Cat is depressed and sullen over new kitten

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got a new kitten a few weeks ago, Pepper, and slowly introduced her to our 8 year old Gus. There was some hissing and fluffy tails but no swats and by day 3 they were sleeping on the same chair. I think the actual intro went quite well.

But now Gus seems very depressed. He sleeps more than normal, won't snuggle with me, keeps to himself more and the worst thing is he won't look at me. He purposely turns his head or stares right at my cheat, like he's thinking "I'm so PO'd at you I can't bear the sight of you!". Ok, maybe a slight exaggerating, but that's how it appears.

He does interact with Pepper, they were playing in the crinkly tunnel last night and sleep next to each other several hours a day. I think they're fine with each other, it's just me Gus seems to have a problem with.

I've tried spending some time with just him, but he wants nothing to do with me and that's very unlike him. Do you think he just needs more time to adjust? He's usually super loving, very people-oriented and talkative and easy going. I miss him!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just needs some more time to adjust. This is why it's generally recommend that new cats/kittens be introduced slowly. I would make a room for the kitten with all his stuff. A bathroom is fine. Make sure his litter box is in there. Place the kitten in there for brief periods and try to play with your other cat w/o interruption from the kitten. Does he have any interactive string toys he likes? Play is the way to a cat's heart.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He just needs some more time to adjust. This is why it's generally recommend that new cats/kittens be introduced slowly. I would make a room for the kitten with all his stuff. A bathroom is fine. Make sure his litter box is in there. Place the kitten in there for brief periods and try to play with your other cat w/o interruption from the kitten. Does he have any interactive string toys he likes? Play is the way to a cat's heart.
and treats.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. Treats before & after the play sessions. Also, you may be inadvertently spending more time with the kitten & not realize it (It's easy to do as kittens are so needy). Be mindful that you need to spend more time petting, playing with, holding, etc. your old cat until he comes around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Gus doing? Is he still pissed off at you? Any progress?
Yeah, hes still not happy with me. I'd almost say he rolls his eyes when I talk to him. He will come over when I have treats but as soon as I close the bag he's off again. Weve had the kitten for 3 weeks and she's been out of isolation for a week and only unsupervised the last few days. I started using feliway plug ins the day before the kitten came home. I'm surprised he's having such a hard time adjusting to be honest. He is usually so laid back, nothing bothers him. And he's not especially bonded to me, he's an equal opportunity lover.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the other people in the house also remembering to give Gus lots of attention?

I know it took my cats about a month to adjust to a new apartment (which is better than me; I took three months, but then I'm autistic, so I have an excuse!). Changes bug cats a lot. It could just be the fact that his life has changed that's bothering him, really. As long as he's healthy, playing, eating, grooming, I think he really just needs time.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you had him checked out by your vet? It could be a coincidence that he began acting differently after the kitten came, and could be that he actually has a physical illness going on since it is still happening. I would have him checked just to be on the safe side with a full set of labs run. Also have the vet check his eyes, ears, heart, etc. when he does a physical exam.

Does he eat and drink and poo/pee as usual?

In my experience, if they're getting along well after an introduction, but he's still acting not himself, I would head to the vet to make sure something isn't wrong with your sweet boy.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with whollycat.

seems odd that gus would keep acting like that when a) he gets along with the other cat and b) so much time has passed.

maximus7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please get your kitty to the vet.  Odd behavior can be an indication of some illness.  Hopefully he is fine but better to be safe then sorry.

I find it can take several months for an older cat to get used to a new addition.  Of course you may not be reading your baby right.  Cats are wonderful and strange creatures but not always easy to understand.

I know with love and patience this issue will resolve itself.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is on a diet, done very well for the last 6 months but now isnt eating quite as much and seems even more lethargic today. I was starting to wonder if he needs a vet visit too when he woke up from a nap with a crusty eye, so we will be going in the morning anyway. The vet tech I spoke with on the phone agreed it could be depression or it could be something else and the only way to know for sure is having him seen or waiting it out. I feel like he should be adjusting a bit better by now, so i'll update after our appointment tomorrow. Thanks for all your advice!

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're back from the vet and I am so glad I made that appointment last night! He woke up with green snot on the same side as the goopy eye so he definitely had to be seen. He has a URI and was slightly dehydrated. He got a full CBC, kidney and liver enzyme panel and all bloodwork looks great. Hes on abx, an abx ointment for his eyes and something called lysine l (?), an amino acid supplement. He got some fluids and it totally perked him up, even though he wasn't very dehydrated. He came home and ate almost a full 3oz FF can.

The bad news is he needs to be separated from the kitten for a while, she said three weeks. Her first thought is that he got the uri from the kitten, that she must be an asymptomatic carrier. I don't know much about that, but I'm keeping an eye on her. I hope they can readjust to each other in a few weeks without issue.

There was one piece of good news though, his vet is very pleased with his weight, he's 14lbs, 4oz. That's only 2oz shy of 6lbs lost in 8 months--our goal in january was 14 1/2 lbs, so he's perfect. I'm so glad he's gotten to a healthier weight. I can't imagine how much better he feels having lost almost 1/3 of his body weight. I will never again let an animal become so obese, this was a major eye opener for me.

Thanks for all your advice, I think he's on the mend!

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
L-lysine is a diet supplement/vitamin type thing for cats with feline herpes.

Herpes in cats causes cold/URI-type symptoms, and l-lysine helps to prevent the virus from becoming active as often and causing symptoms. :)

I'm guessing your vet thinks Gus has feline herpes -- pretty common, nothing to worry about, but it is a permanent condition that has dormant and active cycles. You might want to call and ask if he tested positive or whether it's just the vet's hunch -- either way, the l-lysine will do him good. :)

More info here.

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She mentioned herpes, but then said it is unlikely. He's 8.5 years and never had this before, even though hes been through lots of stress triggers, doesn't go outside and the only likely place it came from is our new kitten. But she prescribed Enisyl-F anyway, I didn't know that's pretty much the same as L-Lysine, but apparently it is. I will have to discuss it more with her next week. To test for herpes, would that be the swab of the mucus for a respiratory panel? If so, i declined that test bc it was $200 and she said the results take 5 days and she would have put him on the same abx until then anyway. I will double check though. Thanks for the info!

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just one last update--after 5 doses of vibramycin, Gus is doing just fine. Still looking forward to talking to the vet tomorrow and getting more info on uri vs. feline herpes, he is desperate to get out of his room and explore the house. I just want to be sure he can't still infect the kitten.

sararocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lysine is really good for people and pets! The shelter I adopted Rory from gave it to all of their cats. They also told me that the cat version is the same as the human version and MUCH cheaper. They had huge bottles of it they bought for $20.

My little Freyja has feline herpes, and when we adopted her, and the stress of a new home caused a URI. We had to give her azrithromycin (sp?) for almost two weeks before she got better.

I hope Gus gets better soon and is back to normal.

bouldersue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi- I am just reading your story now and have a similar problem with a cat who seems depressed with a new kitten. How is Gus now?