Cat itching neck and gead a lot?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! A lot of you know Morton. I'll sum this up super short: august he had dka, sepsis and pancreatitis and then also tested positive for a mycoplasma parasite. When he got back from the icu after about 11 days total in there he itches constantly. The itching has gotten a lot better I'm sure just time and healing and he also is being seen by a licensed Chinese herbal medicine vet and he is on a couple of supplements one (teapill) is proven to increase hydration and coat health in rats. He itches his neck a lot and the top of his head. Not all day or anything mainly when he is running around hyper. He has no scabs or anything. No flea dirt (I have a flea comb and work with cats I know when a cat has fleas) but it just concerns me.

With the mycoplasma before it was treated the lymphnodes in his neck were like large grapes and they were hot to the touch and he was constantly scratching them. The lymphnodes havent been raised for weeks now and he is doing well no more anemia from the parasite either and he stopped eating litter etc just the itching concerns me. He is on so many supplements and stuff and none which are causing it (I added one in at a time and waited a while before adding another). I just dont know what to do for him to increase moisture or any supplement I don't know about. When he came home from the icu he itched EVERYWHERE. I'm tempted to treat him for fleas just as a precaution even though I havent found any... it's just frustrating

I think something useful to asd would be he has never had hair grow (grew up on steroids for his ITP) he got shaved a year ago for a surgery scare turned out he didnt need it but his hair is still very short where it was shaved but ever since august where he was forced to stop all immunosuppressants to have a chance at beating his infections his hair has grown rapidly. he got his whole neck shaved in august too for all the central lines he was hooked to etc and that hair is growing back too. I was wondering at first maybe he is just going through a much needed growth with his coat health. He actually sheds now like a longhair should. Not excessively but since he came back from the icu and no more immunosuppressive drugs his coat starts shedding and changing because before even at almost 2 years old he had a silky kitten coat probably because it was stunted by the immunosuppressive drugs. So maybe his coat and body are just going through changes now trying to balance out? He is still on about 1mg of pred but I am trying to get him completely off of it this month

Last edited by a moderator:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know it is shedding season, so it might be about that indeed. My Hima does that itching on neck and and top of head when she gets allergic, when she has more liquid in her mouth (from oversalivation or acid reflux kind of thing, we are not sure) but when it is this she also licks her lips more than usual and/or overgrooms herself.

With her I'm not very confident but seemingly when it's an allergic reaction there is scratching herself AND overgrooming all over. When it's a digestive issue or fleas, there is overgrooming her belly area but not so much neck scratching. If it's anything about stress or oversalivation (like due to dental issues for example) there is more overgrooming but also periods of acting totally normal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Often neck and head itching IS a sign of food allergies :sigh:. Have you phoned eiher your regular Vet or your Holistic Vet about what is happening right now? I would.

Because of his health issues, I'm not sure I would treat him for fleas arbitrarily due to possible side effects. If he HAD them, that would be one thing, but since there are no signs of them, if it were me, I'd wait.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what type of litter are you using? is it scented? my guy had scabs all over from scratching and then when I changed to unscented litter they went away. Some cats are very sensitive to perfumes

Your poor little little man has been through a lot, I hope he feels better soon

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd recommend seeing a vet dermatologist (or at least your regular vet) to have surface- and deep- skin scrapings done to look for the possibility of demodex mites. I say this because your cat was/is immunosuppressed (or has been for a lot of his life so far, with his steroid use early on and with some diseases like pancreatitis). Do these skin scrapes around the areas on his head and neck where he is scratching a lot, and behind (and in) in ears too. My kitty has been on low dose Pred for her asthma for about three years, plus for 2+ of those years she also was given fluticasone w/ an inhaler (the latter we've since discontinued). She began scratching some areas along her jawline and neck and ears, on top of head, until she started to lose hair and get this weird scabby lesion. We got her tested for a variety of things... turns out it was a big population increase of demodex cati mites on her because of long-term fluticasone and steroid use (immunosuppression). If your kitty has a similar experience going on, your vet and you can decide how to treat it (we are using Bravecto topical with success).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just seeing these. I use the same unscented low dust litter since he was little. And he is on the same food his whole life. He mainly itches when his blood is pumping like when hes running around being hyper he will stop to itch his neck. He has an appointment with his holistic vet next week and he is doing great but that's one thing I am bringing up. I'm worried his lymph node issues will pop up again he was itching the crap out if those and they were so hot to the touch. He is just on one mg of pred and on herbal medicines none causing him to itch more