Cat Lethargic After Vet Visit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have suggestions for high calorie things to give him? He seems to be eating more, and I'd like to take advantage of it to try to get his weight back up a bit.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kitten food, chicken baby food with no onion and no garlic as an additive, treats, kibble :)

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The baby food didn't work for him last time we tried it. At the moment kitten milk, other dairy products, and treats are the only things we can get him to eat. It's better than nothing, but his weight is so low it has to be having an effect on him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a thought, I was using beechnut baby food but my Big Guy has been flat refusing it lately. Maybe try a different brand? My goodness he's making it tough on you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, did you try Pedialyte? My apologies if this is duplicate info for you, but I've read there's a homemade recipe for it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone have suggestions for high calorie things to give him? He seems to be eating more, and I'd like to take advantage of it to try to get his weight back up a bit.
Get him something like Tomlyn's Nutra-cal for Cats. It's a high calorie gel that you can dab in his mouth or, if he'll let you, rub on his gums. You can also put it on his paws and he'll ingest it by licking it off. There are many similar products on the market with different flavors so you may have to try a couple before you find the one he'll eat. They're available at any pet store.

Paws crossed that he starts to bounce back.:crossfingers::crossfingers::redheartpump::redheartpump::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pedialyte? :eek3: I hadn't thought about that, is it the storebought stuff or does it need to be homemade? I'll try the gel, I'm willing to try almost anything at this point.

Maybe I've jinxed him. He hasn't eaten much at all ever since I posted that. :(

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor baby has taken a turn for the worse. :sniffle: Last night he suddenly developed the runs and is semi incontinent with it. He's not eating and isn't drinking as much as he needs to. I've given him a bowl of water and a bowl of the juice from a tuna can, and he occasionally takes little sips of them. The worst thing is that he's visibly uncomfortable. He's restless, and when I got home just now he was crying out so sadly and wouldn't calm down until I gave him a cuddle.

I don't want to let my Heisenberg go, but I know I'll have to soon. :bawling:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this. :bawling::hugs::hugs: Your description of Heisenberg crying out so sadly until you gave him a cuddle is heartbreaking. I'm glad you were there to give him the cuddles he wanted and to bring him comfort when he needed it. Poor little baby.:redheartpump: I want to reach through the screen and give him a gentle kiss on his head.

It sounds like you recognize that he's not going to be with you much longer. The best thing you can do at this point is to spoil him with all the attention he can handle and prepare yourself for when he is gone. :hugs::hugs::hugs: If he rebounds,:crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers::vibes::crossfingers: it is still time well spent.

When my deeply loved cats have entered the last stages of their lives, I've found that it helps me to keep a written and photographic diary of the time we have left together. It can be heartbreaking to go back and read it later so this isn't for everyone but I find that it helps me to reconnect and touch my absent cat's "being" once again. Keeping the diary also helps me stay calm and focused on my cats, to keep my grief controlled. They are able to pick up on your emotions so it's important to stay as tranquil as possible at this point. Enclose Heisenberg with your unconditional love for him. Just be there for him.

Were you able to get him any Nutra-cal? That really could help him feel more comfortable.

Again, I am just terribly sorry that he (and you) are going through this. Lymphoma is a terrible disease.

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he seems to be less uncomfortable. But he is still incontinent - he just now peed on the remote for our TV and killed it... :censored:

I've been showering him with love and cuddles, and it seems to be helping. Tomorrow we're going to the vet for the quality of life talk, hopefully we get good news!

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we're skipping Heisenberg's chemo this week and giving him a round of antibiotics. Next week we'll reassess him and see where things are. In a way I feel like I'm just kicking the can down the road, but I know it's not time to let him go yet. There's still a Heisenberg in there. :)

Also, can anyone please advise me on how to get the smell of pee out of a recliner with quite absorbent fabric? Heisenberg took a massive leak on the chair and it's driving my mom nuts.

sid5203

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear I've been reading up on your story and created an account to wish you luck, my cat judt had surgery for removing some teeth and is presenting similar symptoms he's laying next to me on my bed. ️

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fyi . . . this is an old thread and judging from Sylvia Grace's footer, Heisenberg passed away March 9, 2018.

Perhaps the thread should be closed?

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my crazy old man passed away 11 months ago today. :frown: I miss him like mad, but since then another black cat has joined the family. :) His name is Sommerfeld, and he's definitely taken the "crazy black cat" torch from Heisenberg and run with it!

I hope your kitty is doing better! Anesthesia can be rough on cats, but unless they're very sick/old or have an allergic reaction to the medication they tend to bounce back quite well. :D

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His name is Sommerfeld, and he's definitely taken the "crazy black cat" torch from Heisenberg and run with it!
You are awesome, bless your heart for coming back to this thread, and THANK YOU for loving black cats, and opening your heart and home to another :bigeyes: :blackcat: :blackcat2: :purr: