Cat Licked Neuter Incision Open

DaBigWan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old highland fold (Pepper) was neutered eight days ago and the veterinarian put a cone on his head and said to keep it on till I come back for his checkup. I went to the checkup today (eight days later) and the veterinarian took off the cone and said that Pepper was doing good and everything was okay. I brought him home 2 hours ago and let him be free from his cone and run around. I noticed he's been licking his fur for about an hour (hasn't licked himself In a week so it made sense) and then I noticed he was licking his surgery area. When i looked at his scrotum, there were two bright red cuts open. There is no bleeding, smell, or puss but it does look like he licked open his incisions. He still tries to lick it every 20-30 minutes but I keep stopping him from doing so. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I've included an image as well showing the incisions he licked open.

Attachments

Ricker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he'll likely need to get re-sutured. That's what happened with my Bebe in July when she got spayed; licked and gnawed open her incision and back she went to go through that unpleasant experience all over again. Putting the cone on her was torture for both she and I. She was so depressed over it, she would stay still in a corner and not move for hours. When she did move, she'd get freaked out by this thing around her neck that kept following her so she'd back up frantically and run into the wall. I had to be very strong to keep it on her for 6 days. Had to be done or she would have likely have had to go in a third time.

At any rate, my cat's incision site looked similar to that of yours, although it's on different areas of the body, her's was about that long and that red and she definitely needed to get re-sutured. It can get infected if not treated right away so I'd be making arrangements with the vet ASAP.