Cat is sneezing and acting sick, how concerned should I be?

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Naom started sneezing pretty often throughout the day on Friday 11/4. I didn't think too much of it, until he seemed to get sicker on Saturday. His eyes began to be a little watery, and he started acting out of the ordinary. He is usually really loud all day, yelling at us for attention, but now he is quiet. he also moves around slowly, and is sleeping more. Thankfully he is eating as normal, and I see him drinking normally as well. He is not panting or breathing through his mouth, I know that is a really concerning symptom so I have been checking throughout the day. I called the vet today to set up an appointment since he hasn't gotten better over the weekend. The soonest appointment they had was this Thursday. Based on his symptoms, how worried should I be, and can I wait until this Thursday to get him seen? I also called a vet we have seen before that isn't our main vet, and they were booked for 3 weeks. Should I try calling more vets to see if I can get in sooner?
I have 2 other cats, and unfortunately due to my housing situation I am not able to keep Naom in a separate room from them. I am worried that it could be something contagious. The other cats haven't started showing any symptoms though, and I try my best to keep them separate when I am home. I can tell Naom isn't feeling well because he has been so cuddly, and sleeps on my bed for hours during the day.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He most likely has the feline herpes virus (NOT transferrable to human) it is the common cold in cats. As long as he is eating and drinking, he will get through this. If any discharge he has from nose or eyes turns cloudy then it has turned into a secondary bacterial infection and he will need an antibiotic. Really, as long as he is eating and drinking he should be good. Depending on how strong your other cat's immune systems are, they may get sick too. I have had many that live together not get sick too. My cats used to get this at least once a year. Since I have started them on DMG, an immune system supplement, ( online on Walmart, Amazon, etc.) they have NOT gotten these symptoms for over three years. You might research it. If his appetite goes down, get some lickable treats to tempt him, I use delectable Lickables in the stew flavors for this and for giving meds.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C ChunkyNaomBaby unless the discharge is green (and significant) I wouldn't worry about waiting till Thursday.

Clear discharge from nose is likely a virus and there won't be much a vet can do.

If discharge from nose becomes bloody go to emergency :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for the replies. He is still pretty sick, and his breathing got worse over the past few days so I am still taking him to the vet tomorrow to get him checked out to make sure it is just a virus. I thought my other two cats were not going to catch it from him since they were fine for the first 5 days of him being sick, but unfortunately when I came home from work today they were both sniffling a bit and sneezing. Hopefully whatever the vet tells me to do to help Naom I can just apply to them as well, I don't have a lot of money for vet visits for all of them. I hoping that it is just a virus. Also, di and bob di and bob do you have a link for the immune supplement you use?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I am computer illiterate. But I get it on Amazon or Walmart online, it is VetriScience DMG supplement and works much better than L-Lysine which I had heard works but didn't. I just type in Vetriscience DMG for cats. I get the liquid, 3.85 oz size and put it in a divided pack of Delectable Lickables (stew flavors) for my 3 cats. It lasts a long time. I give it every day, now once a day, to prevent any virus.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C ChunkyNaomBaby It happens that they catch it! Yes, you can mention that your other cats are sneezing too and the vet will likely let you know what applies.

Good luck! Lots of fluids and easy to digest food if you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s an update, I brought him to the vet and they confirmed that it is just an upper respiratory infection. They offered a respiratory panel to see what is causing the infection, but that cost more than 300 dollars so I declined it. They gave him some oral antibiotics to take at home (Doxycycline) , and an antibiotic gel for the eyes. The Doxy is in liquid form, and I had such a hard time getting it in him last night because of the horrible taste. The other two cats are slowly getting sicker, but all of them are still eating and drinking. I bought the DMG supplement, and I wanted to ask if I can give it to them now while they are sick? All of the cats are really congested as well, and I would appreciate any tips on how to help them with that.

smbsocal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going through the same thing with a new kitten we just got from the shelter.

In addition to the medicine we got from the vet we are giving ALL of the cats including the sick one L-Lysine and DMG. I am also waiting on HomeoPet Feline Nose Relief Natural Pet Medicine, Nasal and Sinus-Tract Support for Cats of All Ages from Amazon to add to the list as well. I haven't noticed any negative effect from the supplements.