Cat is picky today

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since she has liver enzymes up, my cat decided to be picky, probably tired of same cat food. She she eating wet friskies chicken liver. Will that make it damage worse .

I worry about her health 😭

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats good. Well if she wants it, then she will have it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Chiming in late - but did the vet give you any possibilities as to why liver enzymes are up? Any other blood work elements 'out of range' that could help paint a broader picture for the elevation?

Bottom line regardless, a specific food is probably not going to cause a problem unto itself anyway. And, as Furballsmom Furballsmom said keeping a cat eating is probably the most important factor overall.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He thinks that it could be the meds the er gave me. But my cat seeks healthy it seems. No more uti infection too. But she is getting older and was told her immune system gets weak when being older

Hi. Chiming in late - but did the vet give you any possibilities as to why liver enzymes are up? Any other blood work elements 'out of range' that could help paint a broader picture for the elevation?

Bottom line regardless, a specific food is probably not going to cause a problem unto itself anyway. And, as Furballsmom Furballsmom said keeping a cat eating is probably the most important factor overall.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the meds were antibiotics for the UTI, most all antibiotics can really turn off a cat to food, they all seem to upset their stomachs - and, yes that could affect liver enzymes, to a degree. You could also look up on the internet what the meds are and see if there are any issues with elevated liver enzymes. If so, they should come back down the further away you get from the finish of the meds.

Tbh, as a standard rule of thumb, I am bit miffed by vets wanting to suggest things like elevated liver enzymes are somehow related to an older cat's weakened immune system. As sure, as I say this, I will jinx Feeby, but at 17+ yo with hyperthyroidism and CKD, her liver enzyme readings are good, as they have been even when she has been on a few antibiotics.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess some antibiotics effect a cat differently.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was concern of that liver of that thing starts with h. When talking to the vet I worried , but my cat is eating well so no need for feeding tube. I'm pretty sure that was the first thing I said.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I can't tell if she's picky or not. She seems fine no frequent going to the litter. But she isn't eating her food much. She ate treats but her food she will lick a bit. I worry cause of her elevated liver. Should I syringe her? I don't want her to starve her self. I tried her other cans but she didn't want it. She sti eats her chicken but only a bit them usual.

I am worried

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she still on antibiotics, or been off of them only for a day or so? I think I may have said before antibiotics can really upset a cat's stomach, and it might take a few days or so to get her stomach back to normal.

Cats that aren't feeling their best tend to eat treats more than their own food. They also seem to like baby food meat, so you could try that as well (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut). The other thing to try is one of the recovery foods (Hill's or Royal Canin) and most vets carry one or both in their offices. It is loaded with nutrition and calories, and most cats like it as well.

If she would take well to syringe feeding you can try that, but it has to be very little amounts at a time, numerous times a day. Are you familiar with syringe feeding? You can do that with the baby food meat or the recovery foods. But you need to know some basics about doing so if you don't already. There are several guides/tips/videos on the internet - here is just one:
How To Syringe Feed a Cat | Dr. Sandra Truli Springer, Holistic Vet House Call Services (allpetcareanimalhospital.com)

You said she was eating pretty well before, so I don't think it is time to worry yet, especially if she is eating some food.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No she is done with her antibiotics. So I don't know what's wrong. Hopefully my vet will be available this week

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then, try the baby food meat if you can get it. Also, your vet doesn't have to be around or see you for you to go to their office and ask for a couple of cans of the recovery food - I am pretty sure they will willingly sell it you without question.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got 3 cabs she didn't like it. But probably cause she had upset stomach so I'll see if she will take it again