Cat Just Diagnosed With Lymphoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are at vet now. They just took him back he is getting fluids, prednisone low dose bc of heart murmur and antibiotics. I decided that if none of this works it just might be time. Biopsy requires hospital stay and surgery. Just dont have those kind of finances but if l knew for sure it was lymphoma then it be a lot easier to make the decision. Wish us luck and say prayets its just a g.i issue or bug.
My cat had a sample taken with a needle. An endoscopy also works , I wonder why they are saying she needs surgery for a biopsy, surgery is too much for an ill cat to handle .

A food recommendation is to put organic chicken thighs , a large pack, 1/3 cup of washed rice and some peas with a little water in a slow cooker for 5 hrs . You can mash it up and sprinkle the cheap kraft parmasean on it as it's most salty. I mix in organic olive oil because there are many fake olive oils out there and only the real kind has anti inflammatory properties in it, it may also help with his stool issue. My cat ate a cup of this yesterday and no #2 at all which is very concerning . Today he had a tablespoon and licked some cheese sprinkles and went back to the closet . Try this food recipe , your cat will probably eat it.

I'm so sorry about your cat. I wish I could help all our kitties .

I have a female and she is very clingy and making it hard for the ill cat to get close to me . Also a young foster who admires and loves him like I've never seen. He follows him everywhere and tried to squeeze into the area of the closet to join his friend . They're confused but know .

The medications and fluids will help . My cat ate every time he received hydration .

You will make the best decision for him. There is a chsnce it's inflammatory bowel disease and metronidazole works wonders . Also mirtazapine stimulates appetite .

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I am thankful that chemo is not a option for Marley. While I would do anything to save her, cat chemo is very expensive, very invasive, with constant medication and blood work and vet visits. And when it does work, remission is not long lasting, sometimes a year, and during that year, how comfortable was your cat really? Its so hard to let go, and everyone should follow their own heart with how to go about, be that chemo or home on meds to live out their last days if they can. Good luck!
My cat is advanced large cell and they said chemo is an option but maybe they're not being honest , it's NYC , they'll kill you for a quarter . I hope he actually has a chance

I checked the yahoo forum and one guy said his cat lived 7 years with large cell but that is either a rare occurrence or someone promoting chemo, happens on these boards , another guy tried to sell me a book.

You are right that it seems like torture to just push them through hard drugs . Most the stories read like a nightmare , it's a stream of their cat's suffering and I said I would never do that but here I am taking him to chemo tomorrow . I want to give him a chance to get better , if he gets quality of life from it for a year that would be amazing . If he is going to be ill every single day and be tortured by drugs and strangers and see me as his abuser for forcing him here and there , then I don't want to do that

Someone is coming to your home ? You must live in a nice city . I'm so sorry . I'm hurt for you and your Marley.

You seem to have a good outlook on everything. I'm hysterical . I never loved anyone like my cats, I always put my hem first . And they've always been great friends . If I lie down for a second all 3 magnitize to me . I just wish i did more for him.

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your right. And as much as l.do not want to.let him go l cannot financially keep.going.

So we are home. He is pissed but he did start to.nibble on food so the stimulant must be working. Question becomes how long does it work for. I was wromg he did not get prednisone. I thought she said that over the phone but he got an antibiotic, anti nausea, sub q fluids, food stimulant. Another $95 later

Btw he lost a lot of weight so he has this excess skin hanging sround his arms well l.guess cause they gave him.fluids that pocket of fluid has caused a huge bubble on his arm full of.liquid. l noticed it yesterday after he got it but wasnt as bad.

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he recieved 15mg of mirtzapine and l have those other M pills here from my other cat from a month ago when she had diarrhea and vomiting.
He recieved convenia cat and cerenia injection too w fluids. Hoping for the best.
Also how long did it take for your cat to start eating. We have been home an hr and l put dry wet and treats by him and hasnt touched it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitoneil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is advanced large cell and they said chemo is an option but maybe they're not being honest , it's NYC , they'll kill you for a quarter . I hope he actually has a chance

I checked the yahoo forum and one guy said his cat lived 7 years with large cell but that is either a rare occurrence or someone promoting chemo, happens on these boards , another guy tried to sell me a book.

You are right that it seems like torture to just push them through hard drugs . Most the stories read like a nightmare , it's a stream of their cat's suffering and I said I would never do that but here I am taking him to chemo tomorrow . I want to give him a chance to get better , if he gets quality of life from it for a year that would be amazing . If he is going to be ill every single day and be tortured by drugs and strangers and see me as his abuser for forcing him here and there , then I don't want to do that

Someone is coming to your home ? You must live in a nice city . I'm so sorry . I'm hurt for you and your Marley.

You seem to have a good outlook on everything. I'm hysterical . I never loved anyone like my cats, I always put my hem first . And they've always been great friends . If I lie down for a second all 3 magnitize to me . I just wish i did more for him.
I was a mess 12 days ago when this started, and completely devestated with her dx. She stayed at the vets for 5 days on IV fluids and anitbiotics. Her last day there, last wed after her ultrasound, our vet told us the findings, which was advanced lymphoma spread throughout. The vet was honest and said while she had made a remarkable recovery, she was too advanced for chemo, it would not help, only make her feel worse. We've had all week with her, giving us time to love her as much as we can and having the time to come to terms with what is happening tomorrow.

I understand, Marley is our everything. She has been by my side thru hard times, my dad dying, my recovery after a hospital stay I almost didn't come home from, my moms brain surgery... everything. She's been with me my whole adult life, I don't know what I'll do without her. And my poor boyfriend, who loves her as much as I do...he's so sad it breaks my heart more. We have been very fortunate to have Marley able to come home to relax. There have been a few struggles, forcing pills on cats is no fun, but luckily, pain has not seemed to be a issue with her. She's been eating, lounging, using her box (not a lot) but she obviously does not feel good. yesterday was her first bad day, too late to call vet, and today has been better, but, we are always going to think she has just one more day. It's actually a miracle something like a home vet is available where I live, I thought for sure one wouldn't exist in my small town. You might call around your town, you never know. I worst fear was having to put her thru a car ride.

And I actually didn't read to much on chemo, I went with my vets instincts on her, and didn't want to talk myself into doing it for her by reading up on it. But, if Marley could get a good healthy year out of it, I might of made a different decision. It's so hard to say goodbye.
whatever you decide, good luck!

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the mirtazapine works well. I was told to give half a tablet every 3 days , but stopped because his esophogus hurt too much.

What are the M pills , the metro? Dosing is very tricky with these very sick cats . Not sure how many mg the ones you have are but don't give him anything not prescribed for him of course . I was to give a quarter pill twice daily then got a suspension to make it easier on him

My cat got the same , antibiotic , fluids , mirtazapine , cerenia, $500 each time . That's NYC and they were not emergency appointments.

The bill yesterday was $700 and today they told me they would repeat the ultrasound because yesterday, the $200 ultrasound was a "partial ". So the full is $550. The oncologist fee $250 and then the chemo is going to be staggering here . I don't have this type of money , just running through what I saved for years to get surgey myself. I wish I took myself and the cats to Norway. People shouldn't have to languish , animals shouldn't have to languish and diagnosing would have come much earlier for all our cats if they practiced based on medical necessity .

I'm upset because everyone has to be terrorized by these outrageous bills and has to weigh life by what they have in their pockets. It has a tremendous impact on how quickly people move on these things , how medicine is practiced and survival outcome . Drs recommend as much as they think they can get. Luckily my cat has an amazing vet and $500 is the discount NYC price but he always gives the truth and what is necessary .

The big expensive hospital here is a total dump, looks like a run down psych ward from the 30s and touted as a top animal hospital in the country . The front desk peoole know you're desperate and ask "what do you want ?" When you approach the counter . They use students . It's a mess .

I wish I took him to jersey . But with frequent visits , he needs to be close

Sorry I'm droning on , I'm crushed , exhausted and wish it were not true

kitoneil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he recieved 15mg of mirtzapine and l have those other M pills here from my other cat from a month ago when she had diarrhea and vomiting.
He recieved convenia cat and cerenia injection too w fluids. Hoping for the best.
Also how long did it take for your cat to start eating. We have been home an hr and l put dry wet and treats by him and hasnt touched it.
We brought her home in the evening, she didn't eat until the next morning. No dry food, mostly wet treats and fancy feast with gravy. She wouldn't eat her normal wet food. She was on the same mitzipine (however you spell it) half pill every 3 days.

kitoneil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the mirtazapine works well. I was told to give half a tablet every 3 days , but stopped because his esophogus hurt too much.

What are the M pills , the metro? Dosing is very tricky with these very sick cats . Not sure how many mg the ones you have are but don't give him anything not prescribed for him of course . I was to give a quarter pill twice daily then got a suspension to make it easier on him

My cat got the same , antibiotic , fluids , mirtazapine , cerenia, $500 each time . That's NYC and they were not emergency appointments.

The bill yesterday was $700 and today they told me they would repeat the ultrasound because yesterday, the $200 ultrasound was a "partial ". So the full is $550. The oncologist fee $250 and then the chemo is going to be staggering here . I don't have this type of money , just running through what I saved for years to get surgey myself. I wish I took myself and the cats to Norway. People shouldn't have to languish , animals shouldn't have to languish and diagnosing would have come much earlier for all our cats if they practiced based on medical necessity .

I'm upset because everyone has to be terrorized by these outrageous bills and has to weigh life by what they have in their pockets. It has a tremendous impact on how quickly people move on these things , how medicine is practiced and survival outcome . Drs recommend as much as they think they can get. Luckily my cat has an amazing vet and $500 is the discount NYC price but he always gives the truth and what is necessary .

The big expensive hospital here is a total dump, looks like a run down psych ward from the 30s and touted as a top animal hospital in the country . The front desk peoole know you're desperate and ask "what do you want ?" When you approach the counter . They use students . It's a mess .

I wish I took him to jersey . But with frequent visits , he needs to be close

Sorry I'm droning on , I'm crushed , exhausted and wish it were not true
Don't be sorry, I was the same a week ago, that's why I joined this forum. And it has been helpful, in more ways then the information I originally asking for. i don't know the other m med, she came home on prednisone and the app. Atom.

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we are all doing our best maybe more then most. Gonna try to stay positive. I tend to be a debbie downer but l think l am just realistic.

kitoneil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't be sorry, I was the same a week ago, that's why I joined this forum. And it has been helpful, in more ways then the information I originally asking for. i don't know the other m med, she came home on prednisone and the app. Atom.
I also stopped her prednisone and her last app stimulates was yesterday morning. We didn't give it to her last night, or today. She hates it, and I just don't think she needs the stress of getting them down anymore. She will leave us peacefully tomorrow, today, this whole week has been about her only, and we have been able to have one of us at her side every minute. I've even been camping in the living room on the floor at night so she isn't alone. I hope others get the chance we have had with Marley. I'd still be a absolute mess otherwise

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart goes with all of you that are dealing with lymphoma. I totally understand your feelings and I wished I had known about this website a few months ago when I was going through all of this with Kitty, it is painful. Each one of you will make the right decision based on your personal feelings and cat behavior(s). There is no wrong choice, don't blame yourselves, keep those good memories flowing, keep the positives up, you still have them in your arms.

Also, lymphoma is very difficult to diagnose, the PARR test not always work, blood analyses will look normal (ours did), ultrasound only detects if there is a large tumor or mass, x-rays to me are useless in this case too. By the time this is diagnosed it is usually in an advanced state, cats are really smart hiding it from us. You know your cat, you know his/her behavior, you can tell when they are eating or when they are not, you are the best doctor for them.

And yes, I totally agree with you BestBabyC, there is a large incidence of cancer (specially lymphoma) in cats, food has to be the cause, too much crap these days in commercial food, even the ones they claim to be natural. If there was something I could change, it would have been to feed my Kitty raw food all the time.

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We brought her home in the evening, she didn't eat until the next morning. No dry food, mostly wet treats and fancy feast with gravy. She wouldn't eat her normal wet food. She was on the same mitzipine (however you spell it) half pill every 3 days.
I'm so sorry about both your parents and your own health struggles . It's good you had Marley through it all , you were there for her too. And it's good your boyfriend and you have all these memories together with Marley , that won't change.

I think whatever gives them the strongest appeal is great . An aroma may perk their interest . My cat doesn't want cold food so I made a second crock pot and he just ate a little warm chicken

Glad your kitty ate the fancy feast . I noticed the 2 times I gave my cat dry , he vomitted , these foods are not good but I bought a bag because whatever he would accept was great . He just went back in the closet .

He starts chemo tomorrow . I'm terrified for him. I realized I've taken none of my own medicine and no food , I need to pull it together a little so I can be alert tomorrow to ask all the right questions

I have not got a sense of what his wishes are yet . I know he is suffering and has been fighting a lot longer than anyone knew, I felt something was wrong for the past 9 months and was called crazy by my bf and he would convince me I was over reacting . I would say he looks so thin early August and he would say no, look! Turns out he went from 9.3lbs to 7.9lbs. When you're very ill yourself it takes a toll, I used to be more head strong . But here we are now and in May everythybv was normal with the ultrasound and labs but I should have got an endoscopy and biopsies . He was still his normal weight and eating and running . Had i started chemo then, it would all be different , he could get that year. But again once the chemo is introduced , what kind of life is it ?

Round and round

I'll be thinking of you 3 tomorrow . I'm glad you have found some peace with your decision and that you can do this at home . Sending kisses to Marley

kitoneil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about both your parents and your own health struggles . It's good you had Marley through it all , you were there for her too. And it's good your boyfriend and you have all these memories together with Marley , that won't change.

I think whatever gives them the strongest appeal is great . An aroma may perk their interest . My cat doesn't want cold food so I made a second crock pot and he just ate a little warm chicken

Glad your kitty ate the fancy feast . I noticed the 2 times I gave my cat dry , he vomitted , these foods are not good but I bought a bag because whatever he would accept was great . He just went back in the closet .

He starts chemo tomorrow . I'm terrified for him. I realized I've taken none of my own medicine and no food , I need to pull it together a little so I can be alert tomorrow to ask all the right questions

I have not got a sense of what his wishes are yet . I know he is suffering and has been fighting a lot longer than anyone knew, I felt something was wrong for the past 9 months and was called crazy by my bf and he would convince me I was over reacting . I would say he looks so thin early August and he would say no, look! Turns out he went from 9.3lbs to 7.9lbs. When you're very ill yourself it takes a toll, I used to be more head strong . But here we are now and in May everythybv was normal with the ultrasound and labs but I should have got an endoscopy and biopsies . He was still his normal weight and eating and running . Had i started chemo then, it would all be different , he could get that year. But again once the chemo is introduced , what kind of life is it ?

Round and round

I'll be thinking of you 3 tomorrow . I'm glad you have found some peace with your decision and that you can do this at home . Sending kisses to Marley
Yes, whatever he will eat. And offer it as fresh as you can, even just him licking the gravy will help to hydrate him.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So heart-breaking. For me, basic function is something I watched for with my two sibling cats who had some sort of cancer and passed last summer. Charlie grew to have trouble swallowing. It was very distressing because I imagined it was distressing for her. Etta had labored breathing at the end. Those two things were the signs for me that it was time. In retrospect, I should have simply let Charlie go when she was first shown to have a lot of cancer throughout her abdomen....but I promised I would bring her home from the vet that day and didn't want to break the promise.

I understand completely not wanting to do it too soon when they seem comfortable and relatively normal, but it does change rather dramatically and quickly so please also don't worry about doing it too soon. It's not you giving up on your friend before the right time, but saving your friend frightening developments for the cat that affect basic functions.

Again, i'm so sorry that this is your sweetie's time.

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guilt is wondering if stress put him over the edge.
We got a kitten in early July and same week l took him for his shots. I wonder if it was a system over load. I mean look hoe bad our bodies react to stress. Not saying this all cause lymphoma just saying cancer cells lay dormamt until stressful situations cause it to appear.
But l do not want to beat myself up about it.
I know my cat. If it is lymphoma he wont survive it. He is just thst kind of cat thats does not cooperate. He hates food in general. Maybe only dry food for 9 yrs hurt him (he never cared for the wet that much).
Also l am at my limit financially. We still would need a biopsy, hospital stay, maybe endoscopy, then if its confirmed possible chemo. I love him and will miss him so very much but l cannot handle watching him become more distant bc of the stress he is under.
I want to be positive but all signs are pointing to cancer.

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also people keep.talking food. My aunt and uncle fed their maine coon 9 lives most of his life. Worst food ever. He lived til 17.

My friend fed her cat commercial brand and their cat lived to like 16. Some cats can eat the best brand and die early.

I think just like humans it all depends on cats immune system. Also, depends on genetics. My moms in picture perfect health but in May had a heart attack thanks to family history. Diseases dont discriminate.

Some cats have weaker ones that l think helps bring on autoimmune disesses, cancer etc.
So l dont think anyone should beat themselves up about it.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I still need to read the last page of posts-but wanted to tell you for constipation use canned pumpkin. teaspoon a day. some cats lick it. some hate it. one of mine loves it. gets it daily. the other cat HATES it so I put some on finger and smear it on roof of her mouth-she poos 12-24 hours later. luckily for her I only need to give her 1/2 teaspoon. each cat is different. it also helps diarrhea.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am so sorry you all are going through this. I too am on the lymphoma group and know Kelly. Her lancelot is a cancer survivor. large cell. But it IS expensive. We all have to decide what to do. NOT all cats respond well to doctors and poked at. She said he was a hell cat at the vets but as time went on he became one of the best clients and behaved. It's hard to tell. One thing I will say- treating at home for the day before, day of and 2 days after chemo with: fluids/cenernia or Zofran made a big difference. The fluids because we all know to get well we have to up the fluids. The ONLY caution I think of is in cardiac cats-we have to do a reduced amount of fluids but still daily for 4 days.
And yes there's two types of lymphoma. The best one to get is small because its slow growing and meds are at home. Large cell is more complicated. With the different medications they IV into the cat can help right away. From reading since 2012 on there it looks like large cell is usually responsive right away and most people can tell in the first 2 weeks if the tumors shrink.

I lost a cat in 2012 to bone cancer. I joined that group then. Learned so much. Lost another cat last summer to large cell lymphoma that was advanced by the time we found it. I went to a really good vet that believes in chemo and even he didn't recommend treatment. It is very heart breaking. She got sick FAST. like weeks. she was 17.5 so I just chalked it up to old age-we were not aggressive with treatment because she was a hell cat. You weren't going to pill her. Even the vet needed 2 people to hold her down. So all the meds we did were injection and sub fluids. It kept her comfortable for the month of July. There is no wrong answer.

Personally I wouldn't want to go through treatments myself so I don't want to treat my cats BUT things change. It's a very personal choice and one we each have to make. No one should be making anyone feel guilty for our choices. Just do the best we can. And we are. We are here offering support to one another and tips and tricks to get them medicated and fed. That's the best we can do. They know we love them. That's all the matters.

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank u. I will try that w the pumpkin.
At this point things are looking bleak. Chance did not eat anything over night nor this morning. He turns his head or tries to move away. I just dont know how much longer he can go without food. Today its been a week for sure since eating or pooping (maybe longer l just dont pay attention to their habits). He is wasting away and l am emotionally, physically and financially drained. I know l should not force feed him but maybe l should. I just dont know what to do. At this point what can it hurt other then make him more mad. Spent all morning crying. Was an hour late for work. My stomach hurts, my head hurts, my mind hurts and my sleep is zilch.
I think if things dont change by sat l am going to put him down. No point in watching him go downhill. I dont think l can afford a biopsy. You must remember l have over $1000 in vdt bills from my other cat bit at least with her we got a diagnosis quickly.
I am just trying to prepare myself. I start thinking about everything l am going to miss about him then start crying. He just turned 9. He is so young. Its just not fair. I have never had a cat live past age 10. Chloe is almost 11 but her times nearing too.
Sorry now l am just venting. I do a lot of praying too and it always worked w Chloe but its not with Chance.

Last edited:

kitoneil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our sweet Marley took her last breath at home, in mine and my boyfriends arms today just after 12:30. We had a wonderful week with her, showered her with all the love we have, and she now sleeps next to my besties kitty Melvin, in the shade under a tree, next to a little creek❤
Thank you all for the feedback, ideas, and tricks. But mostly, thank you for the genuine love and support, joining this forum helped me cope with what was happening to our beloved Marley.
I wish you all the best of luck with you furry loved ones, love them as hard as you can, they are so precious.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.