Cat Litter, whats best???

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

As far as the WORST cat litters in my opinion go: Yesterday's News (pellet) takes the cake and not in a good way! It's a nightmare to attempt to scoop, and it has 0 odor control! In second place I'd put Feline Pine- it made me have an asthma attack because of the aweful smell (before my cats ever had a chance to use the littler pan!).
I use Feline Pine, and I love the smell of pine, and I'm not allergic to it. So, assuming one is not allergic, or averse to the smell, what's wrong with it? As long as litter is the topic of this thread, I'm posing the question to the others, since no one even mentioned it. Opinions on Feline Pine please?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Presto

what's wrong with it?
See my other posts in this thread : abietic acid is what is wrong with it. You run the risk of causing some lung damage with long term use of it.

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I won't use wood pellets in my house because abietic acid is a serious respiratory irritant - just as bad, if not worse than silica in clay.
Abietic Acid is not a "serious irritant"; it is a very mild skin or respiratory irritant IN IT'S PURE FORM. Wood pellots (particularly conifers) contain it in the resin only. Let's not get carried away here! Of course, if YOU are allergic to wood pellots, then end of story.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use solely tractor supply brand clumping-paws and claws I think it the name. I believe is $5.99 for 25 lb bag. They will often run a sale as well. It's low dust and clumps great.

Leslie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Presto

Abietic Acid is not a "serious irritant"; it is a very mild skin or respiratory irritant IN IT'S PURE FORM. Wood pellots (particularly conifers) contain it in the resin only. Let's not get carried away here! Of course, if YOU are allergic to wood pellots, then end of story.
Then why not go all the way and use the cedar cat litter they make? You could say the same thing about it to make it sound safe.

Simply put, once you have a cat with severe lung problems you start taking this stuff more seriously.

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about "Cedar" cat litter. They don't sell it where I am. Besides, we were talking about Feline Pine.