Cat Litter, whats best???

gristoby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats and live in an apartment. I would like to know whats best for small spaces. Ive tried a bunch of different kinds. Some are good and some are horrible. Let me know what you think. Thanks a bunch!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use chicken feed which is close to mixing swheet scoop and world s best ... work for my four cats well in two of the boxes ... the other box has special kitty clay clumping... Cant complain it is have the price of the other yet seems to work well...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on your cats. Some cats won't use certain litters or litter box systems.

I'm another that uses chicken feed as I have a cat that cannot be around any clay dust. It works fairly well and is cheap, but many don't like the grainy smell (swheat and WBCL have that same issue). I prefer it to anything perfumed as the makes the humans in the house sick.

What have you tried so far that definitely doesn't work for you or the cats?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is best is what works for you and the cats.

We use the wood stove pellets for litter and like that more then regular litter or even the scoopable litter. Have been using it now for more then 3 yrs. And its darn cheap too - $5 for 40 lb bag!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, hands Down Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra... Great clumping, great odor control, never had a problem with it... It rocks!

minouloveblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chicken feed? Where do it get it. Sounds like a great solutions. I too have struggled with what clumps best and what's best for the cats.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats all using scoop away clumping litter. Works wonder in my opinion. My room doesn't smell and i can easily scoop out their urine balls lol. That's the only one they seem to like.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by minouloveblue

Chicken feed? Where do it get it. Sounds like a great solutions. I too have struggled with what clumps best and what's best for the cats.
A feed store .. ie a store that sells horse, cow or pig feed

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We use the wood stove pellets for litter and like that more then regular litter or even the scoopable litter.
Wood pellets here too, very economical, lasts a long time, easy to clean, no dust, and no odour.

I won't use clumping or crystal litter.

wendyally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

I have 4 cats all using scoop away clumping litter. Works wonder in my opinion. My room doesn't smell and i can easily scoop out their urine balls lol. That's the only one they seem to like.
I think it might be a matter of preference. To some people good value (price) is important. To others, odor control, regardless of price is the most important factor.

For me, convenience and odor control were the two most important. So, scoopable clay-based kind worked best for me. Easy to keep clean, and no smell. But not the cheapest.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever works for both you and the kitties is the best. . .it takes some experimenting. Right now my current favorite is Tidy Cats for Small Spaces. It has a nice minty-citrus scent I like. Also Special Kitty clumping with Orange Magic (in the orange box). I don't like floral or perfume-y scents. And every time I've tried natural-type litters, my asthma kicks up. I think I'm allergic to that stuff. Or the litter didn't have any odor control and I couldn't stand it. So clumping clay is the best for us.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've now switched most of my boxes to safflower seed and only one is still chicken feed in order to get rid of possible respiratory irritates in my home. There's no odor control from the seeds but so far the cats only urinate in them. With the way its set up the urine gets dumped a couple times a day causing no urine smell in the house at all.
Plus I'm not making any sort of trash with it.

Commercial versions of this set up would be the smart cat box and tidy cat breeze if anyone wants a completely dust free option.

I won't use wood pellets in my house because abietic acid is a serious respiratory irritant - just as bad, if not worse than silica in clay.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I won't use wood pellets in my house because abietic acid is a serious respiratory irritant - just as bad, if not worse than silica in clay.
Is that in aspen pellets (sold for horse stalls and small animals), or just in stove pellets? Because I tried the aspen pellets and they were the worst yet. I thought maybe I was allergic to aspen. . .but if they have abietic acid that would explain it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Is that in aspen pellets (sold for horse stalls and small animals), or just in stove pellets? Because I tried the aspen pellets and they were the worst yet. I thought maybe I was allergic to aspen. . .but if they have abietic acid that would explain it.
Aspen is considered "safe" to use around animals. But other types of pellets will reuse sawdust from other woods, too.

And it's certainly possible that you're allergic. There are other resins in it that show some signs of toxicity. Does pine or cedar bother you? My DH and his father are very allergic to cedar, even cutting or chipping up just the wood makes them ill.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer Multi Cat Extra Strength Clumping Litter for Kojak & Isabella's boxes (It is my favorite litter! Easy to use, low dust, coupons are easy to find, and it is amazing on litter box odors!). I use a different litter for my elderly kitty Velvet though because she can be forgetful at times (if you know what I mean)! For her, I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter (Odor Control)- for reference, it gets Velvet into her litter pan and she uses it which is wonderful! (She's been having some issues as she's gotten older) It is NOT good on odors though (even their multi-cat formula isn't good on odor control!); you have to scoop daily if not multiple times a day with it and I still add baking soda to the littler pan as well as air freshners to the room because of that one litter pan (the other two stay odor- free with the Arm & Hammer multi cat litter)!

I like both of those litters for differnt reasons (the first for odor control and that it clumps well which makes clean up a breeze....the second one because it gets my older kitty to use her litter pan!). I scoop all 3 litter boxes daily.

-When I have foster kittens, I use normally use Nature's Miracle or Swheet Scoop litter for safety reasons. (swheet scoop is my prefered of the two)
Neithor are the best on odor control, but I like the fact that if my foster babies try to ingest the litter, it won't harm them since it's mainly corn cob (For reference, I've tried regular chicken feed, but it isn't as good as the Swheet Scoop / Natures Miracle in my book, so I stick to that for my foster babies!) Chicken Feed is hard to come by since I live in a large city; the last bag I bought from a Tractor Supply store when I was visitng my oldest sister wound up having bugs in it, so I tossed it out. I'm a little leary of buying regular chicken feed after that (and it's not convient to drive soo far each time I need it), so I stick to what I can find on sale in the pet stores/etc and brands I trust.

As far as the WORST cat litters in my opinion go: Yesterday's News (pellet) takes the cake and not in a good way! It's a nightmare to attempt to scoop, and it has 0 odor control! In second place I'd put Feline Pine- it made me have an asthma attack because of the aweful smell (before my cats ever had a chance to use the littler pan!). In third place I would put Origional Fresh Step clay litter - hello high dust levels and crummy odor control!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have almost all the boxes with Dr elseys litter(senior or long haired) LOVE it-scooping is very easy as the litter sifts right through and so light.
A few boxes with carefresh small pet bedding. Good odor control but a bit messy as cats some out with the paper and play(yeah) with it. I love it cause with the amount of litter I use it makes garbage day easier with the carefresh and even dr elseys is only 8lbs a bag plus kitty "interest"

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried a few, and I find Swheat Scoop Multicat Formula (available at Petsmart in the 40lb bags with the green label) is my favorite.

The litter itself smells like wheat, as one would imagine, which is not as strong an odor as others like WBCL, and it has the best odor control I've tried so far.

Its low dust, safe even for kittens (and even recent declaws), and can be flushed down the toilet which is not only great for the environment that its biodegradable but convenient too.

filamgirl618

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've converted from using clay litter and the best I have to say is Nature's Miracle Odor Control Clumping Cat Litter and SWheat Scoop. I can't say anything really on their odor control alone because I also use Arm & Hammer's Deodorizer so that helps a lot but as far as clumping and such, it's awesome.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Don't overuse the baking soda. A little goes a long way, too much can cause burns on their feet and some health issues. Plus anything perfumed is bad. If you have to keep dumping that stuff in your litter may not be working for your cat as well as you hoped.

I'm now several days into using the safflower seeds and am a bit mystified by something. How can the safflower seeds that have zero odor control result in a litter box with no odor - even when one of them poops in it.
Does draining the urine away really make that much of a difference in poop smells?

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we use tidy cat scoopable. I use the one with a blue lid and has blue on the wrapper. My husband accidentally bought the package with a red lid and red on package tonight. I will see if that works as good. We like tidy cat, seems to clump and scoop good. It doesn't cause any odor, our home smells good even when she poops.