Cat laying down flat like a pancake.. normal? Pictures

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Humphrey eats normally ( still picky though ), poops normally and is friendly. He basically has no behavioural issues. So why does he lay flat like so? Is this a normal way for cats to lie down? I'm always on the lookout for weird lying down poses because I know some poses indicate illness, do your cats lie down like him?
E19C9F7B-16BC-4634-BAB0-031F950E5A69.jpeg
23306FD5-812E-4737-A9DB-73B87CD82956.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I respect everyone's opinion that the pictures are normal, but personally I'd be concerned. The second pic definitely looks a little like "be glad I'm tired. When I wake up I kill you" ish. To be safe, appease your feline master now.

Its perfectly normal to wonder about these things though. Cats, even more so than human children, seem to regard all sorts of bizarre positions as normal. In general, if their limbs are not actually broken, thats a normal cat position. I've got some crazy sauce pictures of my human son sleeping in positions bizarre enough to make a cat jealous, but that was a relatively brief phase of his life whereas cats are very dedicated to their craft.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hek lies in positions very like that. Hek, however, is a furry little soccer ball, and looks for all the world like a baby seal in those positions. I think that the position allows maximum heating or cooling, depending on what the surface is, and where it is located.