Cat Lethargic After Vet Visit

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I have a 14 year old cat named Heisenberg. Late last year he was diagnosed with lymphoma, and he is in his seventh week of a chemo/steroid regimen. Today he had an appointment to get blood work done and receive one of his chemo drugs by mouth. He seemed calm, but he resisted the medication and needed restraining.

We just got home, and Heisenberg seems a bit off. He's slightly shaky and quite indecisive about things like drinking water or kitten milk we've offered him. I curled him up on his heating pad by the light half an hour ago, and now he's just staring off into space.

He didn't get any sedation at the vet's office, but he's acting like he did. Is he just tired and coming down from an adrenaline rush, or should I be worried?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm late, have you had a chance to call the vet and tell them your concerns?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are usually a little stressed after a vet visit, being taken out of their usual environment, and being exposed to the smells of lots of other animals can be overwhelming for a cat.

Here’s an old thread about a similar situation where a cat wasn’t acting himself after going to the vet: My cat runs away from me after a vet visit

I would recommend monitoring him for now, and then calling the vet to check in if he doesn’t seem to have calmed down by tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something else I just thought of, are they able to adjust the steroid down a little bit? I'm not a vet but maybe that's a possibility. Sending huge amounts of hugs your way.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Heisenberg. (I love his name). abyeb abyeb makes a good point about the impact a vet visit can have on a kitty - they can get very stressed out and take a little while to calm down. I'd also consider the possibility that he's showing side-effects to the chemo med. Has he been treated with this particular medication at this particular dose before? I'd keep a close eye on him until you can call the vet in the morning. It might even be worth keeping track of the time when he exhibits unusual behavior.

Best of luck to you both. :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Heisen's never reacted this way to a vet visit before, so it completely caught me off guard. I honestly can't remember if he's received this medicine before, the poor guy's been given so many I can't keep them all straight. The steroid dose was dropped last week, but not again this week since the vet responsible for that decision is out of town.

He's still very tired, but slightly more alert. Right now he's snuggled up in mom's lap, so at least he's in loving hands. We got home at about the time the vet's office closed, so I didn't have a chance to call. If he hasn't perked up by tomorrow I will.

My family has a tradition of alternating cat names between Norse deities and dead German physicists. I have absolutely no idea where that came from, it's existed since before I was born. The first physicist name my parents used was Schrodinger, and Heisenberg was name number two.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe you could start a spreadsheet or something of his meds. The vet office will also have that info but my point is you need to know what's going on. Was that steroid med actually supposed to be given this week? You don't feel it necessary to call their 24 hour emergency number yet, but if he gets worse tonight, call their office number and their voicemail greeting should provide a 24 hour emergency number. Then, as soon as possible, get ahold of the vet who stopped the steroid and find out why they gave it this time and whether they were supposed to, maybe they were. Be very sure you talk to that specific vet. I wish it was otherwise but we are the ones who are the most vested in our own and our pets health and we need to keep on top of things as best we can. Hang in there!

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the steroid is to be given on an every other day schedule until I'm told otherwise. We keep track of what he's given at home, but we don't have records of what he's received at the vet's office. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be a 24 hour emergency number, their website doesn't mention it. If he gets worse I'll call to see if the message provides one. Thanks again!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family has a tradition of alternating cat names between Norse deities and dead German physicists. I have absolutely no idea where that came from, it's existed since before I was born. The first physicist name my parents used was Schrodinger, and Heisenberg was name number two.
Well, the tradition itself I love and think is just cooler than Steve McQueen. But, I gotta say, I would NOT want to be the cat named Schrodinger, lol. This is WHY.

As for your cat, steroids can have very common and very unpleasant side effects. If he's still a bit wonky in the morning, don't hesitate to reach out to your vet. You're an awesome custodian to him!

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully this Schrodinger lived a long, happy life. :) My parents put her to sleep when she was 18, if I remember right.

I hope that a side effect is all it is and he'll bounce back. Each vet visit is harder and harder on him, poor thing.

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a 26 week course, I think, so he's got a few months to go. :/

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Margd that graphic cracked me up.
I'm glad you liked it! It's always a good idea to take the cat's perspective into account. :biggrin:

It's a 26 week course, I think, so he's got a few months to go. :/
Fingers crossed that it's all worth it in the end. :crossfingers::crossfingers: How is Heisenberg today? I hope he's recovered. :sunshine:

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Schrodinger's cat picture didn't load yesterday so I just saw it. It made me smile. :)

Heisenberg is somewhat better. He seems less disoriented and confused and is moving better, but he still doesn't have as much energy as usual. This might be the new normal, terminal illnesses do tend to drag one down.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor boy. Give him a head rub from me, Thirteen and Atticus. Steroids can have very strange effects so just keep an eye on him ... As if you wouldn't. You sound like a incredibly bright custodian and he's awfully lucky to have you.

We're all pulling for him.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Poor boy. Give him a head rub from me, Thirteen and Atticus. Steroids can have very strange effects so just keep an eye on him ... As if you wouldn't. You sound like a incredibly bright custodian and he's awfully lucky to have you.

We're all pulling for him.
:yeah: Add Paul, Chula and me to the head rubbing contingent and please throw in a few scratches at the base of the tail! I'm glad to hear that Heisenberg is feeling a bit better although I think you're being realistic to expect lower energy levels at this point.

I know I'm not the only to want to see photos of Heisenberg so when you get a chance, it would be lovely if you posted a few! :camera::camera::camera::camera::camera:

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again! Sorry for the late reply, I got really busy all of a sudden.

Heisenberg seems a bit down. He's not as interested in his food as he usually is, he's not purring, and he seems to want to be alone more. :( I'm worried about him, again.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Heisen, from a few years ago. He's such a handsome cat!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to worry, thanks so much for the update. WE all are sending a tremendous amount of thoughts and prayers your way!

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update:

Heisenberg went back to the vet today, for another chemo drug. He had to be sedated for the IV catheter since he hates needles (can't blame him for that!). My little bag of bones was 6.9 pounds last week... but now he's somewhere between 6.3 and 6.4! Poor thing is so skinny there was maybe an inch between his ribs and his belly when he exhaled laying on his side. The vet thinks he had a bad reaction to the drug last week, and he seems to have pepped up with subcutaneous fluids. She said to put him back on the appetite stimulant he was on, and to call on Monday if he doesn't keep improving.