Cat Keeps Meowing At Night To Be Let Out.

Whatarecatseven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have become incredibly frustrated. So please bare with me while I write this at 4 am using my phone. But to paint a clear picture you need some background informatiom. I have two lovely cats, one female and one male. The female one is 8 years old and has always been a bit of a problem. We picked both up on the streets around the time I was 14-15. We had dogs and while our dogs are not hostile they become very animated and it causes stress to all of us, therefore we usually keep seperate at night. Always have. The cats used to stay with my older sister, which is where I guess we went wrong.
The things is, we would always let them out and roam free because at heart they live outside and we see no need to deprive them of that. They would usually wait until we fed them and let them out in the morning and return at around 5-6 pm for dinner and then we would close the door. Its a fixed scheduel that used to work but I believe that when my female cat began staying with my sister, she would meow to be let out earlier.
Now she will meow at 4 am, 5 am, 6 am. I usually dont get up before 7:35 during the week, so it has become tiring getting up hours before just to let her out so she would shut up. Weirdly enough, my other cat is completely quiet.
I have tried a lot and Im growing increasingly furious at her. I love her, she can be sweet but she is also a diva.
If she doesnt get what she wants, she often will go eat, overeat, sit on top me while I sleep and throw up.
A reason why I dont keep the food bowl fully stocked, but other than that I ensure they got water and the litter box is clean, and its not like I dont let them out...At this point I just want her to scream at me to be let out at a later time.

Tl:dr - My 8 year old female cat wont stop crying to be let out at unreasonable times despite having a fixed daily routine which would ensure her being let out just a couple of hours after she assults my ear drums ( which is usually at 4 am to 6 am )

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try providing a litter tray indoors, a middle aged lady should not have to cross her legs waiting to be let out!

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She knows you will cave, so she keeps it up. Give them a measured amount of food before you go to bed; not enough that there is still food in the early morning so that she can vomit on you. Since you let them into your bedroom, put ear things in your ears so you can't hear the cat. Ignore until after you've taken your shower for the morning. You just have to retrain. I housesit for my sister once a year and even though SHE lets her cats out daily, I never do. Only one whines about it, and I just pick him up from hanging in front of the door and set him in his cat bed repeatedly. He stops after a day or so because I'm not the soft touch. They aren't allowed in the bedroom, so they lay in front of the bedroom door in the morning waiting for her/me.

It's not easy. But, you are the cat mom and need to take charge.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Sorry it was 4 AM frustration that brought you here. :ohwell:

Do you have a litter box in the house? If not, like epona epona suggested, I would start with that. At least you'd know she didn't *have* to go outside.

If she does have indoor facilities, then I think she is just training you to be on her schedule, and you need to break the habit.

Here's an article that might be helpful:
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night?