Cat Litter Recommendations

crazydyz8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I am new to owning cats and have a question on litter and litter boxes. I did read the litter box post and the best litter post. But I am still unsure. We bought a litter box that had a high side attachment. I have always been concerned about getting litter all over the floor and had hoped that the high sides would take care of this issue. Unfortunately, we have litter EVERYWHERE and its driving me insane. I even tried putting a bath towel under the littler box and that hasn't helped at all. I have been toying with the idea of getting the breeze system but am not sure if the cost is worth it. I just want something that is going to minimize the amount of litter spread around my house.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See the new thread on best litter boxes. I use a 12" tall Sterilite bin for a place that I don't want litter splashed about. However, I still get some out and vacuum there often.

If you can find a higher sided storage bin you could try that - after cutting out an entrance hole. I've heard of people even using the lids on bins prepared this way. But some cats won't use covered boxes, so you'd have to experiment by having old box, and any new at the same time. And enclosed boxes have to be scooped and cleaned very often as they hold moisture and smells more than open ones.

Robin

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a big Rubbermaid storage container that's about 17" high with Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra litter. The amount of litter I find outside the box is minimal.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
so, ?? are they tracking it out, or are they kicking it out when they jump out?

For tracking - along with an inexpensive (walmart $5.00 sink mat), I try to make an exit path - they have to walk through this maze-like path before they reach the rest of the room - along with the rug/mat - it's very helpful.

I don't like covering my litter pans, so I just put enough of a covering to prevent them from jumping out of the pan and throwing litter all over instead of exiting through the opening that I've cut.

I have made my own litter containers/pan using the 20 and 30 gal totes. I cut a hole in either the side, or the end - putting the hole high enough that the litter will be held in at a depth of 4 inches. (clear plastic containers are hard to cut)

Here's one that we have in our laundry room:

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use wood pellets. Was using the wood stove pellets but since its hard to get them in the spring/summer, I went to the very similar horse pellet bedding (can be used for small animal bedding). Its just about the same and you only get a few piece outside the box once in awhile (easy to just sweep around the pan).

However, you must gradually introduce the pellets into the regular litter. They won't know its litter if you just put the pellets in the box. It will take about 2 weeks to change over. Just keep adding in the pellets and mix with the regular litter till its all pellets.

And cheap too - 40 lb bag for about $6.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was using Feline Pine, which I liked. But then I got a coupon for World's Best Cat Litter and I like it better. Chester Cheetah has furry toes so he can get litter stuck in there easily, especially the clumping clay litter. I have found he tracks it less with the other kind.

I hope you find what works!

Good luck!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got way to many box options....
Have some carefresh bedding, carefresh and non scoop tidy cats, dr elseys senior, dr elseys senior and wood pellets from tractor supply(horse bedding too)

Also have straight clay scooping. Try to get bags light as possible as garbage day means all the boxes dumped night before and with this many boxes/cats easier for all.

I LOVE the pine mixed in to the dr elseys and cats seem to be taking to that real well(about half half and will most likely leave it as they are using it so well)

Keep in mind my cats are very easy to change as I mess with the litter often and they always have a box thats old litter for the slow to come around cats(from the start one has always been straight scooping clay tho the brand will vary)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have tracking mats in front of all litter boxes ( I have 3 for 2 cats) and it works great. I rarely find litter anywhere. You can find them at all pet stores and even Target carries them.

tub tub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw this thread and decided I had to post. Just recently I discovered the most "Amazing" cat litter. Maybe everyone already knows about this, but it's called Amazing Cat Litter. It comes in a bright purple bag. My sister who lives in Oregon had told me about this litter over two years ago but I couldn't find it anywhere. Recently, I was in my local Kroger when I noticed it had been added to the shelf. I decided to try it since my sister had such great things to say.

It is made from crystals...but it must be different from the other crystals I have tried. This one is much better. It took away 100% of the odor from my three cats. Also, my cats used to track the clay/clumping that I was using all over my house...now not even a speck.

My sister was right for once! This stuff is awesome.

I wanted to see if any other places carried it so I checked out the website. Looks like it's fairly limited...so check their website before going to get some.

http://www.amazingcatlitter.com/where-to-buy.html

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emil

what's a good litter for a kitten in potty training ?
You can use just about anything, but I would recommend against clay litter, as kittens can tend to ingest/inhale too much.

So stick with a nice soft organic litter, which is healthier for both you and kitty.

A popular one that I like is called Swheat Scoop, which as the name implies is made of wheat. It has natural enzymes to absorb odor which IMO is the best I've seen... err smelt (as long as kitty buries), not the best but acceptable clumping (have to leave it a couple minutes before they are really solid), smells great in and of itself, no harmful perfumes/clumping additives/dust to inhale (it has dust, but organic and quite low), and it lasts a long time, its biodegradable, flushable, safe for kittens and recently declawed cats, and doesn't contribute to strip mining operations w/ is an extra little bonus to feel good about. Petsmart has the best deals on the 40lb multicat (extra clumping, recommended) bags by me.

paragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm with Ducman too, I switched to Swheat Scoop recently because I found Feline Pine was too light, and my cat had a much easier time making a mess with it. I've never used clay litter before, but I've heard Swheat Scoop is similar to it in weight and texture. I also like that I can flush it.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to get several $1.00 off coupons from Swheat Scoop.

I've only purchased one bag - and I'm beginning to think that it produces a lot of dust.

World's Best Cat Litter - corn litter - still seems to be the best for us - especially for the low dust output which is little to none.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of trying Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter Ultra. It was recommended by Dr. Lisa of CatInfo.org and I loved the way it seemed to scoop so cleanly in the video on her website! (Link to the article here - the video is linked several times throughout but you have to dig for it.
Get it? DIG??
)

Unfortunately, I accidentally bought scented litter for the fuzzballs when I first went shopping. I was with a friend who said it was her favorite and didn't examine the label well enough. It doesn't seem to bother the kitties - but it sure does stink when mixed with urine & poo! Gross! Flowery poop...

Dr. Elsey's is unscented and available at Petsmart, so I think I'll pick some up soon.