Cat Is Getting 'bitey'

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello... And thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer me with this issue

This is my first cat so I'm not sure what's normal behavior and what isn't. I took in a rescue cat about 4 years and I'd have to say he was pretty traumatized by his first owner when I got him. He was extremely cautious of people, didn't like being picked up, hated being pet'ed and wouldn't purr like most cat's I've known.

After working with him over the last couple years... I'd say he's much happier and stress free. Today he's curious about people he doesn't know, he can get cuddley, he doesn't mind being picked up, he enjoys being pet'ed, and he purrs. So I'd say he's turned into a pretty happy cat instead of a furry bundle of stress when I got him.

So now everyone's up to speed over what I perceive to be his general emotional state ... over the last 4-6 months he's started to get "bitey" when he wants attention. Since it was new behavior from him initially I wasn't sure what was going on with him... Eventually I realized if he wants something, he'll start biting me till I figure out what he wants and give it to him. He's not drawing blood and it's not really that hard... he doesn't do it because he's angry and I'm guessing if I was a cat covered in fur it probably barely register

But It starts in the morning when he wants me to to get up to feed him, he'll start biting me if he wants treats, he'll bite me if he's bored and wants me to play with him... And then there's time's he'll bite me and I can't figure out what he wants.

To be honest it's starting to get kind of annoying and I'd love to figure out how to get him to stop.... Does anyone have any suggestions?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read that kittens squeak or squeal when their siblings play too rough, so when our cats bite us, we should say "owww" in a high pitched tone, to let them know they hurt us. So maybe try saying "owwww" and "no" when he bites you.

I can attest that it actually works, as when I first adopted my Ruby girl, she used to do the "bitey" thing in the morning when she wanted breakfast. One morning she bit too hard and one tooth broke through my skin. It really hurt, and I shrieked "owwwww". My squeal scared Ruby and she crawled under the covers to hide. After that incident she never bit hard again.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, communicate like cats do. Hiss, squeak whatever it takes. And most importantly don't give in and do what he wants as you are just rewarding this biting...