Cat is getting lazier - is this normal as they age? How to get him to run around more?

TV Dinner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about 7 or 8 now and he still wants to play as much as he always did, but the TYPE of play he seems interested in has gotten more and more lazy. I used to be able to get him flying around with Da Bird or some other toys but now no matter what I try he tends to just want to stay in place, lay on his side and bat at things rolling around. He likes when I kind of take a ribbon and slowly pull it under something too like a towel he will try and get it just as it's about to go under. But, he's really not spending any energy with this type of play and he's getting a little chunky.

Anyway, I've tried some new toys and nothing seems to get him RUNNING. About the only thing that really gets him going is if I can manage to get a moth in the house, which I intentionally try to do by leaving porch light on, then he goes nuts hunting it until he gets it and he runs all over with that.

So is this just kind of him getting older or what? What has been your experience with cats this age and playing and how to get them more physically active when playing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TV Dinner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A part of me also wonders if everything is just boring compared to a moth I think he started to run less with our play after I started trying to get moths for him to hunt which was about 6 months ago we started doing that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably just older yep, but since you are describing it as a pretty dramatic change over a month in a cat already 7 or 8, do keep an eye out on eating, litterbox and other stuff to look for changes and go to the vet if you find other stuff.

Of course, depending on whether you have air conditioning and what temperature you keep it at (or if cat goes outside), even a dramatic change could be easily explained by the heat :)

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I read too quickly, you said a moth, not a month lol! So if it isn't a dramatic change, then yeah, nothing to worry about. And yeah, cats love love bugs. If there is a bug that is realliy hiding in the blinds, sometimes I'll leave it for my cats and they quite often get it done. Just can't count on it, since you know, they cats.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As they age they do not want to play as much but your cat might have arthritis so something like glucosamine can lead with the joints and help them play more :) With seniors they must see the vet every year for a check up. :)

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats used to chase crinkle balls up and down the hallway as fast as he could until he got so worn out he fell asleep, and he kept it up for years. He definitely slowed down considerably around age 8 to 9. You could try playing with your cat when he’s most active (usually the few hours after the sun goes down) to maximize your chances of success.

You mentioned him liking a ribbon under a towel, do you have anything like a cat tunnel or a long box? Or a box with holes in it? I definitely have to make playtime more intriguing now that my cat is older and combining toys he likes with boxes or tunnels is a good way to do it. Actually his favorite thing is when I drape a bathmat or towel over a step stool and throw the ball under it. Gotta create intrigue! Also have you ever tried a cat dancer? Or other attachments for da bird? My cat got bored of da bird but he goes nuts for da bee and da feather mouse lol

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish is 5 and she is much more difficult to get excited except by her own via bugs. I guess it's normal if the change is gradual not sudden. As she became more difficult to engage in play, I increased the novelty. I think mental stimulus is more important than her jumping, if she wants to exercise less, so what? As long as she has fun it's ok