Cat made slightly ill by eating Poet's Laurel (Danae racemosa) from flower arrangement

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3.5 year-old health male cat likes to go over to my mother's house because he's infatuated with my mother's cat. I have to go help her with dinner every night, so it's often a daily thing. Yesterday, he seemed under the weather and wasn't eating, so I booked a vet appointment for tomorrow, the soonest I could get. (We don't have enough vets around here.)

Then, just now, he threw up a big ball of partially-digested plant leaves, but I have no plants in the house. Then it occurred to me. A family member sent my mother a flower arrangement for Thanksgiving. It was still there, so I went over to check. Sure enough, it had poet's laurel in it, so apparently, he ate some leaves off the flower arrangement. Before anyone freaks out about "laurel," poet's laurel is in the asparagus family and is not deadly poisonous. It's often used in flower arrangements because it stays green a long time

So since he's thrown it up and seems to feel better, would you still take him to the vet?

I hate flower arrangements. I have a number of friends whose cats have been made sick by them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would at least call the vet and tell them what has happened. Given the time that has passed, the odds are they will just tell you to monitor him for continued improvement - or for signs of regress. Nonetheless, it can't hurt to inform them and see what they say.