the place that he wants to go to like for example, going into the wardrobe or opening the room door. Of course he'll meow if he wants food :lol:

And for toys, they have their favorite toys. I too bought many toys for me boy but he doesn't play with them but only selected ones. So I stopped buying toys for him now and most of them are diy and if he doesn't like it, it's ok.

Yes, he is still going through phases and just be patience with him.

He's a cute looking guy :lovecat::lovecat4: