My cat runs away from me after a vet visit

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats didn't poop for three days straight and his stomach was bloated and hard. I got worried and got him to the vet and got a laxative pill. He took one with no problem and pooped that night. All seemed fine except he now runs away from me like a stranger, would not eat in front of me, hides in places when I walk into the room. He wasn't like this before. He never had problem taking pills, never freaked out so much after vet visits. In fact he was taken there just two weeks ago for an eye infection. He was fine after that visit. So what has changed? This time the visit :sigh:was so brief and painless.

He loves his food and would give me a paw for a treat. He used to roll around in front of me to get me rub his belly. So what changed? I feel so horrible. Does anyone have simliar experience? :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grrr Cat,

Thanks for your post. I live alone with two cats. He usually runs from strangers, but recently he had improved a lot, even the pet sitter could give him treats. He is 8 years old now, got him when he was 2 or so, with one other cat. For the last few years, he always jumped up to the table and asked for treats. I don't know. It's like he has lost his memory...

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would give it a couple of days and if he doesn't improve give your vet a call. He still might have something going on which could explain the behavior change.

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Grr Cat's advice.  As long as he's eating, drinking, and eliminating normally, I would give him a couple more days to chill out and get back to his usual self.  Who knows what triggered him this time around...  Cats have their reasons (that us lowly apes aren't bright enough to decipher 
).  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grrr Cat, the3rdnam

Thanks for your replies. I guess I feel bad when he hides behind the TV looking at me with large pupils, as if I was his enemy. It took me a year to get him to trust me thanks to his crave for a particular kind of treat. I hope he gets around soon. I will keep monitoring his eating. He didn't poop yesterday though. hmmm