Cat Makes Straining Noise In Throat

geercom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lately my cat makes this straining noise in his throat every now and then like he's in trouble. I don't what it is but after 5-10 seconds it clears up and goes away. It's kind of a higher sound, a little like he's using his voice he uses when he meows but it's not a meow. It's kind of a stringy continuous sound. I don't know how to describe it.

Thoughts?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you record the noise and share it with the vet? Is it definitely not a purring noise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

geercom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely not purring. He gets up from my lap and goes to the floor until he clears it up.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe he's trying to get a hairball out? I would have the vet check the cat out to make sure that isn't something serious going on.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can offer your boy some cat grass to help him regurgitate. You can offer him raw egg yolk (1 tsp, no whites) to try to break up a hairball and pull it through. This will make a mess of your cat's next poop. If he starts eating less or vomiting, definitely take him into the vet. He could have an obstruction that won't pass or come up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

geercom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have oral hairball medicine from the last time he had an issue. I gave him some of that.